New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Apple confirms neutral stance on iPhone hacking

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kaidomac

kaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nice
Mac Specs: G4 Cube

via Engadget

Quote:
It's really an ethical dilemma for the ages. On one hand, you love your shiny new Apple toy so much, you just have to hack in new functionality, on the other hand you can't bear to think that the mighty Steve Jobs thinks ill of you and your hacker ways. Well now you can finally put those fears to rest, because Apple's Greg Joswiak has officially confirmed a "neutral" stance on the iPhone hacking issue. That is to say, Apple doesn't plan to maliciously attempt to break native, third-party applications in forthcoming firmware updates, but at the same time Apple won't go out of its way to ensure those updates don't break third-party applications accidentally, and certainly isn't offering support to the hackers of any kind. We'd say it's a step above "frenemy," but not quite to the point where Steve'll be demoing Jailbreak at his next keynote.

Mac Sites - down for reconstruction
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Unfortunately, they kind of went back on that comment today to say updates will "most likely" break 3rd party apps. They really get a kick out of messing with their customers lately.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
jaline

jaline is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook, 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM

Yeah, I heard they may be ruining those hacked iPhones.

If you have a hacked one, wait a while until you update the phone after an update comes out - just to make sure.
QUOTE Thanks
WokSz

WokSz is on a distinguished road

I agree. Why can't Apple just make a statement and stick to it?
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Wait, if making changes to the software happens to break the hack, then so be it. Unless they are specifically making those changes just to break the hack, they are still neutral. Anytime you hack a piece of software there is always a chance that a scheduled update will disable or break the hack. I don't think Apple is being disingenuous here at all. In fact, the comment about software updates potentially breaking the hack are a nice clarification from them so all those with hacked phones don't just flip out and scream about it.

QUOTE Thanks
knightlie

knightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really nice
Mac Specs: Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
Unfortunately, they kind of went back on that comment today to say updates will "most likely" break 3rd party apps. They really get a kick out of messing with their customers lately.
I think that's a considerable reach, and that last statement is baseless. Just because updates will "most likely" break hacks doesn't mean Apple will do so deliberately.

They just don't seem to be able to please anyone lately.

[URL="http://beadia.net"]Beadia[/URL - Jewelry Business Management Software]
I judge you when you use poor grammar.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightlie View Post
I think that's a considerable reach, and that last statement is baseless. Just because updates will "most likely" break hacks doesn't mean Apple will do so deliberately.

They just don't seem to be able to please anyone lately.
Yeah, my comment wasn't intended to mean that it is at all deliberate. I just meant that it seemed Apple was giving people with hacked 3rd party apps a ray of hope, then kind of smashed by saying, "oh, even though we aren't going after you, chances are our updates will kill you apps anyway".

It just seemed kind of odd at the time to release those 2 statements so close together. I guess the second statement was because the first produced a reaction they weren't anticipating.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
knightlie

knightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really nice
Mac Specs: Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen

I don't know why they just don't release an SDK - they must have one for their own apps. Or a Java-style VM like SuperWaba.

[URL="http://beadia.net"]Beadia[/URL - Jewelry Business Management Software]
I judge you when you use poor grammar.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

I think eventually they will need to and let some legit apps be made. They claim stability issues is what's keeping them, but I've heard a couple tall tales from from "The Jobs" just in the past year which turned out to be incorrect or a means of stalling for time (iTunes on the iPhone). Maybe they just want first crack at making some apps to get maximum profit.

QUOTE Thanks
DonkeyKong

DonkeyKong is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro: 15.4" Glossy, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz, 2GB Ram, 160GB HDD, Nvidia 8600GT 256MB

Kinda odd they aren't allowing people make their own programs i rkn it would bring in more publicity for them. Apple could even set up a web site for people to sell their programs and for doing so Apple can get profit from it as well.
QUOTE Thanks
kaidomac

kaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
I think eventually they will need to and let some legit apps be made. They claim stability issues is what's keeping them, but I've heard a couple tall tales from from "The Jobs" just in the past year which turned out to be incorrect or a means of stalling for time (iTunes on the iPhone). Maybe they just want first crack at making some apps to get maximum profit.
Well there are business conflicts there. Let's say they open up the platform, then Skype makes a client for the iPhone. Gee, free phone calls with unlimited data - what does AT&T do now? While I don't agree with locking the platform, I do see why they're doing what they're doing.

QUOTE Thanks
AndrewAZ

AndrewAZ is on a distinguished road

Just to give you guys a report.. I bought an iphone and hacked it.. the second day the title sensor did not work anymore. I took it to the apple store and told them it was hacked and I am 100% positive its a hardware issue with the phone since I have done 5 unlocks for people and the current iphone I have is unlocked and works fine.. Anyways for "being honest" they swapped my iphone out for a new one without charging me a restocking fee. They could of basically said since you dont have ATT your screwed you can return it and pay a restocking fee and buy a new one.
QUOTE Thanks
homer_j

homer_j will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7011772.stm

Just the road and my MBP.. wohoo.. No wireless networks - DOH! Oh well, wheres my ipod! :headphone
QUOTE Thanks
kaidomac

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer_j View Post
I see your post and raise you 1!

http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/25/a...ocked-iphones/

Haha, this is the biggest case of flip-flopping I've ever seen

QUOTE Thanks
Dimitri

Dimitri is a jewel in the roughDimitri is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaidomac View Post
Haha, this is the biggest case of flip-flopping I've ever seen
Heh, you pay any attention to politics?
I wouldn't really call it flip-flopping. It's not like they originally said "Hey you got nothing to worry about, phone hackers!" They instead made an ambiguous and "safe" statement that they could elaborate on later once they knew more.

My guess is it wasn't until more recently they discovered their update may break iphones and so they're making warnings now. Hence, anyone who's unlocked their phone better avoid this update until the guinea pigs have tried things out first.

Portable DAP: iPod nano 4G 8GB (green)
Headphones: Sennheiser HD485, Sennheiser PX-100W
Computer: Aluminum iMac 24" 2.8GHz
Mobile: iPhone 3G 16GB (black)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New NBC shows are in iTunes Store | Apple Expo 2007 Paris France »