New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

ZFS To Become Default File System In Leopard

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kaidomac

kaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nice
Mac Specs: G4 Cube

Article

Not sure if this should go in this forum or in the OS X Operating System forum, but here it is! This one feature alone is enough to make me upgrade to 10.5. I can't tell you how excited I am by this! ZFS has virtually unlimited capacity support (16 exabytes per storage pool, file system, file, or file attribute) and many awesome features in terms of RAID, storage management, etc. My only question is what Apple will do with their desktops - ZFS is best implemented in a multi-drive environment. There are rumors that the Mac Mini and 17" iMac are going to be killed off, so maybe a Mac Pro "Lite" tower or dual-drive iMac?

Quote:
Perhaps overcome with excitement (and forgetting that Apple doesn't like such pre-emptive disclosures), Sun's Jonathan Schwartz announced today at Sun event in Washington D.C. that Apple would be making ZFS "the file system" in Mac OS 10.5 Leopard (video link, requires RealPlayer).

In fact, this week you'll see that Apple is announcing at their Worldwide Developer Conference that ZFS has become the file system in Mac OS 10.

Rumors of Apple's interest in ZFS began in April 2006, when an OpenSolaris mailing list revealed that Apple had contacted Sun regarding porting ZFS to OS 10. The file system later began making appearances in Leopard builds.

ZFS has a long list of improvements over Apple's current file system, Journaled HFS+. More information on ZFS is available at the ZFS homepage and Wikipedia.

Mac Sites - down for reconstruction
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

ZFS can be used with external back up drives as well, so I don't think Apple is going to drop their most popular desktop machine, the 17" iMac.

It's probably good for Time Machine, and Time Machine is only worth it if you have an ext. HD.

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
amardilo

amardilo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD

ZFS sounds good. Does anyone know if it will be possible to wipe your current OS X 10.4 install with it's current HFS+ file system and install the new OS X 10.5 with ZFS?

I know that this is in the future but does anyone have an opinion by going by past experiences with Apple and their File System upgrades?
QUOTE Thanks
kaidomac

kaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by amardilo View Post
ZFS sounds good. Does anyone know if it will be possible to wipe your current OS X 10.4 install with it's current HFS+ file system and install the new OS X 10.5 with ZFS?

I know that this is in the future but does anyone have an opinion by going by past experiences with Apple and their File System upgrades?
As far as I know, installing a new file system requires a complete wipe - you would need to backup all of your files and programs before installing 10.5. Assuming ZFS is the new default, we'll learn more at WWDC next week

QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

No updating requires a wipe, not even installing OS X on a computer that can run it and that is running only OS 9.

I'd be surprised if this changes for 10.5.
QUOTE Thanks
kaidomac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Study View Post
No updating requires a wipe, not even installing OS X on a computer that can run it and that is running only OS 9.

I'd be surprised if this changes for 10.5.
I was only referring to installing a new file system. I would assume that going from HFS+ to ZFS is like going from FAT32 to NTFS...requires you to reformat your hard drive and then install your operating system again.

QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all

This no-Mac-mentioned story on Sun's site says that:
Quote:
Sun continues to support the UFS file system.
If Apple switches, it might support HFS, too.

Please, God, no more emulators.

Edit: By support, I mean ZFS by itself, not Sun or Apple support.
QUOTE Thanks
acash0902

acash0902 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook | Black | 2.16gHz | 2gb ram | 160 HDD

i tried to read up on this filing system and was dumbfounded. i have no idea what the benefits are to it.
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Quote:
Originally Posted by acash0902 View Post
i have no idea what the benefits are to it.
I don't understand much of it, either. But it's fun to think about.

The last time a company pre-empted a Jobs announcement it was Adobe, wasn't it? And soon after, Jobs anounced Aperture.

Then IDG Books moved its computer exposition to Boston from New York, or the other way around. Jobs pulled out, if I remember correctly, and banned IDG's books from the Apple website.

So if Sun's CEO ignored history for the sake of making a splash announcement, maybe Jobs is rewriting his speech to announce that Apple bought Sun just to fire him.

This story says:
Quote:
ZFS is afilesystem developed by Sun that is 128-bit, meaning it offers 16 billion billion times the capacity of 32- or 64-bit systems -- virtually unlimited by today's standards. ZFS also offers increased performance because it is transactional object model rather than more traditional I/O mechanisms.

Another purported benefit of ZFS is the elimination of various administration and maintenance routines required by other filesystems. For instance, the fsck command never has to be run, even if the system is shut down in an unclean fashion -- the creators claim that ZFS has never lost data integrity or leaked a single block after thousands of forced violent crashes.
The story from a link in a previous post makes it sound like ZFS is the JavaScript of OSes. It doesn't care whether a system is little endian or big endian.

Maybe ZFS could have eliminated the app mess brought on by the switch to Intel. For that matter, maybe it could have eliminated the mess when Apple switched to OS X. But more to the point, ZFS might allow Windows apps to run natively on Leopard.

On the other hand, if every app has to be rewritten yet again, there'd be blood on the streets of Cupertino. There might be, anyway, if ZFS means all those rewrites are moot.
QUOTE Thanks
jakeroberts

jakeroberts will become famous soon enough

I don't remember where exactly but I saw a demo on the web about ZFS and the features and usability look pretty slick from a geeky standpoint. It was all done in CLI and most of the neat stuff that it showed would be useful for admins and uber geeks with huge home networks. On the other hand it looks very easy to use which would fit nicely with Apple.
QUOTE Thanks
jakeroberts

jakeroberts will become famous soon enough

Hello, here is a nice little demo straight from sun.

http://www.opensolaris.org/os/commun.../demos/basics/
QUOTE Thanks
amardilo

amardilo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaidomac View Post
As far as I know, installing a new file system requires a complete wipe - you would need to backup all of your files and programs before installing 10.5. Assuming ZFS is the new default, we'll learn more at WWDC next week
Thanks for the info. I have no problem doing a wipe as long as it's easy. I just don't want it to be as difficult as it was for me to switch from FAT32 to NTFS (that one took ages and wasted a good part of a day and several attempts to format the drive and to get my file sizes correct).
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaidomac View Post
I was only referring to installing a new file system. I would assume that going from HFS+ to ZFS is like going from FAT32 to NTFS...requires you to reformat your hard drive and then install your operating system again.
Going from FAT32 to NTFS doesn't require a wipe (the command is 'convert c: /ntfs'). Going from NTFS to FAT32 can also be done, but you'll need a third party program like Partition Magic.

Likewise, I can't see why Apple couldn't just write a conversion utility.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
kaidomac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Going from FAT32 to NTFS doesn't require a wipe (the command is 'convert c: /ntfs'). Going from NTFS to FAT32 can also be done, but you'll need a third party program like Partition Magic.

Likewise, I can't see why Apple couldn't just write a conversion utility.
Interesting, I was under the impression that it always required a re-format to get there. Good to know, thanks!

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Update: Apple says "No" to ZFS in Leopard...

http://www.macdailynews.com/index.ph..._os_x_leopard/

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« IBook G4 | iPhone Service Plans announced »