New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple TV Discussion of Apple TV, the new revolution in watching television.

ATv v Ae

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Boogie

Boogie is on a distinguished road

I am thinking of getting an Apple TV to replace my Airport Extreme and was wondering if I put the ATV through my Denon amp would I get a better sound quality from it.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Don't really have a clue what you're talking about replacing an AE with an ATV. The basic function of these two devices are not even similar.

If the sound from your Denon amp and speakers provide better sound than your TV speakers do, then yes, they would still do so.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

If you mean would it sound better with the same source, i.e: iTunes files, then no, it'll be the same. That is determined by the source itself.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

If you are using the optical connection from the AE it is bit perfect and should sound great
especially if you used lossless as I did its virtually indistinguishable from a CD.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Wouldn't hardly think that anyone who has a Denon amp would have speakers that sound as shoddy as the average TV speakers. Thus, even the same source is going to sound better than listening on any of the TV speakers I've heard.

QUOTE Thanks
Boogie

Ok lets see if I can make myself a little clearer. First thanks for the replies I have got all ready. I am using an AE through a Denon amp (and yes through decent speakers). I use Itunes files of 1411 AIFF or Apple lossless. It is fed to the amp using the fibre optic lead. If I get ATV and feed music into the amp using HDMI lead will the sound quality be better or is the HDMI feed just for video.I hope this is clearer.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Ok, that's clearer thanks.
The answer is no, it will sound the same or maybe worse, depending on how well the Denon handles audio via HDMI.
Personally I would use an optical cable from the ATV anyway, just because it's there for that purpose and leaves the HDMI cable to deal solely with the video content.

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

If your question is optical vs HDMI, I'd say you'll have to experiment.

Both are passing a digital signal.

I have two surround systems set up here and use my receivers for all my audio/video switching via HDMI. Nothing is connected via optical any longer that has the capability of HDMI.

I have my satellite receivers, a PS3 - aside from games it is used for Netflix, Vudu...; 2 HD-DVD players; Blu-Ray player; a Win 7 HTPC which is used for iTunes, Amazon's Unbox video, hulu, cinemax, netflix... the list goes on; a Roku player...

All are connected via HDMI for audio and video. I have not done any comparison of the audio from the same device trying optical vs HDMI, but I would venture there would be no difference.

I did experiment comparing my MBP via optical and the HTPC via HDMI and I could discern no difference between the two of them on an Onkyo/Infiniti set up listening to music I am very familiar with.

It's also going to depend on the specific Denon you have and the quality of the individual electronics of the optical vs HDMI.

My guess would be, that if you can hear a difference, you'd have to be listening so hard to tell the difference that it would spoil your enjoyment. I don't think the difference would be to the point where you could hear things on one input that you couldn't hear on the other... or have a better frequency response on one vs the other.

The last time I looked at Denon in a serious way was pre-HD audio and ended up going with Yamaha instead. I don't know that you can even set up an HDMI port and assign an optical input to it for the audio portion.

QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
I don't know that you can even set up an HDMI port and assign an optical input to it for the audio portion.
On the ATV if you connect both the audio will by default travel via Optical. Certainly did when I was messing with it (grrrr).
I agree, and suggested it's down to how well the Denon handles the HDMI.
They used to be top notch as you say. Interesting you went Yamaha, as did I

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevriano View Post
On the ATV if you connect both the audio will by default travel via Optical. Certainly did when I was messing with it (grrrr).
That's an interesting default on the ATV.

Did you ever get yours working like you wanted?
Am still considering one along side the PS 3 in the bedroom as I don't need a 2nd HTPC in there. And I do purchase a lot more video content from iTunes than from Amazon.

QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Nope, sent it back as Apple could not assure me that they would ever fix compatibility with older Plasma's, even though they were working on it.
Decided to give up on the TV part and bought an Airport Express to stream my music instead (that would have been main use for ATV, but I liked the option for Youtube streaming etc).
I have a WDTV for HD content, so that's good enough.

QUOTE Thanks
Boogie

So I would not be getting any better sound from an ATV then, so i might as well stay as I am.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Yep, no difference at all, main reason being is that it does not process the sound itself, just passes it through to the amp for decoding.

QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

I've actually been debating the purchase of an ATV vs an Airport Express for the purpose of music streaming. My concern was that I would need to turn on the TV to view a menu on the ATV to start the music streaming. I don't want to have to turn on a TV to start listening to music. Is this an issue, or does the ATV just detect the stream and turn on automagically?

Also, if anyone has tried it, how is the compatibility between ATV/AE and apps like Pandora & Slacker Radio?
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

You would indeed have to have the TV on, unless you have an iPod touch/iPhone, and then you can just use the Apple Remote app to control it, and view on your screen.
If it's solely for music AE is definitely the way to go. Love mine (playing now )

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Jailbreak Apple TV 2G using Greenpois0n RC6 | ATV Audio connection »