New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple TV Discussion of Apple TV, the new revolution in watching television.

Apple TV capabilities

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

archos4

archos4 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.66 GHz C2D 4GB RAM Nvidia GeForce 9400 | iPhone 3GS | TV2

I was thinking of getting one now that they've been updated a bit. So I wonder if someone can explain the a couple of aspects to me?..

Is organisation of media automatic like Front Row or can be fiddled manually like on iTunes?
Is media transferred to the Apple TV's hard disk or is it streamed for the moment? If it's streamed is there any lag?
Can you play even films that you haven't bought on iTunes?
I understand you can access YouTube from the Apple TV. The only mentioned input device by Apple is the apple remote. Is this sufficiently refined do you think when searching for YouTube videos by name?
Can you choose different video quality when using YouTube as you can on their website? This might aid any streaming delays I imagine?

Thanks for any forthcoming help/advice

archos is our language's variant on the greek word "apxos", meaning master.
4's the most regular, perfect number in the world-except mathematically.

tanktrouble.com > Surface > Light Peak > X-48B > Flash
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

1) It organizes by Media Type (Movies, TV Shows etc) as well as playlist. Movies and TV Shows are broken down by Unwatched, Genre or All (All is aphabetical). TV Shows and music are the same.

2) The New ATV2 doesn't have an internal drive. It streams real time but I have noticed that it will load the media to the 8Gb flash memory while it is playing and then lay from there. I have encountered no lag but Apple reccomends an 802.11 G or N capable network for best performance. Performance is VASTLY improved over the original ATV.

3) Yes. If you rip it in a format that the ATV can handle, it will play. Keep in mind that iTunes can handle more formats than ATV can.

4) It's ok. It brings up an on-screen keyboard that you use the remote to move between letters. Somewhat cumbersome but it's usable.

5) I have no idea.

QUOTE Thanks
archos4

Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.66 GHz C2D 4GB RAM Nvidia GeForce 9400 | iPhone 3GS | TV2

Yes I heard the new apple TV has an internal flash drive. So that looks after itself automatically. Good to hear.

I guess having a 4 Mbps down and 0.6 Mbps upload speed will be fine. My router's wireless N capable as well.

Thanks very much: you've helped a lot. If anyone can answer my last question that'd help also
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Unfortunately NO

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
Unfortunately NO
Agreed. My daughter does watch YouTube via my ATV and she says there is no selection. I suspect this has to do with the fact that you are not viewing the same YouTube database as you do on your computer. It's the same one that they created for the iPhone (ATV is an iOS device after all) so it seems to be limited.

QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

YouTube videos that aren't encoded in h.264 will not be viewable on the ATV since it doesn't support Flash.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
4Hummer

4Hummer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by archos4 View Post
I understand you can access YouTube from the Apple TV. The only mentioned input device by Apple is the apple remote.

Apple Remote software (Free from the ITunes App Store) and an Ipod Touch, IPhone or Ipad gives you keyboard access when using YouTube on the Apple TV.

Plus full control over everything else.
QUOTE Thanks
archos4

That's good as I've got an iPhone thanks for clarifying the YouTube stuff people.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Streaming HD home movies from Macbook VERY slow | trying to purchase movie from apple tv »