New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Connecting to a Win2K3 fileserver

Thread Closed

MacsWork

MacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really nice
Mac Specs: Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junglist
Hi Rudi,

I am also having problems connecting our macs here at work to the windows servers. I would love to have some help in resolving this issue. Please help.
Anyone ever try smbclient from the terminal?

smbclient //servername/sharename -U username

you may need to add the machine in the netinfo database in order to resolve a .local domain server name. Or use the evar hard to find DotLocalConfigurator Startup item. Smbclient is a little clumsey but it's free and it works. Most admins refuse to turn off smb signing.
ez4sho

Greetings,

I have had a lot of problems accessing shares with a MAC powerbook that our graphic artist uses. It would be nice if he could have access to our shares without reducing security as most people have said would be the case. What is the best way to contact you? Your help is greatly appreciated, thanks!!

================================================== ========
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudi
I have connected my Apple Mac G4 Powerbook to Windows Server 2003, It is not connected through samba, you dont need to reduce your password to 6 alpha or numerics.

Anyone wanting to connect to Server 2003 contact me, its too complicated to write on here, it conects just like you would on a PC, i can access all my users files as a administrator and copy them to my Mac, you dont connect via smb or the with the usual box, when I connect i get a Box with the microsoft logo and enter my usual name and password and bingo I am in.

I will help anyone with theis problem as I found Apple support totally un helpful in this area as I also did microsoft.

It really dose work!!!!! i have also synced Microsoft Entourage to my server as well no probs

You need to download from the Microsoft website UAM Enabiler and install it on your Mac

Rudi Dobson

ez4sho

Very interested in the software and how much it costs. Also, how does it work?

:yinyang:

Quote:
:cool:

If anyone is having problems conntcting their Mac to server 2003 there now is a simple solution you can now by software from me that we allow you to do all the things with your mac on a pc server you would exspect. its easy and simple to use so if you want to obtain the software then contact me

Rudi Dobson
MacsWork

MacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really nice
Mac Specs: Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3

You need to download from the Microsoft website UAM Enabiler and install it on your Mac

Rudi Dobson

FYI UAM does not work over L2TP VPN to W2K3. Or at least our VPN. Perhaps if our VPN answered IPSEC it might work,...dunnoh. I've yet to try UAM on our LAN since I am rarely in the office. NTLMv2 in Tiger should have been a no brainer.
jimena_loyola

I have this problem: when I try to connect my mac G5 MAC OSX to windows server 2003 via AFP (afp://ip addres) I have the error code -35 (Volume not found). I don't have any problem with SMB, but the software Indesign -CS2 , need to work with this type of share disk.

Please any help!!
oliverj

Hi Rudi,

You mentioned some software that can be purchased from you. Can you help me?

I have a customer that is using a Powerbook G4 10.4.3 Tiger and I have been trying for weeks to connect him to a Windows 2003 SBS network. The domain is a .local (I hear this is bad) and I get the usual errors when trying to connect to file shares and a username/password error when trying to connect to ecxchange through MS Entourage. I have installed MS UAM as mentioned in the forum but have not yet seen the MS branded login window appear when I connect to the server. My customer is now able to connect to file shares on the server as I have taken SBM off the server temporarily and he is using OWA to access his email.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

#################################################

If anyone is having problems conntcting their Mac to server 2003 there now is a simple solution you can now by software from me that we allow you to do all the things with your mac on a pc server you would exspect. its easy and simple to use so if you want to obtain the software then contact me

Rudi Dobson
McGyver

The other solution is as follows, where you can keep the SMB signing as it is by default on the Windows 2003 Server.

a) I set the authenticfication on W2K Server to: "Apple clear text and Microsoft"
b) Download the MS UAM Installer for Mac OX 10.1 or higher for Windows 2000 Server.
c) Install this on your Mac (iMac 20" in our case), but do not update the Apple Share
folder. ( I made this mistake the first time!)

d) Reboot ( I did)
e) Connect with the Windows 2003 Standard Server (As Admin it works, then correct the user settings as required for the users).

