New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple TV Discussion of Apple TV, the new revolution in watching television.

Apple TV or some other solution

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lucyinfear

lucyinfear is on a distinguished road

Hi

I have seen a few similar post but I though I post one myself.

I have a Imac, which is placed in the work room. I have a TV which is placed in the livingroom. I dowload movies on my computer and I would like to watch them on my TV.

It does not have to be wireless but I need a device that I transfer my movies to and it should play various of formats (avi, wmv, mpg etc). I also want to store all movies on the device. What I understand, Apple TV doesnt have any storage space? I have seen LaCie have a multimedia device but it is very expensive.

MANY THANX
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

If you need those other formats, then the new ATV is not the right solution for you.

What might work, and you'll be surprised by this suggestion, is something like an Xbox 360. You can pick one up for $200 brand new and they can play almost any format (although you won't be able to play your iTunes purchases on it because of the DRM). It also has Netflix and Hulu Plus is coming soon... it can stream directly from a Mac, no problem.

Otherwise a low priced compact PC would do the trick, or if you absolutely must have an Apple product, a Mac Mini.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
Otherwise a low priced compact PC would do the trick, or if you absolutely must have an Apple product, a Mac Mini.
Care to share an example of a good one that's available, for close to the price of the ATV? I'm in the same boat...

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinorbarsaku View Post
Care to share an example of a good one that's available, for close to the price of the ATV? I'm in the same boat...
I didn't intend to suggest you could get something for $99. Probably somewhere between $200 and the price of a Mac Mini.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

Have you considered possible a MiniDisplayPort to HDMI adapter, then a long (depending on the distance trough walls between iMac and TV) HDMI cable?

I use my MBP in "clamshell" mode to watch movies, and the rare YouTube videos on 60" TV. Works great for me.

With VLC you can watch pretty much any format.
QUOTE Thanks
lucyinfear

lucyinfear is on a distinguished road

Thank you for all replies.

The idea I had was to download all movies on my Imac, and then transfer them either wireless or via cable to a "device" which I connect to my TV. If possible, I would like the device to display the movies on my TV without having to run back to my computer. Cables across the flat is a NO-GO for me.

If I get an Xbox360. How do I get the movies on to its harddrive? How large is its harddrive?
QUOTE Thanks
Doctor_Tattoo

Doctor_Tattoo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13.3" Macbook Pro 2.26, 4GB Ram, 160GB HD, WD 2TB, 24" ACD. iPad 64GB 3G. iPhone 4 32GB Unlocked.

Amazon.com: Western Digital WDAVN00BN WD TV HD Media Player: Electronics

This might work for you, but it requires an external hard drive to go with it.

Shawn
QUOTE Thanks
daFunkMaster

daFunkMaster is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD

I have the Western Digital solution, don't have the wireless enabled one, just the normal one. Hooked up to my HD TV in the bedroom and have to 1TB hard drives hanging off it via USB ... all the media I want, with pretty good playback capabilities.

Put it this way, I haven't found a media type that it won't play yet.
QUOTE Thanks
gonzobill

gonzobill is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro (2010) 2.66 12 Core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 12 GB Ram, MBP i7 2.66 2010, 8GB Ram

You can use a Playstation 3 and use PS3 media server software on the computer and it wirelessly streams to the TV
QUOTE Thanks
cyberioten

cyberioten is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro i7 2,4 Ghz + MacBook Pro 2,6 Ghz 15" - iMac 27" i5 2,7 Ghz - Cinema Display 24" - ATV 16

I have made a solution with Automator and Handbrake where I convert all other formats to .h264 and .mp4 and sync them to my appletv. It works lige a charm.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« AppleTV streaming from OS X Server | Syncing artwork between iTunes 10 and Apple TV (2nd Generation) »