New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple TV Discussion of Apple TV, the new revolution in watching television.

iPhone Remote and Apple TV not connecting to iTunes

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

eddimonton

eddimonton is on a distinguished road

I have read a lot about this but I am am still puzzled.

I have just got an Apple TV its connected Wirelessly (I also used ethernet and it made no difference) and I can view YouTube etc but cannot connect to iTunes and it does not appear in iTunes. I have reinstalled iTunes and it still does not work. The remote app on my iPhone also does not connect to iTunes - it will work with Apple TV though. I have ditched the anti virus and turned off the firewall and nothing has changed. I have read about Bonjour but can't figure out if this is an issue?

I have a D-Link 2640R. Is this a network problem or a software problem? Or ultimately I imagine its a user problem but my knowledge is limited. I thought this would be so easy to set up but I'm about ready to take it back to the shop or throw it in the river.....

Please help (plain simple words please)
QUOTE Thanks
4Hummer

4Hummer is on a distinguished road

Have you turned on Home Sharing?

ITunes, Advanced, "Turn On Home Sharing"
QUOTE Thanks
eddimonton

eddimonton is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Hummer View Post
Have you turned on Home Sharing?

ITunes, Advanced, "Turn On Home Sharing"
Yes I have
QUOTE Thanks
DenAtTheDBM

DenAtTheDBM will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black 13.3" MacBook 4,1 Intel Core2 Duo, 4Gigs Ram (2x2G), 2.4GHz, OS X 10.7.2

AppleTV won't show up in iTunes. That's normal. AppleTV will be able to play the music and videos in your iTunes Library if it's setup on both AppleTV and your computer. On the AppleTV, in the "Settings" menu select "Computers" and see if your computer is listed there. If everythings connected to your wifi network and you've already turned on Home Sharing in iTunes, then it should be there. You might have to enter your AppleID password on the AppleTV. Then it should show the name your computer under "Computers" on the main AppleTV screen.

As for the Remote app, you can only use it with one thing at a time. It would be confusing if it controlled both iTunes and AppleTV at the same time. If you go back to the settings you should be able to select iTunes or AppleTV.
QUOTE Thanks
bueller

bueller is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: mac mini, powerbookg4

what version of itunes is required for the "new" appleTV? do you have it?
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenAtTheDBM View Post
AppleTV won't show up in iTunes. That's normal. AppleTV will be able to play the music and videos in your iTunes Library if it's setup on both AppleTV and your computer. On the AppleTV, in the "Settings" menu select "Computers" and see if your computer is listed there. If everythings connected to your wifi network and you've already turned on Home Sharing in iTunes, then it should be there. You might have to enter your AppleID password on the AppleTV. Then it should show the name your computer under "Computers" on the main AppleTV screen.
Correct. The ATV has to be logged into your iTunes account in order to see the shared content. It MUST be the same iTunes account that your computer that hosts the content is logged into.

QUOTE Thanks
Chris68nufc

Chris68nufc is on a distinguished road

Hi, 1st post on this Forum so just a quick hello before I get down to the nitty gritty.....I've just bought apple TV and I'm trying to use the Remote App on ipad2 or iPhone 4 however can't seem to get it working to control the apple tv!
I have turned on both home sharing functions on iTunes and apple tv, I am only able to see my iTunes library and not apple tv, can I only use 1 home sharing at a time or should I be able to have both home sharing activated at once?
I'm pulling my hair out here....fingers crossed somebody can help me!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« atv2 help please | How to sync existing AppleTV media data to newly installed TimeCapsule? »