New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple TV Discussion of Apple TV, the new revolution in watching television.

Cant watch my vids unless itunes is open?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gsibley

gsibley is on a distinguished road

My new Apple TV works great for everything but getting info from my own iMac. When I scroll to "computer" to watch my own videos or review pictures residing on my Mac the screen says ..... turn on Sharing. I have done this and the only time I can stream pics and vids to my Apple TV is when I physically have itunes open on my Mac. Surely this does not have to be the case. Do I really have to run downstairs turn on my Mac then run back up to watch vids and pics residing on my iMac. HELP!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
gsibley

I have also selected "wake for network access" and it still doesn't help
QUOTE Thanks
gsibley

And .... it seems the only way to be able to access my Library is to have iTunes open. Can anyone tell me if this is the case with everyone else. On my original AppleTV I didnt think I had to open iTunes first before being able to access my Library!?
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Yes, it is. The content is streamed from your iTunes library, it's designed to be that way. iTunes is the conduit that access the media on the drive(s) and streams it to the ATV. My Mac is on and iTunes is always open so I never have this issue.

On the original ATV you could copy content to the internal ATV HDD and watch it from there. The ATV 2 has no internal storage so it all streams. No iTunes, no content.

Frankly, it sounds like you should have done some research before purchasing an ATV 2. This is neither a big deal or a surprise, it is as designed.

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I don't have an ATV, but I do use HomeSharing with my Win7 machine and iTunes is open (and minimized) if my Mac is turned on. It's not a hog on CPU cycles or memory if it's not doing anything. Shouldn't be a problem leaving iTunes open all the time. No reason to run back downstairs, if it's never closed.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
talleyrand

talleyrand is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 3 Ghz i3 iMac, Macbook Pro, Old G5, iPhone, iPad, and a drawer of iPods

the ATV 2 has to have several Gb's of flash memory. At least to cache.

But, yeah. Just leave iTunes going. Right click the iTunes icon, set to "Open at Login".
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb

Yep iTunes does have to be open, it's not like iTunes is actually playing anything so it's not using a big amount of CPU time.

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Library Sync Very Slow | Noob Apple TV Q.. »