New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple TV Discussion of Apple TV, the new revolution in watching television.

No Audio???

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

NewMacUser5

NewMacUser5 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro - 2.4GHz C2D - 4GB RAM - 250GB Hard Drive

So i just received my Apple TV today and hooked it up. I am able to see everything up on my tv but when I go to play music/movie, there is no sound. I have an HDMI cable going from the ATV to my tv (Its a 52" JVC HDILA Rear Projector - model JVC HD-52Z575 - I think). I went into my audio settings on the tv but did not find anything. Is there a correct order they should be hooked up? Should the tv have been off when plugging the HDMI in? I'm completely stumped and I'm hoping it is something minor.

I did read somewhere that older tvs can transmit video over HDMI but lack audio support - that true?

Is there a converter that I can use - HDMI from ATV to converter to component cables to TV?

Any help would be great - thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
NewMacUser5

QUOTE Thanks
roflitskyle

roflitskyle has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD

To post a picture: take the picture with camera/iPhone and upload it to TinyPic or PhotoBucket. When you finish uploading it grab the url with .[IMG] for forums. Copy that link and paste it in a reply and it will post.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
NewMacUser5

bobtomay - I will be trying what you posted soon and let you know how I make out. Thanks for the pics as this makes things easier!

roflitskyle - thanks for the info on how to post pics!
QUOTE Thanks
NewMacUser5

I will be home shortly to try - I thought the Digital-in audio was already set to digital but I will check. Finally got pics up of the converter. I'm thinking if all else fails, this should hopefully help.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

If your video is fine - fits the screen ok - you don't need to change that first one.
The second one is the audio setting - that's the one you need to make sure is set to digital.

Text is probably not going to look very pretty at 480p on that size screen. But, for watching videos and pictures, it should be ok.

I do not have an ATV, so I don't know what settings are available on it. If after you have the TV setting correct and still have no audio, then it's time to check the audio output settings on the ATV.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
NewMacUser5

Finally got audio!! Unplugged everything and did what you said bob - thanks so much!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is AppleTV for me | Considering getting Atv »