New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

The Case for the Powerbook G4

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

forza

As some of you may be aware, the small country of Portugal is under siege by over a million football (soccer) fans right now. The atmosphere is incredible and the international crowds are truly amazing ... as the MasterCard commercial tells it, a "United Europe...Priceless."

Anyway, I was down near the pitch behind the camera/TV crews in the Holland v. Germany match; the pictures are updated on some of the sporting websites pretty frequently, but how is this done from camerman at the match to the user thousands of miles away trying to follow the match?

Powerbooks. The cameraman had his G4 setup right next to him, using Bluetooth I presume to wirelessly transfer the images as he took them to his notebook. Unfortunately, with the exception of this sweet outdoor internet café (free) I'm in right now, Portugal doesn't have many wireless networks.

So, when the match finally ends, the cameraman grabbed his equipment, his Powerbook was still open and flopping around as he ran towards the gate so he could get up to a wired connection to transfer the pictures.

Interestingly, I think the reason he didn't close his notebook while he was running was because of the sleep 'feature'; he had to allow the camera to continue transferring the images. I'm a recent 'switcher', maybe someone can enlighten me and this chap as to how you can turn off the sleep function when the screen touches down to the keyboard (i.e. closed laptop, functioning hard drive).

Cheers, Forza Italia e Apple!
Mark
QUOTE Thanks
Graeme43

Graeme43 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: I love student discount (sig)

get a program called sleepless... its not recommended for ibooks though, but you have powerbook

iBook G3 (2001) 500MHz 384 RAM 9.2.2 / 10.2.8
Titanium PowerBook G4 (2001) 500MHz 768 RAM 9.2.2/10.2.8
Mac Pro (2007) 4x2.66GHz, 6GB RAM, 10.6.7
iPad 3G + iPhone 4
QUOTE Thanks
Strider

Strider is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs

Will that not harm the screen though? I'm pretty sure the cooling in beneath the speaker grill. The air flows out when the processor hits 100%. So will this not harm the screen?
QUOTE Thanks
Graeme43

Graeme43 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: I love student discount (sig)

I read Apple Powerbooks are officially supported lid closed operation so it should do it without any extra appss (is there an option in energysaver?)

iBook G3 (2001) 500MHz 384 RAM 9.2.2 / 10.2.8
Titanium PowerBook G4 (2001) 500MHz 768 RAM 9.2.2/10.2.8
Mac Pro (2007) 4x2.66GHz, 6GB RAM, 10.6.7
iPad 3G + iPhone 4
QUOTE Thanks
Strider

Strider is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs

Nope, nothing in OSX allows u to use the powerbook normally with lid closed (unless u use an external monitor)
QUOTE Thanks
PowerbookG417

never tried the sleepless program..however there is one other way no one mentioned..its a lil intense..but there is a magnet under the right hand speaker grill..well on the 17's that can be disconnected or a switch put it on turn off that sleep feature entirely, other than that..i have also heard of certain metals..for get the name now that you can get that are only mm's thin and will block magnetic signals which would work aswell
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« powerbook question | ITMS in canada »