New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple TV Discussion of Apple TV, the new revolution in watching television.

New happy owner of an Apple TV:)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TomTomTuning

TomTomTuning is a jewel in the roughTomTomTuning is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone

The new AppleTV is not all about buying content from the Apple store.

I have a bunch of movies and videos that I can stream to the AppleTV.
Video Podcast is great viewing on the TV and If I'm on the go I can watch them on my iPad/iPhone.

The old AppleTV you had to sync the content over to the device, then watch it. The new one you just stream the content over. It's very fast, i notice no delay when streaming from my iMac or MacBook Pro over my network.

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Same thing as an iPod. You can store your iTunes library there and sync it with your PC.
I see...that makes sense if it's supposed to be another storage/syncing method device. I wasn't sure if the hard drive in the ATV was or could be used like a DVR.

Thanks,

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTomTuning View Post
The new AppleTV is not all about buying content from the Apple store.

I have a bunch of movies and videos that I can stream to the AppleTV.
Video Podcast is great viewing on the TV and If I'm on the go I can watch them on my iPad/iPhone.

The old AppleTV you had to sync the content over to the device, then watch it. The new one you just stream the content over. It's very fast, i notice no delay when streaming from my iMac or MacBook Pro over my network.
Yes...I read this part how the Apple TV can do this (and seems pretty neat!)...how it acts as a wireless device to stream content from a computer wirelessly...eliminating the need for a DVI to HDMI cable, and an audio cable to a television.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
TomTomTuning

TomTomTuning is a jewel in the roughTomTomTuning is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Yes...I read this part how the Apple TV can do this (and seems pretty neat!)...how it acts as a wireless device to stream content from a computer wirelessly...eliminating the need for a DVI to HDMI cable, and an audio cable to a television.

- Nick
Or a hard drive in the AppleTV. haha.

I tell you what, the new remote app for the iPad/iPhone is amazing as well.

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

So another question regarding Apple TV. Reading the formats that are "streamable"...the Apple TV is capable of streaming let's 720p HD content from say a computer...but it's not able to stream 1080p.

Is this a big deal or not?

For example...if you purchased the HD DVD version of the movie "Avatar"...and let's say you don't own a dedicated DVD player (just for example). Then played and streamed it from a Macbook or Macbook Pro to the Apple TV (which of course is plugged into your 65" flat panel TV).

Are you losing something (from a quality perspective) if the Apple TV cannot stream 1080p content. Or in this example...is the Avatar movie DVD in 720p format anyway...so no quality loss?

I did also notice that the Apple TV is capable of wireless "n"...so I assume it's best (when streaming HD video) to stream it from a computer that is also capable of wireless "n"...and I didn't even know if wireless "n" is even good enough/fast enough for streaming 1080p content.

Thanks for any replies,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTomTuning View Post
You don't have to sync them. You have access to your itunes/iphoto library right from the screen!

Quote:
how it acts as a wireless device to stream content from a computer wirelessly...eliminating the need for a DVI to HDMI cable, and an audio cable to a television.

- Nick
huhhh? You still need an hdmi cable/or audio cable to view/hear what's on it.
Both new and old have the same connections available on the back. The old has a bit more.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinorbarsaku View Post
Both new and old have the same connections available on the back. The old has a bit more.
It was my understanding that you can stream content from your computer to the Apple TV wirelessly...but of course you still need cables from the Apple TV to your television.

Is this not correct?

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*

Quote:
It was my understanding that you can stream content from your computer to the Apple TV wirelessly...but of course you still need cables from the Apple TV to your television.

Is this not correct?

- Nick
No its correct, but you didn't need them for either version. It was only in my case that I needed an hdmi-dvi cable because my projector doesn't have an hdmi input.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

You want access to: Hulu, Netflix, ABC, CBS, iTunes, Amazon Unbox, ability to watch your DVDs, HD-DVDs, B-Rs and watch any other content in whatever format you have stored locally from avi to video_ts to iso to mts, record live TV and all from a single box:

There is still no substitute for a full blown Windows based HTPC.

And we won't mention saving your purchased hard content to disk.

Edit: and of course, playing games.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
No its correct,
I think that you're using bad/confusing English here...you shouldn't say "No it's correct"...you should say, "Yes, it's correct". "No it's correct" is a contradictory statement.

Quote:
but you didn't need them for either version. It was only in my case that I needed an hdmi-dvi cable because my projector doesn't have an hdmi input.
I think that you're misunderstanding my question/statement. I understand that the Apple TV didn't/doesn't need cables for either version...but in your previous post:

Quote:

...you said it did need cables (but you didn't explain where it needed the cables)...and that's why I mentioned that I know that the ATV doesn't need cables from a persons computer to the ATV...but that the ATV DOES need cables from the ATV to the TV.

I think that it's early...and you need to drink some coffee before posting! Ha ha.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
There is still no substitute for a full blown Windows based HTPC.

And we won't mention saving your purchased hard content to disk.
I agree. If I felt confident with purchasing something like that, I wouldn't have thought twice, but almost everything comes with mixed reviews...besides the mac-mini...which is a bit much. For 70 bucks though, I don't have room to complain though I would like to have access to hulu and other online media.

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

For $70, think I'd have had to get it just to check it out. I'm even sorely tempted by the $99 apple tv, but think I can hold out until the google/logitech device hits the street later this year.

Between the software and hardware, probably have $1,000 invested in my HTPC (maybe a little more) and at some point we all have to make some compromises

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

"No its correct," is one correct response to, "Is this not correct?" There are others too.

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
For $70, think I'd have had to get it just to check it out. I'm even sorely tempted by the $99 apple tv, but think I can hold out until the google/logitech device hits the street later this year.
You mean WebTV 2.0? Not sure that will be much of a success it will be as its up against HTPCs that might cost a little more, but it's pretty much a rehash of the same concept, except running Android.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
You want access to: Hulu, Netflix, ABC, CBS, iTunes, Amazon Unbox, ability to watch your DVDs, HD-DVDs, B-Rs and watch any other content in whatever format you have stored locally from avi to video_ts to iso to mts, record live TV and all from a single box:
Bob,

Can you explain a little further? I'm confused about the DVD, HD-DVD, and B-R part. Are you saying this content is accessed thru the Apple TV via the internet...or is it coming from a persons computer from a disk in their optical drive (then thru the Apple TV to their television)?

Thanks,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My Apple TV (1st Gen) deleted my TV show | Stream problems with new apple tv »