New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple TV Discussion of Apple TV, the new revolution in watching television.

Apple TV Problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Schmange

Schmange is on a distinguished road

Just curious if I'm alone on this or if other people are having the same issues.
Keep in mind that I'm now on my second AppleTV and both of them have had the exact same problems.

Main issues:

1) Stops numerous times during rented movies. Every 5 minutes or so, it will freeze up and return back the main menu and you have to reauthorize the movie again.

2) Let's say you're watching Season 5, Show #11 of a typical TV show.
You pause it and go make a cup of tea. When you get back, the screen saver is running. You click the remote but instead of it restarting the show where you left off, you're back at the main menu again. Now you have to literally click through numerous menu levels to get back to the show you were on.

3) It seems to run out of RAM memory quite often, lock up and shut down.
The only way to get it going again is to physically unplug it and plug it back in again. However, this also causes you to lose place in any movie you were watching and start it from the beginning again.

4) The AppleTV Remote control is on the same frequency as other items in your house.
For instance, mine operates the menu functions on my Haier Air Conditioner. I pause a movie, the air conditioner shuts off. I use the menu, it adjusts the temperature control.

Peace & Grooviness!
Schmange
Mac Pro Core 8/3.0ghz/10GB/4TB/2X23"Screens
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Is this an ATV 2 or an original? Have not encountered any of these issues but 4 is rather humorous.

QUOTE Thanks
Schmange

ATV2. Got em maybe 3 weeks ago I guess.
yeah.. Kinda surprised me too. Kinda funny but I'm glad the colder weather's arrived.. it was getting to be a royal pain turning off the air conditioner every time I used the Apple Remote.

Peace & Grooviness!
Schmange
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Ok. I tried to reproduce #2 las night but mine just went back to the paused screen with the TV show. When I went back I simply it the PLAY button on the remote to get the screen back then hit it again to start playing. Have not encountered #1 or #3, but I only stream movies from my computer via my network, I don't rent or watch YouTube etc.

QUOTE Thanks
Schmange

It might be something that only happens after 5 to 10 minutes. Like I put mine on pause about 10 minutes ago and it's reverted back to the main screen again. However, sometimes I'll go back and it will be fine and just continue where it left off.
I'm thinking either there's a time limit that it'll hold something on pause, or it's the fact that I'm using my Mac to run other apps while iTunes is running.

Peace & Grooviness!
Schmange
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

What are the sleep settings on the ATV? If it goes to sleep it does go back to the main screen.

QUOTE Thanks
Schmange

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
What are the sleep settings on the ATV? If it goes to sleep it does go back to the main screen.
I got it set for 5 hours. Nah, this is more like a continual thing... all night long I'm constantly clicking through menus every time I put it on pause.

Peace & Grooviness!
Schmange
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmange View Post
I got it set for 5 hours. Nah, this is more like a continual thing... all night long I'm constantly clicking through menus every time I put it on pause.
Well, I was wrong anyhow. I paused a movie last night at 4 PM and started it again this morning at 10 AM. Once the ATV woke up it went right back to where i had been, with the movie in mid-stream and not back at the menu. Maybe it's time to take it back to Apple.

QUOTE Thanks
Schmange

Yeah, I guess so. I've been using it for most of the day today and it's gone back to the main menu about 99% of the time. Sometimes it suddenly pauses by itself and jumps back in the middle of a show.
Not been having much luck with Apple lately... just paid $800 for a new graphics card for my desktop. The iPad I bought 3 weeks ago had to be exchanged cause the screen went half black. Now I've got 3 Apple TV's that are all defective. Lot's of fun.

Peace & Grooviness!
Schmange
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

Could it be your network?

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Sounds like there's an issue with the flash RAM inside the ATV to me.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

I would think so, but 3 of them?

QUOTE Thanks
Schmange

Well wadya know.
Apple just did an update this afternoon and the main problems have pretty much gone away.
It actually stays put when I put it on pause now.
... the remote still keeps turning my air conditioner on but hey...

Peace & Grooviness!
Schmange
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

Time for a new Air Conditioner....

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« trying to purchase movie from apple tv | ATV audio output question »