New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple TV Discussion of Apple TV, the new revolution in watching television.

Apple TV2 - not working after update?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Hi. Installed my Apple TV yesterday, and had it working (though not displaying a full widescreen image on my Plasma - more in a minute), and when I was going through the menu I checked the software update pane, to find that there was an update available, so I clicked it to install, let it go through it's motions, and lo and behold, it no longer works.
I get no picture, or a load of noise with my TV constantly switching off and on detecting the signal and then losing it.
I have tried a different HDMI cable, and the same happens.
I am running it through a powered HDMI switch box, which connects to my TV via an HDMI-DVI cable (no HDMI on the TV, it's 4 years old), which should make no difference, as everything else works fine through it, and as I say the Apple TV was working before the update anyway, with the exception of the picture.
So, what to do now?
I don't yet have a micro usb cable (grrrr, why not make it a standard or mini, not micro!), so can't connect to my Mac to restore it at the moment.

Has anyone else had any issues with the software update?

As for the picture.

I had it showing on my screen as roughly a 14:9 aspect, with horrible white noise either side of the main viewing area of the screen.
Surely it should be a 16:9 picture, right? Full widescreen?

All suggestions welcome (I'd rather not have to buy a cable, but bet I will need to, negating the saving I made buying it - grrrr).
I haven't yet tried a direct to TV connection, by-passing the box, but as I said, it was working anyway.

Thanks.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
DavidHH

DavidHH has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini

I would still try the direct TV Connection.
Switch boxes can do strange things.

My update went seamlessly - no problem.

DavidH
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Update.
Tried a direct connection and no luck, just a big green screen.
Tried on my daughters newer LCD, works no problem.
Looked on Apple forums, 45 pages of people with the same problem! It's an HDMI handshake issue with certain brands of television.
Apparantly Apple are aware and have said it will be fixed, but as it stands there's no news about when.
Therefore it's a useless item to me, and needs to be returned. I hope Amazon will be good about it, I'm within my 30 day period anyway.
Buyers beware I think, it may not work unless you have a new TV, or something that isn't Philips, Hitachi, Sony...

Grr at Apple.

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I'd really like to understand the issues regarding the handshake problem.

Why is it that no DVD player, Blu-Ray player, HD-DVD player, PS3, XBox 360 have no issue connecting to any TV HDMI port, but when you start talking about computers and the handshake whether it's a Mac, Win or Linux box - now there are problems?

Likely Apple is using the same thing on the ATV it uses on it's Macs, why I ask here.

Anyone here in the industry and in the know about these issues?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
MikeM

MikeM has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 13" MBP - Mid 2012 - i7 / iPad Air / iPhone 5s / ATV3

I don't have specific info concerning HDMI handshaking but have dealt with SATA handshaking issues over the last year and a large part of that problem is companies not following the official standards to the letter and making certain changes to allow for better compatability with their own hardware.

In other words, it's possible that one side or both are not using full HDMI standards for one reason or another and the only way to overcome this is for direct engineering between the companies affected (i.e. Apple will need to work with whatever TV manufacturers are having issues with the TV to update the code to function with their implementation of HDMI).

From my personal experience, I have a new LG TV and the Apple TV has worked perfect all along with the latest FW. Haven't tried it on my 1 year old Samsung TV yet.

-Mike
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Update:

I called Apple today, as Amazon insisted I try that first.
The response was interesting.

They admitted that there is a problem with the new Apple TV working with certain screens, and are keeping logs of all issues called in to them, and passing them on to engineering.
They took as much detail as I could give about my particular plasma, and about the connection I am using.
They believe it is an issue either with the HDMI handshake, or with HDCP compliance with older sets, as apparently the standard for HDCP has changed. The big problem is for them to fix it they need to get hold of the affected screens and backward engineer. Not so easy.
They have recommended I return it now.

What a great shame that is. I was looking forward to the integration between my iTunes and the TV, as my old Roku Soundbridge has died.
As I said before, buyer beware if you have an older TV, and probably best to look on Apple's discussion boards first.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple TV and Iomega 2TB or Time Capsule | Resident Evil:Afterlife »