New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Apple launches iTunes Plus

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacHeadCase

Apple Launches iTunes Plus:

Quote:
Higher Quality DRM-Free Tracks Now Available on the iTunes Store Worldwide

Apple® today launched iTunes® Plus—DRM-free music tracks featuring high quality 256 kbps AAC encoding for audio quality virtually indistinguishable from the original recordings—for just $1.29 per song. iTunes Plus is launching with EMI’s digital catalog of outstanding recordings, including singles and albums from Coldplay, The Rolling Stones, Norah Jones, Frank Sinatra, Joss Stone, Pink Floyd, John Coltrane and more than a dozen of Paul McCartney’s classic albums available on iTunes for the first time.

iTunes will continue to offer its entire catalog, currently over five million songs, in the same versions as today—128 kbps AAC encoding with DRM—at the same price of 99 cents per song, alongside the higher quality iTunes Plus versions when available. In addition, iTunes customers can now easily upgrade their library of previously purchased EMI content to iTunes Plus tracks for just 30 cents a song and $3.00 for most albums. ...
And was also launched iTunes U:

Quote:
Apple® today announced the launch of iTunes® U, a dedicated area within the iTunes Store (www.itunes.com) featuring free content such as course lectures, language lessons, lab demonstrations, sports highlights and campus tours provided by top US colleges and universities including Stanford University, UC Berkeley, Duke University and MIT.

“iTunes U makes it easy for anyone to access amazing educational material from many of the country’s most respected colleges and universities,” said Eddy Cue, Apple’s vice president of iTunes. “Education is a lifelong pursuit and we’re pleased to give everyone the ability to download lectures, speeches and other academic content for free.” ...
The change has now begun.

Edited to add:

Forgot to add that you will need iTunes 7.2 for Mac to get the benefits of iTunes Plus.
QUOTE Thanks
MikeYMS

MikeYMS has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac mini w/ 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM

oooh I smell blog entry material! (Funny, I was just talking about posting a note about this here like 3 minutes ago...darn you MHC...always beating me to stuff! )
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Next one is yours, Mike!
QUOTE Thanks
MikeYMS

yea yea...my sonic screwdriver is cooler than your headset!
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Well I just spent 22€ on iTunes Plus songs... there was no way I was going to buy instrumental stuff (Penguin Cafe Orchestra) at 128K...
QUOTE Thanks
Sames

Sames is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook - 120gb HD, 2.0ghz, 1gb Ram.

Very very interesting.

Nice move from apple. Im interesting to see how this Itunes U works out.
QUOTE Thanks
MartinS

MartinS is a jewel in the roughMartinS is a jewel in the rough

How much of an improvement in sound would you see comparing 128kbps to 256kbps?

www.martinsketchley.co.uk

2011 21.5-inch i5 iMac
Mid-2009 13-inch MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
Brendan

Brendan is a jewel in the roughBrendan is a jewel in the rough

iTunes Plus, and iTunes U! Sounds neat!

I'm not a sound guru by any means, and I definitely have bad ears, and can't hear distortion, but my brother is a quality nut; he will probably love this!

Brendan Welsh
Aluminum Macbook Owner
QUOTE Thanks
MikeYMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinS View Post
After listening here at the office, there is a distinct difference. It's like peeling back a couple layers of a muting film across the sound. Things are definitely clearer...but then I have good ears for music. I'm sure it'll sound totally different on stereo systems optimized for music.
QUOTE Thanks
MartinS

MartinS is a jewel in the roughMartinS is a jewel in the rough

I've just given the samples in the iTunes Store a try. There's quite a striking improvement in clarity.

www.martinsketchley.co.uk

2011 21.5-inch i5 iMac
Mid-2009 13-inch MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinS View Post
It is a fair difference... but the 128K stuff wasn't that bad either.

I find you notice it particularly when listening to drum kits (the cymbals sometimes sound a bit distorted) or vocals (again, occasional distortion on female vocalists).
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Yep I had a listen last night to some of the new tracks and sound came out more separated then the previous versions on my Altec Lansing speakers.

Apt, you are right in saying the previous versions aren't too bad though. Just that this latest iTunes Music Store offering sounds roomier, more 3D like.
QUOTE Thanks
Kilted1

Kilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video

The difference in quality of sound on my iPod can be heard. I purchased an album by Corinne Bailey Rae, the clarity is really noticeable
QUOTE Thanks
lonerider

lonerider will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iBook G4 1.2 1.25Gig RAM Emac 1.42Ghz 1GB RAM

Don't know if anyone else has noticed, but the iTunes store seems a lot faster now too. Pages load quicker and downloads are much faster.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Actually the album I bought (containing around 25 songs) wouldn't download at all for the first 2 days.

I think the store was seriously overloaded, so they must have added quite a bit of bandwidth and servers to deal with the additional load.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« student discount % | iPod 6G »