New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple TV Discussion of Apple TV, the new revolution in watching television.

best streaming option?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Binarybloke

Binarybloke is on a distinguished road

I'm on the verge of buying ATV2 but I'm not sure my wireless network will cope with streaming so could do with abit of advice as regards the best way to configure my setup.

I'd like to use my redundant G4 1.25 to stream content from iTunes to ATV but my wireless connection to this computer is pretty poor with just the Airport Express. Is signal strength still important given that I'll only be streaming locally?

If so, I'm guessing my other options are to buy a second Airport Express to boost the signal or go the next step and get the Airport Extreme basestation?

Cheers for any help

iMac 3.06 Intel OSX10.6
iBook G4 OSX10.5
G4 Power Mac 1.25 MDD OSX10.5
Airport Express
DLink ADSL router
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

You need the streaming devices and your router to support 802.11n in order to get the best quality experience. Anything less than "n" speeds and you could experience dropping, stuttering, or lower quality.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Binarybloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
Anything less than "n" speeds and you could experience dropping, stuttering, or lower quality.
Thanks schweb that's very helpful

Do you know of any problems streaming from iTunes in osx 10.5?
QUOTE Thanks
4Hummer

4Hummer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binarybloke View Post
Thanks schweb that's very helpful

Do you know of any problems streaming from iTunes in osx 10.5?
No Issues with 10.5. As stated above, it's all about your network setup, You can hardwire the Apple TV to your network (it has an RJ45 port), I had to ditch my Dlink G Router do to shuttering and lag on the Apple TV, an AirPort Extreme resolved all my issues
QUOTE Thanks
PDACPA

PDACPA is on a distinguished road

Your broadband provider probably offers options for upload and download speeds. Increasing the download speed would help too.

I have a N router and connect to my ATV2 via wifi with a 35 down 20 up from Verizon's Fios service. Absolutely seemless. You do not know its coming off the internet vs from the cable box.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDACPA View Post
Your broadband provider probably offers options for upload and download speeds. Increasing the download speed would help too.

I have a N router and connect to my ATV2 via wifi with a 35 down 20 up from Verizon's Fios service. Absolutely seemless. You do not know its coming off the internet vs from the cable box.
Streaming from a Mac to your Apple TV wouldn't be affected at all by your internet speed, that's completely determined by your LAN speed.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
PDACPA

PDACPA is on a distinguished road

My bad. I thought he meant streaming from Netflix and You Tube.
QUOTE Thanks
Binarybloke

Okay, looks like the wife will be getting an airport extreme router for xmas instead of perfume.

Thanks again for the help chaps
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Streaming video from iphone 4 to Apple Tv2 | iPlayer to Apple TV, how or when? »