New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple TV Discussion of Apple TV, the new revolution in watching television.

Apple tv2 interfering with my imac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MontanaMac

MontanaMac will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 27" OS X 10.6.4 / 3.2 GHz / Intel Core i3 / 4 GB 13333 MHz DDR3

I bought the ATV2 for viewing internet video (Netflix), but when I use the remote it keeps turning on my iTunes and playing music and flashing my images on the screen. What do I have to do to keep it from interfering with my iMac? Not everyone wants to use the ATV to play iTunes. Has anyone put black tape over the remote eye on the iMac to stop this? Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Heh, yeah, all of Apples products use the same code so all remotes work on everything. I have my old iphone sitting on my TV stand as an iPod and when I use my ATV 2 the iPhone comes on and starts to play music. Since it's in dock and connected to the stereo I don't here the music so it doesn't bother me.

Not sure what to tell you. Moving the two apart would work but that might no jive with your situation. The tape idea might work the best.

QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I don't have my MBP in front of me, but I think you can turn this off in Security settings. You can also pair a machine to a different Apple remote so it will ignore the one you use with you Apple TV.

Or you can just train your Apple TV to use a different remote. That can be dine via the AppleTV settings.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
MontanaMac

I have been trying to figure out where the remote eye is on my iMac, but no luck yet. Maybe I'll have to sell Apple my new invention to stop remote interference with other Apple products. It makes the remote directional. I wonder if Steve Jobs will pay me for this idea.....The toilet paper roller is recycleable
able too......LOL
QUOTE Thanks
MontanaMac

Hehe, I was just trying to be funny......I did disable the remote eye and it worked awesome.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
Or you can just train your Apple TV to use a different remote. That can be dine via the AppleTV settings.

Yes, but the old remotes still work too. Lately I've discovered that the new Apple remotes as well as the one from my Wife's C2D iMac, my new iMac and my old ATV 1 all work by default on my ATV 2. I don't think there are separate codes for devices, at least not that I can tell. I also know my new remote for my ATV 2 works on my wife's C2D iMac just fine as well as all of the iPod docks I have that are capable. I haven't had a chance to try on my iMac yet.

QUOTE Thanks
MontanaMac

The only reason I found out they're on the same code is because my iMac and my ATV are in the same room. I wonder if there's a way to set your own code on each device or remote. I know I'm not the only one that has asked this question.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaMac View Post
The only reason I found out they're on the same code is because my iMac and my ATV are in the same room. I wonder if there's a way to set your own code on each device or remote. I know I'm not the only one that has asked this question.
That's essentially what pairing your machine with a remote does.

QUOTE Thanks
baggss

Quote:
That's essentially what pairing your machine with a remote does.
I've "paired" my older remotes with my ATV but they still control other Apple devices.

QUOTE Thanks
schweb

You're looking at it backwards. The pairing locks the machine, not the remote. Your remote doesn't get reprogrammed in the process.

QUOTE Thanks
baggss

Quote:
You're looking at it backwards. The pairing locks the machine, not the remote. Your remote doesn't get reprogrammed in the process.
Problem is even when I've paired a remote to the ATV 2, other remotes (that have not been paired) will still control it. So while just should lock it, it doesn't appear to actually do so. I guess the OP needs to pair his iMac and ATV to a different remotes and see what happens.

QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

All my devices have the little Apple white remotes and the only way I found to keep them
from interfering with each other is to pair each remote with each device then use a sharpie and put the initial of each piece on each remote.
QUOTE Thanks
MontanaMac

That sounds like a good idea to me.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« AppleTV syncing problems | Storage on apple tv »