New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple TV Discussion of Apple TV, the new revolution in watching television.

Advantage of Jailbreaking?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cosjoe

cosjoe is on a distinguished road

i'm new to the forum - So a quick hello to all

I've purchased apple tv2g recently and loved it so - it was my favorite x-mas present to give -- and for what it provides I'm very happy with-
I've been seeing certain sites promoting the idea of jailbreaking my apple tv
2g, but i'm not sure what the advantages are --
Boxee (don't know what this program is really)
I don't have any videos that are in other formats so is jailbreaking for me? or should I be happier that ignorance is bliss?:
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

Jailbreaking allows software modifications and installation of apps not approved by Apple. In the case of the iPhone, in certain situations, the advantages of jailbreaking are obvious. In the US for example, jailbreaking allows locked iPhones to be unlocked so they can be used with other carriers besides AT&T.

Honestly, at this point, jailbreaking the AppleTV isn't really that useful. It won't offer very many useful features to the average user, however, the ability to jailbreak it opens up the possibility for developers to create new apps and alter the existing software to give it new abilities. So a couple years from now, there may be dozens of new features and abilities available for jailbroken ATVs. No one really knows what innovations software devs and hackers may come up with in the coming months...
QUOTE Thanks
|HMM|

|HMM| is on a distinguished road

I've got the 160g ATV so there is an advantage with it. NitoTV allows me to stream from my external HD any format on there. The ATV2s don't appear to have all the bugs worked out just yet so I'm waiting on buying one until I feel they will work as well as my current set up. After the jailbreak that is...
QUOTE Thanks
Delldog33

Delldog33 is on a distinguished road

Jailbreaking will allow you to use Plex Media server which is the best App I have. I can stream my movie collection, music and videos to my TV thru the free Plex server and wife and kids love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosjoe View Post
i'm new to the forum - So a quick hello to all

I've purchased apple tv2g recently and loved it so - it was my favorite x-mas present to give -- and for what it provides I'm very happy with-
I've been seeing certain sites promoting the idea of jailbreaking my apple tv
2g, but i'm not sure what the advantages are --
Boxee (don't know what this program is really)
I don't have any videos that are in other formats so is jailbreaking for me? or should I be happier that ignorance is bliss?:
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delldog33 View Post
Jailbreaking will allow you to use Plex Media server which is the best App I have. I can stream my movie collection, music and videos to my TV thru the free Plex server and wife and kids love it.
I may be stating the obvious here, but the ATV 2 does all that out of the box. Now, all of my media is ATV compatible (I rip/convert my own) so I have no real issues but I guess it could be handy for some who have multiple formats. I assume you fall into that category?

QUOTE Thanks
|HMM|

|HMM| is on a distinguished road

Will the Plex Media play avi files stored on a network drive?
QUOTE Thanks
decoman

decoman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by |HMM| View Post
Will the Plex Media play avi files stored on a network drive?
it does for me...

24" imac 2009 core 2 duo
2.66 intel Duo Core / 13" mb 2010 / mbpro
ipod touch 1st generation 8gb / Ipod touch 4 gen 8 gb /
iphone 5 16gb / IPad 2 32 gig wi-fi / ATv2
QUOTE Thanks
decoman

decoman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
I may be stating the obvious here, but the ATV 2 does all that out of the box. Now, all of my media is ATV compatible (I rip/convert my own) so I have no real issues but I guess it could be handy for some who have multiple formats. I assume you fall into that category?
Plex allows me to play my avi files w/o converting them and that makes plex worth it and jailbreaking of course.

24" imac 2009 core 2 duo
2.66 intel Duo Core / 13" mb 2010 / mbpro
ipod touch 1st generation 8gb / Ipod touch 4 gen 8 gb /
iphone 5 16gb / IPad 2 32 gig wi-fi / ATv2
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by decoman View Post
Plex allows me to play my avi files w/o converting them and that makes plex worth it and jailbreaking of course.
So the answer is yes, you do fall into that category....

QUOTE Thanks
Delldog33

Delldog33 is on a distinguished road

yes I do. It just seems alot easier to manage my media without having to convert anything. There are also additional plugins that you can access that unjailbroken APTV2 does not have.
QUOTE Thanks
Tommyg80

Tommyg80 is on a distinguished road

My APV was jail-broken, but I have since restored it. What I did enjoy about the Jail-broken ATV and XBMC is I was apple to point my ATV at my network drive and stream my media without the use of a computer. I dislike having to have I tunes running, but in the end, the constant hassle of messing with it wasn't worth it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple TV Vs. HDMI Port for MacBook | Apple TV 2 + iTunes on Time Capsule »