New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple TV Discussion of Apple TV, the new revolution in watching television.

Digital Decoder to Mini Display Port

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

clumster

clumster is on a distinguished road

Hey Everyone,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I am having a problem with connecting my digital decoder to my new iMac 27" . HDMI coming out the back of the digital decoder and into a Kanex XD signal converter which converts the HDMI signal into a mini display port cable. I have tried everything I can think of doing to try and get the LED display on the mac working, new cables, new Kanex XD box, changing the settings and I got the local mac guy in and we couldn't get it to work. Not sure if anyone else has got one of these working or knows any other ways of doing it, but If you have any ideas I would be very grateful for the help.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

First thing: what digital decoder are you using, what device is the signal originating from and what port on that device?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

And to add to bobtomays question what resolution is the decoder outputting?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
clumster

720p is the output resolution of the digital decoder
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried this:
Kanex XD User Guide & Tips - Kanex Blog
QUOTE Thanks
clumster

Thanks but yes .. It has really taken it out of me looking for the problem
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

Then I think some more details of the decoder (make & model) and further info re: bobtomays post
QUOTE Thanks
clumster

http://www.skytv.co.nz/Portals/0/dat...r-Iss1-Web.pdf

That is the manual to the decoder. It has its specs in there. . And the signal coming out of the my sky decoder is 720p and out of the HDMI port. I have tried all of the different settings i'm pretty sure.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

I'm presuming that when connected to a TV by HDMI all is OK?

Do you have another HDMI device you could try?

Have you spoken to Kanex?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

First, I'd suggest re-reading through pages 57-59 of the iSky manual and adjust the output to 720p on the DVR. Next, I would try the 'Auto' setting.

Make sure you are connecting the devices in the proper order per Kanex. This is probably required for the proper handshake all the way around.

What lights do you have on the Kanex device? See their troubleshooting guide.

Finally, contact Kanex support. They will be the ones best able to assist further. They would also be the ones that may be aware if there is some inherent issue between your DVR and their adapter.

All of the above "assumes" that the DVR and the specific HDMI cable you are using are both known to work connected to a TV.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
clumster

I should probably mention that the very first time I tried it the video and audio worked so i'm not sure what happened.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple TV Novice | old ATV solutions »