New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple TV Discussion of Apple TV, the new revolution in watching television.

Streaming HD home movies from Macbook VERY slow

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

NewAppleMacGuy

NewAppleMacGuy is on a distinguished road

Now that I have my home sharing problem fixed, one issue remains. Home movies shot in hd that I have made into 720p files take forever to buffer and play. It can take as much as 15 minutes just for a movie to start playing. Weird thing is, I can fast forward a good bit through the movie, but it won't let me play it in real time. HD movies on youtube start playing almost immediately. I can tell you that one typical home movie is about 20 minutes and is a quicktime about 1.2 gigs in size. Even when there's enough of the white load bar showing that would typically allow a video like this to start playing, it won't. From iMovie I tried both exporting as a large file (instead of hd) and also choosing the encoded setting that makes it specifically for Apple tv use. Both didn't stream or buffer any better. Ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
Gozer

Gozer is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" i5 iMac w 8GBs, 32 GB iPod Touch, 2010 AppleTV, dead 120 GB iPod classic, 2x 2nd Gen iPod nano

You need to update your router. It worked great for me:

old router with new apple TV
QUOTE Thanks
NewAppleMacGuy

NewAppleMacGuy is on a distinguished road

I did. Still don't know what the answer is. Are there any router settings I need to be aware of?
QUOTE Thanks
vsanta

vsanta is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem but with any iTunes Library content.

My router is an airport. I tried updating it to 7.5.1 but it still is very slow.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

How old is that airport? Is it 802.11n?
QUOTE Thanks
4Hummer

4Hummer is on a distinguished road

No problems here, Network is running on a AirPort Extreme, And My iMac isn't exactly a power house: iMAC 20" with 2 gig PPC Processor. No issues streaming large moves, they play in seconds.

I think the biggest factor is the Speed of the Network, had issues when running my DLink Router. AirPort Extreme (however costly it my be) has solved all my issues
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New Apple TV plays on PowerPC? | Apple TV capabilities »