New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

My bold apple predictions

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Sachsr1

Sachsr1 has a spectacular aura about

I just wanted to throw out a few apple predictions for the rest of the year, just for the fun of it. We'll see how I do

Macbook Pros:
New specs and LED screens at WWDC

iMacs:
August with led TOUCHSCREENS

iPods:
In late Sept. early Oct. video iPod goes up to 100g and has a widescreen touchscreen. Nano's go up to 16gig, 8gig, and 4gig (possible limited video support). Shuffles go up to 2 gig, but 1gig sticks around too.

Macbooks:
Switch to LED's, minor speed bump in the fall in time for X-mas

My wild shot in the dark
Tablet Mac:
WWDC
QUOTE Thanks
flilow06

flilow06 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!

I'll have to strongly disagree on the iMac and the tablet.
I definitely agree with the MBP, probably the Macbook as well.
QUOTE Thanks
Nicholi

Nicholi is on a distinguished road

What i'm looking forward to hearing is whether the next MacBook Pro hardware revision will include the move away from the now AMD owned ATI GPU's, and to the new nVidia 8000m series.

It would make some logistical since, Apple is in cohorts with Intel, and nVidia is already in the iMac's.
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

I think Apple will be happy enough to just release OS X 10.5 and iPhone on time. I doubt they workign on anything else that's market-ready right now....

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
Nicholi

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi View Post
I think Apple will be happy enough to just release OS X 10.5 and iPhone on time. I doubt they workign on anything else that's market-ready right now....
It would be a push to do so, but if they did it could kick the "Buy a Mac" train into high gear. Back to school is just a few short months away, and the holidays just a few months after that. If Apple could roll out a major laptop hardware revision before then, they could continue to eat into the recently upgraded PC crowd, not to mention turn and make some profit off of single sale Leopard in October (Thank God OS X is cheaper than Vista ).

Plus be ready to say "Hey, like your shiny iPhone? You can get the same genius on your computer" to everyone going hogwild on that dream device in June.
QUOTE Thanks
MikeYMS

MikeYMS has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac mini w/ 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM

There's a difference between marketing what you have and putting together a new product, Nicholi. If they continue their very good marketing on the products they have coming out already this year, and on their current products, they'll be doing just as well as always.

But Yogi is right...they'll likely not have anything too tricky coming out this year aside from the iPhone and Leopard.
QUOTE Thanks
laimonas.s

laimonas.s is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.16ghz, 2GB RAM, 160gb HDD

LED screens? would anyone like to expand on that?

Macbook Pro | Canon 400d | 70-200mm F4L | 50mm f1.8 | 18-55mm

My Gallery
QUOTE Thanks
Nicholi

As much as I believe in Apple's marketing machine (cause its good...), I don't think it can be the only driving force. Apple has a history of putting solid hardware into all there machines, it would be a shame to see them fall from that.

I was upset enough over the Leopard delay over iPhone, that was a hook, line and sinker for me purchasing my first Mac in June, but i've been forced to have second thoughts.

The main goal at Apple is still to drive people away from other companies, specifically Microsoft as they are the biggest threat. Vista doesn't need much competition to drive people away from it, but the hardware revision would be the most sensible approach as want-to-be switchers are forced to buy new hardware to escape the Windows world.

Atop of that, when was the last MacBook Pro update? The move to Intel chips? I'm not quite sure, can someone inform me?

EDIT to Laimonas.s :: LED Backlit screens, using LED lights to backlight the screens. Allowing brighter, more power efficient screens. The backlight on the screen is one of the biggest battery hogs in laptops.
QUOTE Thanks
kaidomac

kaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nice
Mac Specs: G4 Cube

I'm really hoping they'll release an ultra-portable. The MacBook is nice (had one last year), but it's still too big and heavy to really carry everywhere with me. I'm not a big fan of tablets, either. If there isn't an ultra-portable, then I will look into the Santa Rosa MBP upgrades. Here's hoping!

Mac Sites - down for reconstruction
QUOTE Thanks
kaidomac

kaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachsr1 View Post
I just wanted to throw out a few apple predictions for the rest of the year, just for the fun of it. We'll see how I do

Macbook Pros:
New specs and LED screens at WWDC

iMacs:
August with led TOUCHSCREENS

I don't understand why everyone is saying touchscreens. I can see it on the iPod, but not on the iMac or Apple Cinema Displays. What exactly would you use a touchscreen for on something that isn't portable? Your arms would get super tired after a short time of manipulating touchscreen controls on a large display like the iMac has. I could possibly see them teaming with Wacom to integrate pen input into their screens, but the Cintiq line of monitors that Wacom currently sells are hideously expensive (try $2500 for a 21" LCD vs. $300 for a non-pen-input screen from Dell). Aside from that, what else would you use it for? You need fingers to type words to surf the Internet; using a keyboard is a zillion times faster than banging your fingers against a flat, zero-tactile screen. Plus you'd have to have the screen down near your arms instead of at eye level. And it would get dirty. I can see it being nifty for showing off or maybe organizing photos, but maybe I'm just missing the point. Anyone care to expand upon possible day-to-day uses of a touchscreen iMac?

btw, I'll venture a guess that the Cinema Displays will get a built-in camera like the iMacs and MacBook/Pro laptops.

QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

my bold apple prediction! itoilet! touchbowl/no cleaning needed!

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks
knightlie

knightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really nice
Mac Specs: Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen

There won't be any touchscreen iMacs. A touchscreen iMac would be as practical as a table made of bread. Everything kaidomac says is true, it would be next to useless and horrendously expensive.

[URL="http://beadia.net"]Beadia[/URL - Jewelry Business Management Software]
I judge you when you use poor grammar.
QUOTE Thanks
MikeYMS

MikeYMS has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac mini w/ 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM

MMMM...breadtable...
QUOTE Thanks
kaidomac

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoDorSean View Post
my bold apple prediction! itoilet! touchbowl/no cleaning needed!
I'd totally buy that, too...

QUOTE Thanks
andrebnu

andrebnu will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB

I do not believe that the LED screens will come out this year. And it makes it reasonable to expect a full hardware upgrade for the MBP for next year. processors..memory capacity...LED screens...and so on. I do not believe they would upgrade MBP's processor yet this year, and such things like screen next year.

For the touchscreen iMacs...that's nonsense for me. completely agree with kaidomac.

just my 2 cents...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Switch from tower? | safari for windows..thoughts? »