New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

New 'better-than-g' technology.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

forza

Am I wrong to assume that the wireless speeds are limited, anyway, by the Internet connection (e.g. cable modem or DSL). At home, I get about 400K/sec on my cable modem, and if I understand the 54 Mbps number correctly, I can get this on my wireless connection as well.

So then, at least for home users, anything faster than 'g' is not directly useful unless the broadband bandwidth increases.
QUOTE Thanks
pcjabber

Correct.

EDIT: However, for file transfers across network (File/Printer Sharing), it does help....
QUOTE Thanks
Osiris22x

Osiris22x will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)

Yes. 400k/sec is roughly 3.2 mbps, drastically lower than your Wifi's 54 mbps.

Mbps means "megabits per second", and there are 8 bits in a byte. So take your 400 kilobytes per second, multiply it by 8, and you get 3,200 kilobits per second, or 3.2 mbps.

As pcjabber said, however, 802.11g WiFi will drastically increase your file transfer speeds over your network.
QUOTE Thanks
Amen-Moses

Location: The home of the free and the land that did for Braveheart.
Amen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really nice
Mac Specs: 24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs

Also if you have a home network then 54mbs wifi will mean that your internet connection will not be afected by whatever else you are doing on it, i.e I regularly share iTunes around the house and streaming video plus the kids are playing Unreal or whatever over the network and my internet connection is always fast.

Amen-Moses
QUOTE Thanks
MacAddikt

MacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: G52x1.81.53208x+/-

same way 10/100 and 10/100/1000 (gigabit) ethernet is only utilized over LANs

QUOTE Thanks
Mr.Curlynose1

Yeah, we have a wired network, so ours goes at 100 mbps. It's quite awesome.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Well 54 Mb/s is what you're supposed to get, in actual fact you get something like 20Mb/s, more like 10 though in real life circumstances...

Just like your dsl connection says 768Kbps but actually only gets around 100Kbps in downloads..

But faster IS better in most situations yes

I know our university for example isn't going to upgrade beyond 54G networks in the foreseeable future as even "normal" wireless lan is fast enough for surfing...
QUOTE Thanks
kevrodg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
Just like your dsl connection says 768Kbps but actually only gets around 100Kbps in downloads..
To be accurate, if the browser is reporting 100 KB/s that is equivalent to 819 kbps.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/1061
QUOTE Thanks
Osiris22x

Osiris22x will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)

Yeah I was gonna say, Aptmunich's math is a little off. Realistically, a 768k DSL connection should only have around 100k overhead, so 668 / 8 = 83.5k per second.

Roger Michaels
Apple Certified Consultant
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iTunes Music Store comes to London on June 15th! | Something immoral at the iTunes music store? »