New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple TV Discussion of Apple TV, the new revolution in watching television.

New Apple TV vs. 160 GB Model

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

EdmOilers

EdmOilers is on a distinguished road

hey so if you didn't know this apple is selling the older 160gb model apple tv at a clearance price on their website. does anybody know if the new apple tv will be any better or worse than the older model? i know the new model will not have a hard drive, so is it a better idea to buy the older version?
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*

I actually would like to know the same thing. What difference will there be besides the ways you can control it with your i-devices? Don't you have access to the same media?

If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment. Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

From what I can tell it will be similar, just without the ability to keep content on the non-existent HDD. Hopefully streaming will be a bit better....

That being said, everything is more or less conjecture until the box s released.

QUOTE Thanks
Ghostshadow

Ghostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook G3 - You'll be missed.

It's hard to say. The old Apple Tv will no longer be updated. So the latest software that's on it now is what will always be on it. You will still be able to download and purchase content but I don't know about renting and what not. Netflix will be a no-go. Overall I think the new one will still be worth it. No actual media to store data on is kind of a loss, but I am willing to take that loss. Especially since most of the time the media has been streaming over the network through external hard drive.

I will bet the new Apple TV will be unlocked ad we'll get external HD support again. Maybe not right away, but I think it'll probably be soon after it's initial release. I could be wrong though. Nobody knows how much different the software is on the new Apple TV VS. the old model.

The new Apple TV model does seems more than likely to be running an iOS variant, just not the iOS we're used to. So it'll be interesting to see if XBMC and or Boxee are ported over.

I am extremely excited for the new Apple TV though. It's been pre-ordered and just waiting to be shipped!

QUOTE Thanks
smudgeyjoe

smudgeyjoe is on a distinguished road

In theory, the new Apple TV will be able to wirelessly stream many different mediums directly from your device, thru Apple TV, and on to your television set. This is in addition to the iTunes mediums you can get on the old Apple TV. As an iOS device, there is the potential future ability to send apps\games to your TV and play them on your device. These possibilities don't exist on the old Apple TV. I would only consider the Old if you have storage issues on your primary computing source. If it were me, I would buy the new Apple TV and a cheap external HD for a similar price to the discounted old Apple TV, giving me storage and potential.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I'd wait until Logitech has their google TV device out prior to purchasing any device similar to this.

(edit: and the upcoming boxee box mentioned by XJ below)

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.1

Patiently waiting myself. I've been a big ATV fan since it's release and plan to hit the Applestore when they start showing up to see what it's like. I'd like to think there would be a possibility for XBMC or boxee on it. However, with the release of the boxee "box" I just don't see Avner & Marcel having much time to develop an iOS variant for a competing device.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*

I've been trying to look for something as a media device for our home theater room, but I just keep on running into dead end, or get overwhelmed by so much useless info about them. Here is pretty much all that I want to do:
1. Stream movies from netflix/other service(good movies, not lame old stuff)
2. view itunes library and play everything streaming.
3. have access to other media files/formats.

My projector has a DVI input(and everything else minus hdmi) I know that apple sells a dvi-hdmi that works both ways, but there is about 35-40 feet from the home theater center and the projector on the ceiling. The question I cant seem to find an answer to is should I run the whole 35-40ft with dvi and than use the hdmi adapter, or would I plug the adapter right into the projector and run the 35-40ft with hdmi? The other thing I could do is mount the ATV right on top, or underneath(depending on how you look at it) and just route the audio connections to the theater center. If I am correct, isn't it a better route to just connect the atv right next to the projector and route the audio, instead of possibly having video issues with long video cables? dang it...I wanted to use the optical out for audio....see what I'm frustrated with now!?!? arghh

I think it seems that the ATV seems to do pretty much all I want it to do, but I do remember there being mini-pc's for $179 not too long ago...

And one more thing, about the ATV, do you need to have a computer there to stream stuff? Like in times when I'm away or something, will it need my mbp to stream off of, or is based on cloud?

If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment. Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute

Off of an actual computer, not a cloud.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
Off of an actual computer, not a cloud.
that's why I still like the 160gb model...

QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

It was almost impossible to watch high-quality streaming content on the old ATV, like Netflix (which is on the new device). I imagine Hulu will be available before too long (at least Hulu Plus) and again that's never going to be supported on the old machine.

I know Boxee and others were ported to the old ATV via a hack, but the results were truly miserable. The original ATV is basically an 8 year old computer and performed like one on anything outside of playing iTunes content.

Go for the new machine or buy a Mac Mini.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

I'd agree the original ATV hardware is pretty low-tech. For me at least, everything (Hulu included) seems to run just fine. Are you using a recent boxee version? When I first was running boxee Alpha it was pretty useless. The Betas have worked much better on my ATV. I can't testify to Netflix, as I watch it via my Mini connected to the television. Though I'd never pay for video content rentals, some folks seem to like the idea. However, it's looking like NBC and FOX are less than 100% on supporting the new ATV...

Apple TV Ships Soon, Probably With Omissions - PCWorld

It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out anyway.

QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

I dumped my ATV late last year and got a Mac Mini. Boxee was a crash-fest (it still is) and their support is non-existent. I know it's free and open-source, but that's really not the point. The worst thing about Boxee is that you simply cannot access your iTunes videos via its interface, even though it insists on indexing it and displaying it. I had to explain to my wife dozens of times she had to go to Front-Row to watch anything we got on iTunes, but she just got frustrated so I uninstalled Boxee.

From your user name, I assume you're a fan of OS... I was too, for a decade or more, but what the OS community never grasped (and still don't) is that no one cares about /mount/xmbc-sdu.cm.wif_jfe/fefhlwj_whatever, they care about click and play. They've learned absolutely nothing from iOS or even something as awful as Windows Media Center.

XMBC is just as bad - there's 200 ways of doing everything, none of them actually work.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
Ecgeow

Ecgeow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinorbarsaku View Post
I've been trying to look for something as a media device for our home theater room, but I just keep on running into dead end, or get overwhelmed by so much useless info about them. Here is pretty much all that I want to do:
1. Stream movies from netflix/other service(good movies, not lame old stuff)
2. view itunes library and play everything streaming.
3. have access to other media files/formats.

My projector has a DVI input(and everything else minus hdmi) I know that apple sells a dvi-hdmi that works both ways, but there is about 35-40 feet from the home theater center and the projector on the ceiling. The question I cant seem to find an answer to is should I run the whole 35-40ft with dvi and than use the hdmi adapter, or would I plug the adapter right into the projector and run the 35-40ft with hdmi? The other thing I could do is mount the ATV right on top, or underneath(depending on how you look at it) and just route the audio connections to the theater center. If I am correct, isn't it a better route to just connect the atv right next to the projector and route the audio, instead of possibly having video issues with long video cables? dang it...I wanted to use the optical out for audio....see what I'm frustrated with now!?!? arghh

I think it seems that the ATV seems to do pretty much all I want it to do, but I do remember there being mini-pc's for $179 not too long ago...

And one more thing, about the ATV, do you need to have a computer there to stream stuff? Like in times when I'm away or something, will it need my mbp to stream off of, or is based on cloud?
yeah, I have a nettop from acer. Only one problem I can see with it. When I sit down to watch something, I don't want windows 7 staring me in the face. I don't want to have to press start, type YouTube - Broadcast Yourself., focus on the search bar, type what I want, find the result I want, then click on it. I want simple, easy, clean, minimal effort viewing, but I like it anyway. Since I'll have both the new apple tv and the nettop, I'll see which one I end up using more.

Oh, also streaming from another computer is a hassle.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
From your user name, I assume you're a fan of OS... I was too, for a decade or more, but what the OS community never grasped (and still don't) is that no one cares about /mount/xmbc-sdu.cm.wif_jfe/fefhlwj_whatever, they care about click and play. They've learned absolutely nothing from iOS or even something as awful as Windows Media Center.
Thanks for the learning moment. I'll be sure to pass it along to the slow OS people.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How much data is an HD movie? | Streaming video »