Apple TV2 on Standard Def Plasma

Hi,

I have a new Apple TV2 on a new Sony HD tv and its great. So I bought one for my kids playroom in the hope that I could easily convert from the HDMI output from the Apple TV to the component or composite input on my tv. Early indications (HDMI to composite) are that its not going to be that easy.

The TV is a 42" Hitachi (early plasma), standard definition with 2 x component inputs, composite inputs, S-Vidio and SCART inputs.

I realise that the definition is a problem now as well as connectivity.

Any ideas or has anyone been able to get Apple TV2 to work with a standard def setup similar to mine?

Thanks,
    Chris

Specs:
    20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
    2 things. I suspect that even if you could connect it, you will not get a picture, or you will be stuck on a low res signal, as I have a Hitachi plasma with a DVI port, so HD compatible, and that is the problem I had, and then after a software update, I get nothing!
    I think you will find that ATV2 requires an HD ready TV because a device like this will not scale the 720p output of the Apple TV to be compatible with a non HD TV. You would need a separate scaler. These tend to be costly. It would probably make more sense to buy a new TV.
    Sorry if that's bad news. ATV 1 would more likely work better.
    Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

Oh dear. Looks like ebay for my ATV2!

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '11 1.8 i7 4GB 10.10; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.10; 5s & 5c
    Yep, to get from digital HDMI to analog component, you're probably looking at a $250 converter box.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg View Post
    Oh dear. Looks like ebay for my ATV2!
    On the plus side, the old Apple TV would actually be a great fit for your TV, and you should be able to pick one up cheap off eBay or CraigsList. It has component video out and supports 480p.

Specs:
    20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
    On the plus side, the old Apple TV would actually be a great fit for your TV, and you should be able to pick one up cheap off eBay or CraigsList. It has component video out and supports 480p.
    Ha, you'd be surprised. Not at all cheap, still more than the new one costs. It's because it's "hackable" I guess.
    I will be getting one myself, but will be buying new at £149. They still sell used for £120 ish used, so no point.

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevriano View Post
    Ha, you'd be surprised. Not at all cheap, still more than the new one costs. It's because it's "hackable" I guess.
    I will be getting one myself, but will be buying new at £149. They still sell used for £120 ish used, so no point.
    There's plenty of them on eBay for under 100 bucks. Many under $80. So yah… cheap. Certainly cheaper than making the ATV2 work for him.

Specs:
    Jeez, the US is so much cheaper than the UK for used Mac stuff. Bigger secondary market I guess.
    Last one I saw sold for £120. Mad eh.
    But, yes, of course, it's a much better option as I suggested earlier.

Guys, thanks for all the posts and comments. I will ebay my ATV2 and buy a used ATV1 for the old plasma.

Cheers,
    Chris

Thread Information