New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

MacBook Pro - 12" macbook pro !??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

misterb

misterb is on a distinguished road

HI There I am a real fan of the macbook pro but before I buy one I would like to know has any one heard if they are going to release a 12 version !?
As I personal feel that the 15 and 17 are great ,but are not very practical for me to transport
Can any one help thanks :confused:
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

Welcome to the Forums!

As with all rumors, no one knows if the 12" Mac Book Pro will materialize or not. It's all based on speculation as no one other than Steve Jobs himself knows for sure.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
Ninjab3ar

Ninjab3ar has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterb View Post
HI There I am a real fan of the macbook pro but before I buy one I would like to know has any one heard if they are going to release a 12 version !?
As I personal feel that the 15 and 17 are great ,but are not very practical for me to transport
Can any one help thanks :confused:
I HIGHLY DOUBT IT. If it were to exist, It's specs would be just too similar to the MacBooks. Therefore, the MacBook Pro 12" wouldnt sell that well, sinse its sales will be ursurped by the Macbooks. I know there is a market for a 12" MacBook Pros, but it just doesnt stand a chance agains the market for MacBooks. Making a 12" MacBook Pro would be a bad investment on Apple's part.
QUOTE Thanks
rjharary

rjharary is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: kooBcaM 13"

I would buy one yesterday! But I do agree, theyve made the macbooks too powerfull to squeeze something in at the 12" level and be able to sell it. Guess I'll wait and wait till my powerbook 12" is dead!

Use the Rep System!
QUOTE Thanks
vandal31593

vandal31593 is on a distinguished road

@Ninjab3ar

I think you are absolutely right. Apple would lose TONS of money.

iMac C2D
Macbook Pro CDuo
iPhone 3G 8GB
twitter.com/hadimirza
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjab3ar View Post
I HIGHLY DOUBT IT. If it were to exist, It's specs would be just too similar to the MacBooks. Therefore, the MacBook Pro 12" wouldnt sell that well, sinse its sales will be ursurped by the Macbooks. I know there is a market for a 12" MacBook Pros, but it just doesnt stand a chance agains the market for MacBooks. Making a 12" MacBook Pro would be a bad investment on Apple's part.
Most major computer manufacturers have a professional-level ultra-portable notebook, and Apple was no exception with the 12" Powerbook. I'd be surprised if Apple didn't come out with an Intel variation sooner or later. There are many things that differentiate a "Pro" model from the standard MacBook, including an ExpressCard slot, discrete video card, lighted keyboard and FW800 port. I'm sure it would command a premium price, but I'd be first in line. Ultra-portables are absolutely indispensable if you travel with it daily (as I do). Fortunately, the MBP 15" is lightweight enough that it's not awful, but a 12" model would fit a whole lot easier on a tray table in Coach.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandal31593 View Post
@Ninjab3ar

I think you are absolutely right. Apple would lose TONS of money.
Why? Apple sold plenty of 12" Powerbooks.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Ninjab3ar

Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Why? Apple sold plenty of 12" Powerbooks.
Yes, thats true, but the specs of the 12" ibook and 12" powerbook varied significantly.

The specs of the MacBooks and 15" Macbook Pros are too close for apple to make a smaller, more stripped down Macbook Pro. What you'll be left with is a pointlessly more expensive MacBook.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjab3ar View Post
Yes, thats true, but the specs of the 12" ibook and 12" powerbook varied significantly.

The specs of the MacBooks and 15" Macbook Pros are to close for apple to make a smaller, more stripped down Macbook Pro. What you'll be left with is a pointlessly more expensive MacBook.
It wouldn't have to be stripped down just because of the size. Look at the Dell XPS 1210 for an example. If I hadn't switched to Macs, I'd likely be using one of those right now.

QUOTE Thanks
Ninjab3ar

I think you would. The smaller size bring heat issues. for example, with less space for ventilation, they would need a processor with a lower clock speed and most likely integrated graphics (due to their small form factor the EXISTING MacBook Pros actually have an UNDER-CLOCKED video card in order to reduce heat)....hmm starting to sound familiar, eh?
QUOTE Thanks
PixelP 2.o

PixelP 2.o is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Most major computer manufacturers have a professional-level ultra-portable notebook, and Apple was no exception with the 12" Powerbook. I'd be surprised if Apple didn't come out with an Intel variation sooner or later. There are many things that differentiate a "Pro" model from the standard MacBook, including an ExpressCard slot, discrete video card, lighted keyboard and FW800 port. I'm sure it would command a premium price, but I'd be first in line. Ultra-portables are absolutely indispensable if you travel with it daily (as I do). Fortunately, the MBP 15" is lightweight enough that it's not awful, but a 12" model would fit a whole lot easier on a tray table in Coach.
Rather than looking at as a smaller Macbook Pro, why not forget about some of the extras like the lighted keyboard, ExpressCard slot, etc. and simply offer a regular Macbook with the same discrete video card (or one respectably similar) as the pro, at a higher price point? It's not much of a stretch considering the different options for macbooks available now (such as the different optical drives for the 1.83ghz and 2.0ghz models).

The better graphics capability is the most important feature for someone who wants to work in 3D/play certain games, etc.
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

do you think there would be a market for a 12"? the 13" is already to small in my opinion.

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelP 2.o View Post
Rather than looking at as a smaller Macbook Pro, why not forget about some of the extras like the lighted keyboard, ExpressCard slot, etc. and simply offer a regular Macbook with the same discrete video card (or one respectably similar) as the pro, at a higher price point? It's not much of a stretch considering the different options for macbooks available now (such as the different optical drives for the 1.83ghz and 2.0ghz models).
I might have considered a standard MacBook had that been the case, although the ExpressCard slot is very appealing - if for no other reason than having some expansion options.

Either way, I think all of this debate goes to show that Apple has some packaging problems with the current line-up. Let's hope that when they start to rehash the models (apparently sometime in 2008 to include LED backlights), they try to further differentiate the model lines.

I'm sure a lot of the Apple faithful will faint at the suggestion, but I really think Apple should have a look at how Dell differentiates the XPS line from their standard machines. IMO, they've done a decent job at differentiating and adding value for the premium prices.

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoDorSean View Post
do you think there would be a market for a 12"? the 13" is already to small in my opinion.
It's a personal thing - I think this has been rehashed a few times now, clearly there's plenty of interest in an ultra-portable. Coming from an ultra-portable (Inspiron 700m) to a 15" MBP, I felt like the MacBook was huge and bulky at first. Now, when I go back to the 700m, it seems almost unusable. But my last two notebooks were ultra-portables and when I was using them regularly, they were very comfortable once you got used to them.

QUOTE Thanks
iKitten

iKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac | 2.16 Ghz | 2 GB ram | 232.44 HD | OSX 10.4.11

I wanted a 12" so badly I bought a PowerBook. Because of the dim display, the heat and the s-l-o-w-n-e-s-s I sent it back. Once my refund comes through, I'll get a MacBook, since I don't believe they'll be offering a 12" MBP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostshadow View Post
Girls with macs are so cute.
"Suffer the little children..." compassion.com
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple confirms LED displays in Macs during 2007 | Airport Extreme Update.. »