New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple TV Discussion of Apple TV, the new revolution in watching television.

Syncing is Unsyncsational

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

smudgeyjoe

smudgeyjoe is on a distinguished road

i just tried to sync my first movie from my desktop iMac to my Apple TV. I am probably going to have to shave again before it is finished syncing. I did a Google search and found that many people had a terrible time with syncing speed. I see discussions of 802.11n vs 802.11g and that there may be a compatibility issue between one and the other, but I don't know how to ascertain what my Linksys router is or how to fix it if it is not the same as Apple TV. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Do you know what the model number is for your Linksys router? If not, then do you know how to get into your router's configuration page? This is where you enter 192.168.1.1 into a browser. You might be able to find out whether the router is 802.11g or 802.11n, and if not, you should at least be able to find out your router's model.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Th ATV will do either G or N depending on what your network can do. Yes it tends to be slow, and the bigger your library the longer it will take.

QUOTE Thanks
smudgeyjoe

My router is a Linksys WRT54G, which as the name suggests, is a 802.11g. Is there any tweaking I can possibly do via firmware\software, or do I just need to bite the bullet and get a faster router? It's been 3 hours and it still hasn't synced my one 1.65gb movie!
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Unfortunately, short of hard wiring the AppleTV to your router, there's really no other way to squeeze more speed out of that router. If you want faster network performance (i.e. file transfers), then you're going to have to shell out for a faster router.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
smudgeyjoe

Thanks, Kash. I am probably going to get an Airport Xtreme later today.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Does Apple TV store media on hard drive? | Apple TV Troubleshooting help! »