Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: Netflix

  1. #1


    Member Since
    Feb 17, 2008
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    155
    Exclamation Netflix
    Anyone have the problem where netflix takes forever to load??? It will start to load then kick me back to the selection screen...

    This has happened after the update, and I cant recall the firmware back to the original one (4.1) cause apple checks the firmware..

    Suggestions?? I have dried google dns, changing the dns to my ISP and it doesnt work...

    I have a 2wire modem with 1.5 mb/s down and i can stream on netflix.com and my iPhone and Wii... it just refuses to play on apple tv and its mad annoying...m

  2. #2

    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,911
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by kslingo View Post

    I have a 2wire modem with 1.5 mb/s down and i can stream on netflix.com and my iPhone and Wii... it just refuses to play on apple tv and its mad annoying...m
    Are you trying to stream HD? 1.5Mb/s is fairly low bandwidth for any kind of streaming, particular HD, and particularly when there's more than one device using that bandwidth. Any chance your ISP offers greater bandwidth?
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Feb 17, 2008
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    155
    Netflix should be able to decide if my connection is able to play HD or not... Thats what it does on the computer...

    Aparently this is a issue that apple needs to address in a future update...

  4. #4

    baggss's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 10, 2004
    Location
    Margaritaville
    Posts
    10,311
    Specs:
    27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 10.10.2 -64Gb iPad 2-64 Gb iPhone 6+-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage
    Quote Originally Posted by kslingo View Post
    Aparently this is a issue that apple needs to address in a future update...
    Yes, because there is no way it could be your setup or anything....


  5. #5


    Member Since
    Feb 17, 2008
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by baggss View Post
    Yes, because there is no way it could be your setup or anything....
    im not saying that It is... but it works fine on netflix on my computer and iPhone... so I have no idea what else to do I have tried...

  6. #6

    XJ-linux's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 02, 2007
    Location
    Going Galt...
    Posts
    3,451
    Specs:
    MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.4.1
    I bought a Gen 2 ATV this afternoon. The Netflix experience seems a bit erratic thus far for me. I'll reserve judgement for now. I watched an episode of "American Dad" and noticed pixelation in the various outlines drawn to detail the characters. I noticed pulsating lighting and similar pixelation on the movie "Surrogates" with some of the background lighting, mostly tubular and linear light sources and liner shapes that were lighted.

    The same shows were just fine on my MacBook Air 3,2. They were also fine on the same TV I use the ATV with when I used my Mac Mini to view them via the Mini's mini-display to VGA connection. My TV is a decent 37" LCD with resolution up to 1080i. I'm wondering if I need to adjust the resolution down to 480-something when using Netflix on it?

    Anyhow, I'll mess with it more this week and see if there is some setting I need to tweak.
    Never judge a man, untill you have walked a mile in his shoes...
    That way you'll be a mile away from him, and you'll have his shoes.

  7. #7

    JohnCL's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 29, 2009
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    1,202
    Specs:
    -->
    Perfect for me on the ATV2. I am on a 6mbps down on AT&T DSL. Are you guys using wired or wireless??
    13" rMBP 256gb | Mac Mini | 24" ACD | 64GB Verizon iPhone 6s Plus | 64GB iPad Air 2 LTE | 16GB iPad mini 2 | Gen 7 Nano | Gen 4 iPod Touch | TV1 | TV3 | TV4 | Watch Sport 42mm Space Gray

  8. #8

    XJ-linux's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 02, 2007
    Location
    Going Galt...
    Posts
    3,451
    Specs:
    MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.4.1
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnCL View Post
    Perfect for me on the ATV2. I am on a 6mbps down on AT&T DSL. Are you guys using wired or wireless??
    I'm using Comcast 6MB. My ATV2 and Mini are wired to an Airport Extreme N with gigabit and my MBA is connected via Wireless N.
    Never judge a man, untill you have walked a mile in his shoes...
    That way you'll be a mile away from him, and you'll have his shoes.

  9. #9

    JohnCL's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 29, 2009
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    1,202
    Specs:
    -->
    You have plenty of bandwidth to do Netflix without a hiccup. I know there are times that I see choppy / blurry video on my iPad, but it usually clears in a minute or two. We have the same setup, and I have my ATV wireless and have had 100% perfect results so far.

    On a side note Dave, how is that new MBA working out for you? The wife loves hers!
    13" rMBP 256gb | Mac Mini | 24" ACD | 64GB Verizon iPhone 6s Plus | 64GB iPad Air 2 LTE | 16GB iPad mini 2 | Gen 7 Nano | Gen 4 iPod Touch | TV1 | TV3 | TV4 | Watch Sport 42mm Space Gray

  10. #10


    Member Since
    Sep 03, 2010
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by kslingo View Post
    Anyone have the problem where netflix takes forever to load??? It will start to load then kick me back to the selection screen...

