New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple TV Discussion of Apple TV, the new revolution in watching television.

ATV Audio connection

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

decoman

decoman is on a distinguished road

Okay I am really close to buying an apple TV as probably getting this weekend. I have done a lot of research and I think it's going to be fine for what I am trying to do.

My question is about the audio connection on the ATV, on the back of the unit it's a digital audio correct? or optical audio? I have an optical audio input on my receiver system where the ATV will go but its being used by my Sat receiver. I have two aux inputs on my receiver system can I use one of those with an adapter of sort? The hdmi would go right to my tv as my receiver system is a few years old and has no hdmi inputs.

Thanks for the help...

24" imac 2009 core 2 duo
2.66 intel Duo Core / 13" mb 2010 / mbpro
ipod touch 1st generation 8gb / Ipod touch 4 gen 8 gb /
iphone 5 16gb / IPad 2 32 gig wi-fi / ATv2
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

First off, optical is digital.

There are two types of digital audio connections - coaxial and optical.

The ATV has an optical port.

You need to verify which one your receiver has.

If it is optical on the receiver, then you'll be looking for an "optical switch". The switch will allow you to connect multiple optical devices to a single output. The only hassle is that you'll have to walk over to the switch and change it when you want to change the input. Should be able to find one at Amazon or monoprice for $10-$20, maybe less.

The coaxial basically looks like a standard old RCA plug. If that's what you have on the receiver, post back and we'll take a look at a different route.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
decoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
First off, optical is digital.

There are two types of digital audio connections - coaxial and optical.

The ATV has an optical port.

You need to verify which one your receiver has.

If it is optical on the receiver, then you'll be looking for an "optical switch". The switch will allow you to connect multiple optical devices to a single output. The only hassle is that you'll have to walk over to the switch and change it when you want to change the input. Should be able to find one at Amazon or monoprice for $10-$20, maybe less.

The coaxial basically looks like a standard old RCA plug. If that's what you have on the receiver, post back and we'll take a look at a different route.
I have the optical port on my receiver so i would need the "switch" then?

24" imac 2009 core 2 duo
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Yep, it'll be called an optical or toslink switch. Here's one from monoprice so you'll know what you're looking for.

You'll need an optical cable from each device to the switch, plus another from the switch to your receiver.

QUOTE Thanks
decoman

Quote:
Yep, it'll be called an optical or toslink switch. Here's one from monoprice so you'll know what you're looking for.

You'll need an optical cable from each device to the switch, plus another from the switch to your receiver.

ok thanks, looked on mono all ready, cheers!

24" imac 2009 core 2 duo
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: -->

Does your tv have optical out? Many current sets do, and you could run everything via hdmi to your tv and then output one optical to your receiver.

2.4GHz 13" rMBP 256gb | 2.5GHz Mac Mini w/ FusionDrive | Mac Mini Server 2.53GHz | Mac Pro 3,1 2x 2.8GHz | Dual 2.0GHz PowerMac G5 | 24" ACD | 32GB Verizon iPhone 5S | iPad 32GB Verizon LTE | iPad mini 16GB | Gen 7 Nano | TV1 | TV3
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

That'd work also, if you switch over and run the audio for the satellite to the TV instead of the receiver.

You would need to use HDMI for the satellite to the TV also or you'd lose any 5.1 audio you're getting from the sat receiver (I don't think there are any TVs that have optical in).

I'd probably verify (owners manual) that the TV will pass thru 5.1, although, if it's got an optical out, am sure it will.

QUOTE Thanks
decoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCL View Post
Does your tv have optical out? Many current sets do, and you could run everything via hdmi to your tv and then output one optical to your receiver.
ok I looked on the set yes it has an optical out.

24" imac 2009 core 2 duo
QUOTE Thanks
decoman

so currently my tv has a hdmi going to sat receiver and my sat receiver has the optical going to the receiver. I do not use the tv volume at all.

24" imac 2009 core 2 duo
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Check it out with the setup you have now, move the optical cable from the sat receiver to the TV. Head into the audio settings on the TV and set it to pass thru the audio. Should work.

This would be a lot more convenient than the switch for sure. Then the audio is just passing automatically from the TV when you change the input from the sat to the ATV without any manual switching.

QUOTE Thanks
decoman

Quote:
Check it out with the setup you have now, move the optical cable from the sat receiver to the TV. Head into the audio settings on the TV and set it to pass thru the audio. Should work.

This would be a lot more convenient than the switch for sure. Then the audio is just passing automatically from the TV when you change the input from the sat to the ATV without any manual switching.
I will do when I get the ATV,so the ATV would goto the receiver or to the sat then?

24" imac 2009 core 2 duo
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

The sat and ATV go to the TV via HDMI.

Then optical to the audio receiver from the TV.

QUOTE Thanks
decoman

Quote:
The sat and ATV go to the TV via HDMI.

Then optical to the audio receiver from the TV.
okay that's what I thought, I tried it with just the TV right now and no sound comes thru the receiver. How is the sound coming from the Sat to the tv? do I need the audio rca's along with the hdmi?

24" imac 2009 core 2 duo
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

audio would be going through the HDMI cable.

You need to go into the TV audio settings and set it up for audio pass thru.

QUOTE Thanks
decoman

Quote:
audio would be going through the HDMI cable.

You need to go into the TV audio settings and set it up for audio pass thru.
I broke out the tv manual looked up the audio connection and it says "if your sound system has a optical digital audio input you can connect it to the optical audio out (gray area) at the rear of the plasma TV. This is active only when receiving digital audio with programs from the DTV/TV CABLE/ANTENNA input."

So sounds like I can only use the optical output on the TV if I use a coaxial connection from my sat receiver.

24" imac 2009 core 2 duo
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« ATv v Ae | Apple TV 2nd Gen - Avi Files & Hack »