New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Apple confirms LED displays in Macs during 2007

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kaidomac

kaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nice
Mac Specs: G4 Cube

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/05/02/apple...s-during-2007/

Can I be the first to say...w00t!

Quote:

Arsenic and mercury are industry standard materials used in liquid crystal displays (LCDs). Arsenic is added during the manufacturing of the high performance glass used in LCDs to prevent the formation of defects, and the fluorescent lamps used to illuminate LCDs contain minute amounts of mercury. Apple is on track to introduce our first displays using arsenic-free glass in 2007. A small number of high performance integrated circuits (ICs) will continue to contain a minute amount of arsenic as an element of the semiconductor substrate.

To eliminate mercury in our displays, we need to transition from fluorescent lamps to light-emitting diodes (LEDs) to illuminate the displays. Fortunately, all iPod displays already use LEDs for illumination, and therefore contain no mercury. We plan to introduce our first Macs with LED backlight technology in 2007. Our ability to completely eliminate fluorescent lamps in all of our displays depends on how fast the LCD industry can transition to LED backlighting for larger displays.

Apple plans to completely eliminate the use of arsenic in all of its displays by the end of 2008.

Apple plans to reduce and eventually eliminate the use of mercury by transitioning to LED backlighting for all displays when technically and economically feasible.

Mac Sites - down for reconstruction
QUOTE Thanks
Mattlike

Mattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really nice
Mac Specs: Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac

Sweet!
QUOTE Thanks
Sandwichman

Sandwichman will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 17" Intel Core Duo, 2 GB RAM + 20" ACD

Perhaps new cinema displays... (hope!)

Or iMacs.
Or MacBook Pros.
Or MacBooks.
Etc.

Sitting, waiting, wishing...
QUOTE Thanks
ambivalent

ambivalent is just really niceambivalent is just really niceambivalent is just really niceambivalent is just really nice
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro - iPhone

yeah i read this article, sounds good.

But, are LED displays superior? In what ways?

She figured out that the only way to keep from being frozen was to stay in motion,
and long ago converted most of her flesh into liquid.
Now when she smells danger, she spills herself all over, like gasoline, and lights it.
QUOTE Thanks
narf1899

narf1899 is a jewel in the roughnarf1899 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450

can somebody explain the difference between LCD and LED? i know what they stand for...but will impact will the swtich on the look, feel, and functionality of apple's products?

iMac Aluminum 20" 2.4 ghz 2gb RAM 300gb HD
iMac 20" Core2duo 2gb 250gb
Macbook White Core2duo 2gb 80gb
Powermac G4 dual 450
QUOTE Thanks
flilow06

flilow06 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by narf1899 View Post
can somebody explain the difference between LCD and LED? i know what they stand for...but will impact will the swtich on the look, feel, and functionality of apple's products?
They will still be LCD displays, but with LED backlights. The current LCD's use a form of fluorescent lighting. Best thing about LED's is more than double the lifespan of these fluorescent lights. They're also capable of much higher contrast ratio's, brighter colors, deeper blacks, whiter whites... all around a better quality and more reliable improvement over the current displays.
QUOTE Thanks
narf1899

narf1899 is a jewel in the roughnarf1899 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by flilow06 View Post
They will still be LCD displays, but with LED backlights. The current LCD's use a form of fluorescent lighting. Best thing about LED's is more than double the lifespan of these fluorescent lights. They're also capable of much higher contrast ratio's, brighter colors, deeper blacks, whiter whites... all around a better quality and more reliable improvement over the current displays.
ok thanks...so i guess thats a good thing...is it likely for apple to raise/lower their prices because of this?

iMac Aluminum 20" 2.4 ghz 2gb RAM 300gb HD
iMac 20" Core2duo 2gb 250gb
Macbook White Core2duo 2gb 80gb
Powermac G4 dual 450
QUOTE Thanks
flilow06

flilow06 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!

Quote:
ok thanks...so i guess thats a good thing...is it likely for apple to raise/lower their prices because of this?
It is definitely a much more expensive technology. It's pretty common in a lot of smaller tech devices. Like it says in the article the Ipod... but also the PSP, I think a few PDA's. Also, if you look into high-end flashlights almost all of them use Cree and XRE brand LED's (yes, flashlights can be another expensive hobby). These flashlights also have considerably longer run times with much less battery consumption. Problem is it's still not that mainstream in larger applications like TV's and computer monitors. I only know of a few higher end pc laptops that use LED's (Sony's T series for example).
QUOTE Thanks
ambivalent

ambivalent is just really niceambivalent is just really niceambivalent is just really niceambivalent is just really nice

Quote:
very nice! sounds fabulous.
thanks

She figured out that the only way to keep from being frozen was to stay in motion,
Now when she smells danger, she spills herself all over, like gasoline, and lights it.
QUOTE Thanks
amardilo

amardilo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD

Anyone think this will be released on WWDC?
QUOTE Thanks
gilesjuk

gilesjuk has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.

Quote:
LED backlights will hopefully be more consistent, also cooler.
QUOTE Thanks
cjay

cjay is a jewel in the roughcjay is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
It is definitely a much more expensive technology. It's pretty common in a lot of smaller tech devices. Like it says in the article the Ipod... but also the PSP, I think a few PDA's. Also, if you look into high-end flashlights almost all of them use Cree and XRE brand LED's (yes, flashlights can be another expensive hobby). These flashlights also have considerably longer run times with much less battery consumption. Problem is it's still not that mainstream in larger applications like TV's and computer monitors. I only know of a few higher end pc laptops that use LED's (Sony's T series for example).
Does this mean lower likelihood of dead pixels? Or is that not connected?
QUOTE Thanks
ambivalent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjay View Post
mmm don't quote me on this, but I think the screen's are still LCD they are just lit differently... In my head a dead pixel isn't a lighting issue. but what do i know? im just making an educated guess.

QUOTE Thanks
gilesjuk

gilesjuk has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjay View Post
Nope, the pixels are on the etched glass which the backlight shines through.
QUOTE Thanks
jerseyjim

jerseyjim is an unknown at this point

so i wonder when?????
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« A greener Apple. | 12" macbook pro !?? »