New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple TV Discussion of Apple TV, the new revolution in watching television.

question about the new apple tv

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

zrossiter

zrossiter is on a distinguished road

I am between the new apple tv and the boxee box. I have netflix, and use it a fair amount, but my biggest use for a media player will be streaming videos I have downloaded online (yes mostly torrents), of which are avi files.

since apple tv has no usb, my setup would be an external hd attached to an airport extreme. Would the apple tv be able to read them off of the network? Would it be able to read avi files ( i have read it only will play mpeg4 files, in which case converting some many files would be a hassle)

thanks to any and all advice
QUOTE Thanks
ricknyc23

ricknyc23 is on a distinguished road

this is a great question, i was wondering the same thing my self. I have the Time Capsule, so i was wondering if i can do that from there.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Nope, AppleTV can only handle files that use the format supported by iTunes (i.e. MP4; h.264)

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
Nope, AppleTV can only handle files that use the format supported by iTunes (i.e. MP4; h.264)
And that will be the deal breaker for me… when I hook an Apple product up to my Home Theater, it's going to have to be a Mac Mini for me… long live VLC!!

ps.. Hi Kash!
QUOTE Thanks
Ghostshadow

Ghostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook G3 - You'll be missed.

It will when you throw perian on it - I am mostly confident it'll happen.

QUOTE Thanks
zrossiter

zrossiter is on a distinguished road

yea its definitely a deal breaker for me. I want to be able to play any files i can play on my computer, on my tv. I have no doubt that it will be jailbroken and whatnot, but I dont understand why apple cant just give us multiple file playback. I would buy it, no problem, if it could do that simple task......perhaps one day
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Same here, I have a 4TB video collection, I'm not about to convert all of them to h.264 just for an AppleTV. I'm getting myself a Dell Zino HD once it's updated to the faster specs that were announced last month and run XBMC.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Clafournaise

Clafournaise is on a distinguished road

Back to the original question, the Apple TV 2 cannot stream directly from NAS or a drive plugged into an airport extreme. You have to get your content loaded into iTunes which means no AVI support. To my knowledge there is no solution to displaying AVI on ATV2 without converting to mp4.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Streaming video | new Apple TV streaming from NAS? »