New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple TV Discussion of Apple TV, the new revolution in watching television.

Careful of sleeping iTunes libraries

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Gozer

Gozer is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" i5 iMac w 8GBs, 32 GB iPod Touch, 2010 AppleTV, dead 120 GB iPod classic, 2x 2nd Gen iPod nano

I have my iTunes library on my iMac kept on an external drive.

When my iMac falls asleep to save power, the AppleTV can't wake it up to access iTunes. It hangs on the 'Loading' screen or doesn't see the library. To fix it, I just have my iMac set to never go to sleep (only turn off display).

Then I realized that my external harddrives go sleep when not being used to save the drive and power. Again, AppleTV can't wake them up so it hangs for ever. I have to click on any media file in iTunes on the iMac to force the drive awake. Then the AppleTV sees it perfect. I could set my harddrives to never go to sleep but I think I'll just remember to click on something on the iMac before I want to watch something on the AppleTV.

I'm up an running great with my new awesome AppleTV but I just wanted to share what I found in case anyone else sees the same issue.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« old router with new apple TV | AppleTV streaming from OS X Server »