New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple TV Discussion of Apple TV, the new revolution in watching television.

Atv2: "pinwheel of death" on turn on home sharing

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

craigwortham

craigwortham is on a distinguished road

Traveling. ATV2 worked before; now it doesn't. It apparently won't "home share" or at least is "stuck" trying to do so ("Pinwheel of death" for over 8 hours). I've done the easy T/S tips from the Apple website (correct iTunes version; turned iTunes home share off and back on; rebooted both; verified firewall was "off").
Additionally, here's what I've done:
1) Removed Symantec for Mac virus protection totally from the computer; it's gone. ATV2 worked before with Symantec; but, I'm desperate.
2) Manually configured ATV's IP (which was 10.10.4.97) to match the AirPort IP (which is 10.10.4.10). Now they're both 10.10.4.10 - even after a reboot.

The ONLY difference between when it worked and now: no Time Capsule; packed it up and shipped it home. This shouldn't make a difference.

Somebody mentioned Mac's "remembering" firewall settings and to remove these settings using "terminal" but I couldn't follow that and forgot where I read it.

Any help would be much obliged. Aloha, Craig
QUOTE Thanks
New MBP User

New MBP User will become famous soon enough

Not sure if I experienced the exact same problem as you but yesterday iTunes crashed every time I tried to turn on home sharing for my gf. It froze around 5 times and I had to force quit iTunes. In the end I just left it spinning for around 5 mins and it sorted itself out. I put it down to the fact it was trying to load around 11,000 songs which I have.

Hope this helps.
QUOTE Thanks
craigwortham

craigwortham is on a distinguished road

It's been spinning for two days...thanks anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Traveling? Staying in a hotel? My experience with ATV 2 is that it needs to connect to the web and to your iTunes acct before home sharing will work. Now, the box may be online but the ports required for it to connect MAY be blocked by your hotel. I recently had this issue and ended up retuning the ATV 2 and buying another when I got home. Even if the ATV 2 is online via your Mac or directly thru the hotel, if the port are blocked by the hotels service it's either going to fail or hang.

By Aloha, I assume you are in Hawaii. If you are staying in a Marriott property there they DO block the ports required by ATV, they all use the same provider in the islands. Nothing you can do. Go to the Apple help page for ATV 2 and look up the ports in question. You can call the hotels provider and ask them to open the ports but doing so may be a violation of their terms of service and they may just cut you off all together. Good Luck.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Sound not working for movies | itv and mobileme »