New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple TV Discussion of Apple TV, the new revolution in watching television.

Streaming video from iphone 4 to Apple Tv2

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tdll1313

tdll1313 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27 inch iMac i5 2.66 quad core processor. iPhone 4 32 gig, ATV2. MPB 17' quadcore

So I was under the impression that ios 4.2 would allow me to stream videos shot on my iphone 4 to my tv via Apple Tv....so far as I can tell this is not the case, only pictures can be streamed "in terrible quality by the way" using airplay. Am I missing something guys, or is this in fact the case? Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

You need to update the ATV 2 to v4.1 for it to work. I've been streaming video and YouTube from my phone all evening.

QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

And not all apps support streaming over AirPlay. Hulu does not and Netflix will only let you stream audio, not video.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
And not all apps support streaming over AirPlay. Hulu does not and Netflix will only let you stream audio, not video.
I'm hopeful the Hulu Plus app will support AirPlay, that will be the deciding factor in getting an ATV.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWhat View Post
I'm hopeful the Hulu Plus app will support AirPlay, that will be the deciding factor in getting an ATV.
Doubtful that it will given licensing restrictions. Same with Netflix.

But, Netflix is already on the ATV, and I've heard that Hulu Plus will be coming at some point.

QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
Doubtful that it will given licensing restrictions. Same with Netflix.

But, Netflix is already on the ATV, and I've heard that Hulu Plus will be coming at some point.
I've been trying to find any article hinting, if/when Hulu Plus is coming to ATV, only to find sites showing how to hack ATV to get Hulu Plus.

Do you remember what site mentioned this?
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWhat View Post
I've been trying to find any article hinting, if/when Hulu Plus is coming to ATV, only to find sites showing how to hack ATV to get Hulu Plus.

Do you remember what site mentioned this?
I asked Hulu on Twitter and they said they're working on it. But no timeframe yet. I would guess early next year.

QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

Oh sweet! I tried looking to Hulu's discussion board for hints, but it's a hot mess and hard to search. I guess, I'll be getting an ATV soon!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Can you get regular hulu on the new ATV?

I've been desperately trying to find a way to move my HTPC to another room and have a device that will stream what I want to the TV. Every device I find except for a computer, I have to give up something.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
tdll1313

tdll1313 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27 inch iMac i5 2.66 quad core processor. iPhone 4 32 gig, ATV2. MPB 17' quadcore

Yes I have the newest software for both the ATV2 and iphone but I would specifically like to know if you can stream video that you recorded on your iphone i.e., my family at disneyland. Not youtube or other media. Just my own video recordings. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdll1313 View Post
Yes I have the newest software for both the ATV2 and iphone but I would specifically like to know if you can stream video that you recorded on your iphone i.e., my family at disneyland. Not youtube or other media. Just my own video recordings. Thanks.
If it will play on your phones iPod it will play streamed to the ATV2.

It looks like video can't be streamed from Apps like VLC, at least not yet. I've tried Video in both .mv4 and other formats and while the audio streams, the video won't.

QUOTE Thanks
schweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Can you get regular hulu on the new ATV?

I've been desperately trying to find a way to move my HTPC to another room and have a device that will stream what I want to the TV. Every device I find except for a computer, I have to give up something.
No, Hulu is only allowing Hulu Plus on non-computer devices without hacking them.

QUOTE Thanks
mostro

mostro will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
If it will play on your phones iPod it will play streamed to the ATV2.
Unfortunately, not the case. For some insane reason, they have not included this killer app of what seems so obvious, streaming videos you captured from your iPhone to your ATV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdll1313 View Post
Nope, you can't. At least not yet. Crazy right?!?

Here's a thread on Apple's support forums about this: Apple - Support - Discussions - Record Video on iPhone - Stream to ...

I also saw an article recently on a blog detailing this omission but can't find it now. The quote from Jobs is telling, note that he mentions only viewing photos you take, not videos, on your ATV: "The update to iOS 4.2 brings to the iPad brings all the same features of iPhone," said Jobs, "including HDR photos."
QUOTE Thanks
PDACPA

PDACPA is on a distinguished road

You can use airplay to show pictures from your iphone to your tv (via the ATV2) instantly. Videos on your iphone will not work, yet. It is supposed to be coming. I think there is a 4.3 update in the future and my guess is thats when we will get it.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostro View Post
Unfortunately, not the case. For some insane reason, they have not included this killer app of what seems so obvious, streaming videos you captured from your iPhone to your ATV.
Yep, that is completely retarded.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple TV - 3rd Party Movie Downloads | best streaming option? »