New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple TV Discussion of Apple TV, the new revolution in watching television.

Jailbreaking AppleTV?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lolipop21

lolipop21 is on a distinguished road

I heard many things about jailbreaking the AppleTV. I just wanted to know, what new features would bring a jailbreak to an AppleTV? I'm not so informed on these things, so thanks for making this clear =)
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Basically the real thing ATV hacked will do is let you play ANY codec that is out there. Currently you can only plat the MPEG-4 Video File codec that runs thru iTunes ......

There might be other benefits but that is all i know of, and really the only one i really care about

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
eliehass

eliehass has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM

The ability to run apps on the apple tv would also be a plus. I would especially love it if they could port over xbmc and/or boxee.

shameless plug for my blog
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

There are MANY things you can do with the new jailbreaks on the ATV...don't know if we can talk about them though.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinorbarsaku View Post
There are MANY things you can do with the new jailbreaks on the ATV...don't know if we can talk about them though.
Talk away. We don't have any restrictions on JB discussion anymore.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold

Oh, cool! I didn't know. I have jailbroken mine a week ago, and have xbmc/boxee running on it. I can stream movies online, download torrents, watch hulu and others, and stream off my computer...and most importantly, it can now play any kind of media file as long as it's not 1080p, without having to convert anything! What I am describing is just one percent of the an icebergs tip! Best 70 bucks I have ever spent imo!

The hardest part was working around the beta for boxee...since the site isn't around anymore, and no new sites have updated their info yet.

though, my jailbreak is for the old atv, not the new one.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinorbarsaku View Post
though, my jailbreak is for the old atv, not the new one.
That actually makes a HUGE difference since the two boxes use completely different systems...

QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
That actually makes a HUGE difference since the two boxes use completely different systems...
I know. that's why I wrote it.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

I jailbroke my old ATV... but it was a pain. It was like having a 1 year old computer... er, probably because the specs are pretty much in line with a 10 year old computer. Anyway, the new ATV when jailbroken, should be able to run most apps from the App store, and many other things, meaning Hulu Plus should work on it and so should CineXPlayer and VLC. For me, that's the glaring omission right now... app store.

The problem is that content providers have conveniently tied up all content into different agreements, depending on what the streaming device is. E.g. streaming to a phone has one agreement, a computer another, a TV enabled device another still.

All of this is ludicrous of course, because you can plug a computer into almost any screen... and you also can with a Jailbroken iOS device.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« thinking of getting an itv and have some questions | Problem Connecting Library »