Stream problems with new apple tv
    Hi,

I just got myself a new apple tv and I'm not very happy with it.

Whenever I connect to my iTunes library and try to play a video, apple tv opens the stream line but won't allow me to play the video before everything is buffered. And it takes forever to do so.

Just to illustrate, right now I'm trying to stream a 43 minute episode. The buffer bar is divided into 20 chunks so let's say that each chunk corresponds to 2 minutes of video. After 40 minutes waiting I got 4 chunks. If I consider this speed it will take 160 minutes to load a 40 minute video. That is not acceptable.

Does anyone have this problem? Is there any network tweak that may make this work.

Don't know if this matters but my iTunes is on my lap top and I use airport for my wi-fi.

Specs:
    MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
    What kind of Airport do you use for WiFi? Is it "N" and are only "N" devices connected?

Having a mixed network will slow down your streaming substantially depending on what kind of devices you have connected to WiFi at any given time.

We'll need more information on what your entire network looks like to help diagnose the problem.
    schweb | community leader
    flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

Specs:
    27" i5 iMac w 8GBs, 32 GB iPod Touch, 2010 AppleTV, dead 120 GB iPod classic, 2x 2nd Gen iPod nano
    I had the exact same problem...I had an old router (802.11b). As soon as I upgraded to 802.11N it was awesome. I love my appleTV now.

here is the discussion about it.
    http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/app...-apple-tv.html

Also watch out for your mac to fall asleep...the appleTV doesn't wake it (or external drives). I had a thread about that too somewhere.

good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by schweb View Post
    What kind of Airport do you use for WiFi? Is it "N" and are only "N" devices connected?

Having a mixed network will slow down your streaming substantially depending on what kind of devices you have connected to WiFi at any given time.

We'll need more information on what your entire network looks like to help diagnose the problem.

Yes my Airport is N. The deviced I have connected (at the same time) are 2 mac books, ipad and iphones. Are they all N?

I'll try to update the airport since it's been a while since I done that.

Any other tips?

Now I have a new "problem": apple tv is unable to load my iTunes Library every now and then :/

Just in case I updated my airport firmware to 7.5.1 and now I can't access my itunes library.

My case is very similar to this one: Apple - Support - Discussions - Apple TV can see iTunes library but ...

Thread Information