    This has happened after the update, and I cant recall the firmware back to the original one (4.1) cause apple checks the firmware..

    Suggestions?? I have dried google dns, changing the dns to my ISP and it doesnt work...

    I have a 2wire modem with 1.5 mb/s down and i can stream on netflix.com and my iPhone and Wii... it just refuses to play on apple tv and its mad annoying...m
    I have the same problem, after a couple of seconds of loading, I get kicked back into the selection-screen. I only experience this issue when I'm connected through a EU-US VPN(3/1Mbit) If connected through a different uplink(12/5Mbit) it works just fine.

    I'm able to stream on my Mac through the VPN, no problem. But after the firmware-update the AppleTV stopped. Any input?

  11. #11

    schweb's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 27, 2002
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    13,190
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
    When you couple slower internet speeds with less robust G wifi, it's going to make Netflix a little flaky.
    schweb | community leader
    flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

    Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr


  12. #12


    Member Since
    Sep 03, 2010
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by schweb View Post
    When you couple slower internet speeds with less robust G wifi, it's going to make Netflix a little flaky.
    OK, but the ATV is not on a wireless connection(1.5m cable). And the Asus RT-N16(DD-WRT) was working just fine for a month until recently.

    It seems the loading "times out" earlier now than on earlier firmware... :/

  13. #13

    XJ-linux's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 02, 2007
    Location
    Going Galt...
    Posts
    3,451
    Specs:
    MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.4.1
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnCL View Post
    You have plenty of bandwidth to do Netflix without a hiccup. I know there are times that I see choppy / blurry video on my iPad, but it usually clears in a minute or two. We have the same setup, and I have my ATV wireless and have had 100% perfect results so far.
    Go figure. I'm going to try and see if the multicast rate set on the router does anything. I doubt it, but it's something to try. I did notice that the videos on the ATV don't seem to have any visual indicator of any caching ahead of what I'm watching. I could swear it caches ahead a small amount on the Mini, but I'll have to look again when I get home from work.

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnCL View Post
    On a side note Dave, how is that new MBA working out for you? The wife loves hers!
    So far I am extremely happy with the13" MBA. I figured if I bought one they might just come out with a back lit keyboard model sooner. I may have just saved everyone a 6 month wait on that feature!
    Never judge a man, untill you have walked a mile in his shoes...
    That way you'll be a mile away from him, and you'll have his shoes.

  14. #14

    JohnCL's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 29, 2009
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    1,202
    Specs:
    -->
    Quote Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
    Go figure. I'm going to try and see if the multicast rate set on the router does anything. I doubt it, but it's something to try. I did notice that the videos on the ATV don't seem to have any visual indicator of any caching ahead of what I'm watching. I could swear it caches ahead a small amount on the Mini, but I'll have to look again when I get home from work.
    Let me know how it works out. It is interesting to see some of the issues with this, especially using virtually the same hardware and same connection speeds. A visual would be nice, you would think that it would have to be doing some caching to work properly.


    Quote Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
    So far I am extremely happy with the13" MBA. I figured if I bought one they might just come out with a back lit keyboard model sooner. I may have just saved everyone a 6 month wait on that feature!
    Ha, yeah! Like I said, the wife loves hers, but when she looks over and sees my keyboard she gets a little testy! Not sure why they left that out. I doubt it takes that much extra space. I just saw that you went all out with the Air, wow what a machine!
    13" rMBP 256gb | Mac Mini | 24" ACD | 64GB Verizon iPhone 6s Plus | 64GB iPad Air 2 LTE | 16GB iPad mini 2 | Gen 7 Nano | Gen 4 iPod Touch | TV1 | TV3 | TV4 | Watch Sport 42mm Space Gray

  15. #15


    Member Since
    Aug 19, 2005
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    41
    Specs:
    3 Ghz i3 iMac, Macbook Pro, Old G5, iPhone, iPad, and a drawer of iPods
    Netflix works like a charm for me.

    Wireless G, 3 Mbs internet connection. Plays HD whenever possible.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. netflix now available in the UK
    By j0nb0y32 in forum Schweb's Lounge
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-11-2012, 07:18 AM
  2. Netflix
    By appleXcore in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-13-2011, 01:25 PM
  3. netflix
    By brandon.s96 in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-21-2011, 08:42 AM
  4. Netflix
    By AbbyBee in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-02-2008, 11:34 AM
  5. Netflix
    By schweb in forum Schweb's Lounge
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 09-14-2005, 10:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •