New England
    24" iMac Aluminum/2.8GHz/500GB/6MB/Lacie Quadra1TBTM,MBPro13 wSSD, AirportX, iPhone4G,ATV1
    Can you upgrade the HDD in a Gen1 ATV?
    Just wondered if it was possible. I have a 40G model, and I'd like to hardwire it from my viewing TV to my Airport or... to my switch since the airport/switch are almost directly under the big screen setup in the family room. The 40G drive wouldn't cut it for me so I wondered if its possible to pull it and throw in a really big drive... like 1TB? Maybe more, or would the controller inside prohibit that size drive?

I've also heard that you can also somehow connect an external USB big drive (say 2 TB?) to the ATV and disregard the internal drive working everything off the external drive? How do you set that up? I'm new to ATV, bought a jailbroken one and I'd like to get the most out of it.
    • Without Curiosity, Intelligence Is Nonexistent •
    Aging Grandpa drives a Supercharged Ford SVT Lightning

4.1 Mac Pro. 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. PM G5. iPhone 6S+ 64gb Gold. Apple Watch 42mm.
    YES. search for it. It's online EVERYWHERE! Almost everything you asked involves complicated(not too complicated, but complicated for the normal person) jailbreaking/hacking.
    “If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius

Kansas City
    The ATV1 uses a PATA drive, so 1tb is out of the question. The biggest drive that you will find to put in there is 320gb. It is also the 2.5" form factor drive.

Thread Information