Thatīs it.

OS X: Mac OX (Tiger with all updates)

The problem was on Mac OX, where I had the trouble.
My problem was replacing the "Apple Share" folder from Tiger with the "Appleshare 3.8" folder supplied from the W2K3 Server "MS-UAM ..:" directory.

Recovered the backupīd Apple Share folder from Tiger.
Re-Ran the MS-UAM Installer, then the job was done.
rarity

Hi Rudi,

It seems that you are the Windows 2003 Server Expert. So, here's my question. I've tried several times to connect my Powerbook G4 to my Office Windows 2003 Network trying to use the same user name and Password as my Windows Desktop computer is set up for the Network. But, when ever I've tried to connect to the Network Volume it would just simply not connect but would also not give any Error messages. After having installed DAVE, it connetcs my Powerbook without any complaints. I'm using OS X 10.4.5. Any, idea how to connect to Windows Server without DAVE since I really don't want to spend this kind of money. There's got to be an other simpler way instead of installing expensive 3rd party software, right?

Quote:
:cool:

Rudi Dobson
EarlsMac

EarlsMac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro/MacBook Pro

Hi Rudi:

I have a MacBook Pro that I am trying to connect to my Windows Server 2003. So far it does not work and I would like to buy your software.

Earl
dafajar

Hi every one, I'm running Mac Os 10,4.2 on an ibook g4, i'm trying to connect my ibook to a windows network, right now i can log on on all the windows clients that are sharing their hard disks. When i trying to connect to the server (to see all the volumes i had on it), after i log on, all that i can see on the volumes space is a "Microsoft UAM Volume", i can not acces either see the volumes....if anyone has solve this issue please help thank you. every help will be very important.

David
johss

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafajar
Hi every one, I'm running Mac Os 10,4.2 on an ibook g4, i'm trying to connect my ibook to a windows network, right now i can log on on all the windows clients that are sharing their hard disks. When i trying to connect to the server (to see all the volumes i had on it), after i log on, all that i can see on the volumes space is a "Microsoft UAM Volume", i can not acces either see the volumes....if anyone has solve this issue please help thank you. every help will be very important.

David

I was having the problems with resolving .local names on the only mac on our network. Did some heavy research and found this script to run http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107800
after running it all the problems went away, print sharing, filesharing, exchange... all started to work great. Just my 2cents

Josh
okgsds

well, I can connect just fine.. but copying files is SUPER slow.. I mean 30 minutes OS X vs. 6 minutes when copying on XP Pro side of MBP. I copied same file to my XP Pro machine.. and it copied to OS X just fine.. Real Problem here.. guess I could go back to my roots and install Linux =-)
dafajar

How can i contact Rudi Robson???
GryphonsClaw

I have the same error as bart. Only thing I can add is the Mac OSX 10.3 can connect to some of our server shares, 2K and 2K3. I set the mac user as an Admin on the server, I can't get to work (Windows 2K) and it let's me connect. I'm not going to make the MAC user an Admin so what am I missing. I made domain users have full rights to the folders in NTFS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartolomoio
Hello everyone... I'm new here so I hope I sit in the right thread.

Our company just bought one of his first mac's. A Powerbook G4 OS X 10.3.6. Great machine.... But I have a little troubles connecting to our Win 2003 Server.
I managed it to bind it to the active directory. So for so good, when i go to network in the finder i see all my servers and PC's in the local domain but cannot connect to it.
When I try to connect it says: "The alias 'servername' could not be opened, because the original item cannot be found"
When i try it trough "connect to server" it says "could not connect to the server because name or password is not correct"

I've tried to install MS UAM but still the same result. I tried to set "Digitaly sign communications (always) to disabled" Nothing worked....

Somebody got a good answer for this? O, almost forgot: we don't use an .local domain.

Thank you guys very much for the stil to come help....

Bart
arunbpt7

Dear all..

anybody can help me...

i am nt able to connect my mac machine to windows 2003 domain...
any one can give me any solution
arun

Thread Closed

« my dad told me.... | apple inc???!?!?!? »