New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple TV Discussion of Apple TV, the new revolution in watching television.

Netflix

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kslingo

kslingo can only hope to improve

Anyone have the problem where netflix takes forever to load??? It will start to load then kick me back to the selection screen...

This has happened after the update, and I cant recall the firmware back to the original one (4.1) cause apple checks the firmware..

Suggestions?? I have dried google dns, changing the dns to my ISP and it doesnt work...

I have a 2wire modem with 1.5 mb/s down and i can stream on netflix.com and my iPhone and Wii... it just refuses to play on apple tv and its mad annoying...m
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslingo View Post

I have a 2wire modem with 1.5 mb/s down and i can stream on netflix.com and my iPhone and Wii... it just refuses to play on apple tv and its mad annoying...m
Are you trying to stream HD? 1.5Mb/s is fairly low bandwidth for any kind of streaming, particular HD, and particularly when there's more than one device using that bandwidth. Any chance your ISP offers greater bandwidth?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
kslingo

Netflix should be able to decide if my connection is able to play HD or not... Thats what it does on the computer...

Aparently this is a issue that apple needs to address in a future update...
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Aparently this is a issue that apple needs to address in a future update...
Yes, because there is no way it could be your setup or anything....

QUOTE Thanks
kslingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Yes, because there is no way it could be your setup or anything....
im not saying that It is... but it works fine on netflix on my computer and iPhone... so I have no idea what else to do I have tried...
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

I bought a Gen 2 ATV this afternoon. The Netflix experience seems a bit erratic thus far for me. I'll reserve judgement for now. I watched an episode of "American Dad" and noticed pixelation in the various outlines drawn to detail the characters. I noticed pulsating lighting and similar pixelation on the movie "Surrogates" with some of the background lighting, mostly tubular and linear light sources and liner shapes that were lighted.

The same shows were just fine on my MacBook Air 3,2. They were also fine on the same TV I use the ATV with when I used my Mac Mini to view them via the Mini's mini-display to VGA connection. My TV is a decent 37" LCD with resolution up to 1080i. I'm wondering if I need to adjust the resolution down to 480-something when using Netflix on it?

Anyhow, I'll mess with it more this week and see if there is some setting I need to tweak.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: -->

Perfect for me on the ATV2. I am on a 6mbps down on AT&T DSL. Are you guys using wired or wireless??

2.4GHz 13" rMBP 256gb | 2.5GHz Mac Mini w/ FusionDrive | Mac Mini Server 2.53GHz | Mac Pro 3,1 2x 2.8GHz | Dual 2.0GHz PowerMac G5 | 24" ACD | 32GB Verizon iPhone 5S | iPad 32GB Verizon LTE | iPad mini 16GB | Gen 7 Nano | TV1 | TV3
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCL View Post
Perfect for me on the ATV2. I am on a 6mbps down on AT&T DSL. Are you guys using wired or wireless??
I'm using Comcast 6MB. My ATV2 and Mini are wired to an Airport Extreme N with gigabit and my MBA is connected via Wireless N.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light

You have plenty of bandwidth to do Netflix without a hiccup. I know there are times that I see choppy / blurry video on my iPad, but it usually clears in a minute or two. We have the same setup, and I have my ATV wireless and have had 100% perfect results so far.

On a side note Dave, how is that new MBA working out for you? The wife loves hers!

2.4GHz 13" rMBP 256gb | 2.5GHz Mac Mini w/ FusionDrive | Mac Mini Server 2.53GHz | Mac Pro 3,1 2x 2.8GHz | Dual 2.0GHz PowerMac G5 | 24" ACD | 32GB Verizon iPhone 5S | iPad 32GB Verizon LTE | iPad mini 16GB | Gen 7 Nano | TV1 | TV3
QUOTE Thanks
iLars

iLars is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Anyone have the problem where netflix takes forever to load??? It will start to load then kick me back to the selection screen...

This has happened after the update, and I cant recall the firmware back to the original one (4.1) cause apple checks the firmware..

Suggestions?? I have dried google dns, changing the dns to my ISP and it doesnt work...

I have the same problem, after a couple of seconds of loading, I get kicked back into the selection-screen. I only experience this issue when I'm connected through a EU-US VPN(3/1Mbit) If connected through a different uplink(12/5Mbit) it works just fine.

I'm able to stream on my Mac through the VPN, no problem. But after the firmware-update the AppleTV stopped. Any input?
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

When you couple slower internet speeds with less robust G wifi, it's going to make Netflix a little flaky.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
iLars

iLars is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
When you couple slower internet speeds with less robust G wifi, it's going to make Netflix a little flaky.
OK, but the ATV is not on a wireless connection(1.5m cable). And the Asus RT-N16(DD-WRT) was working just fine for a month until recently.

It seems the loading "times out" earlier now than on earlier firmware... :/
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

Quote:
You have plenty of bandwidth to do Netflix without a hiccup. I know there are times that I see choppy / blurry video on my iPad, but it usually clears in a minute or two. We have the same setup, and I have my ATV wireless and have had 100% perfect results so far.
Go figure. I'm going to try and see if the multicast rate set on the router does anything. I doubt it, but it's something to try. I did notice that the videos on the ATV don't seem to have any visual indicator of any caching ahead of what I'm watching. I could swear it caches ahead a small amount on the Mini, but I'll have to look again when I get home from work.

Quote:
On a side note Dave, how is that new MBA working out for you? The wife loves hers!
So far I am extremely happy with the13" MBA. I figured if I bought one they might just come out with a back lit keyboard model sooner. I may have just saved everyone a 6 month wait on that feature!

QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
Go figure. I'm going to try and see if the multicast rate set on the router does anything. I doubt it, but it's something to try. I did notice that the videos on the ATV don't seem to have any visual indicator of any caching ahead of what I'm watching. I could swear it caches ahead a small amount on the Mini, but I'll have to look again when I get home from work.
Let me know how it works out. It is interesting to see some of the issues with this, especially using virtually the same hardware and same connection speeds. A visual would be nice, you would think that it would have to be doing some caching to work properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
So far I am extremely happy with the13" MBA. I figured if I bought one they might just come out with a back lit keyboard model sooner. I may have just saved everyone a 6 month wait on that feature!
Ha, yeah! Like I said, the wife loves hers, but when she looks over and sees my keyboard she gets a little testy! Not sure why they left that out. I doubt it takes that much extra space. I just saw that you went all out with the Air, wow what a machine!

QUOTE Thanks
talleyrand

talleyrand is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 3 Ghz i3 iMac, Macbook Pro, Old G5, iPhone, iPad, and a drawer of iPods

Netflix works like a charm for me.

Wireless G, 3 Mbs internet connection. Plays HD whenever possible.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Handling my apple remote with the ATV and MacbookPro | Apple Tv transfer data to the HD »