New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Blu Ray disk in a Mac - When?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fishquail

fishquail is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMacG4 1ghz. 17 inch.

When do you think we will see Blu Ray disk in a Mac?
Considering the drives cost around 700 to 1000, would this make a new MacBook Pro with Blu Ray cost around 3,500?
QUOTE Thanks
skye

skye is just really niceskye is just really niceskye is just really niceskye is just really nice
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive

I heard that some companies are already making hybrid drives, so its possible that HDDVD and Blu-Ray will both be around. But then again this was some random guy at Game Crazy.
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Someone put a blue-ray drive in a Mac Pro and it worked fine with normal dvds and cds, but since there isn't a blueray driver, nothing on the mac can read them yet.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
Gav

Gav is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StretchR View Post
Someone put a blue-ray drive in a Mac Pro and it worked fine with normal dvds and cds, but since there isn't a blueray driver, nothing on the mac can read them yet.
Actually, there is a company offering a Blu-Ray drive for Macs.

http://www.mcetech.com/blu-ray/
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of

But there still isn't software to watch blue-ray movies. The only thing Mac's can do with blue-ray now, is with Toast 8, which came out after that guy stuck a PC blue-ray drive in his Mac.

Same with HD-DVD. Macs recognized the xBox 360 HD-DVD drive right out of the box, but there isn't software to completely use them yet.

QUOTE Thanks
Martin.

Martin. is a jewel in the roughMartin. is a jewel in the rough

concidering its a format war right now, basicly sony is blue-ray and everyone else is hddvd there isnt going to be a drive with both, i think hd will come before blueray in macs

~Martin.

QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

There already are a few hybrid players that are coming to the market soon, so computer drives will follow soon afterward.

QUOTE Thanks
homer_j

homer_j will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin. View Post
concidering its a format war right now, basicly sony is blue-ray and everyone else is hddvd there isnt going to be a drive with both, i think hd will come before blueray in macs
I dont think that is really the case, there are a number of people supporting either blu-ray or HDDVD and there are some supporting both.

Apple are firmly behind Blu-ray as I understand, hence they will be more likely to support this over the HDDVD.

http://www.engadget.com/2005/09/19/b...on-s-division/

Anyway, im no expert but I do expect to see blu-ray in macs before HDDVD.

Just the road and my MBP.. wohoo.. No wireless networks - DOH! Oh well, wheres my ipod! :headphone
QUOTE Thanks
TheCustomer99

TheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video

Who knows anymore. First I hear Apple is on the Blu-Ray side then I find out they supported the people who now support HDDVD before they ever supported Blu-Ray, and now I hear they've gone format neutral. It is way too confusing and I don't think standard DVDs are ready to die out just yet. But I do hope HDDVD wins because I own a Toshiba HD-A1 and I cannot stand Sony. The spyware they put in a CD that I tried to rip onto my Dell destroyed the burner to the point that I can only burn discs on my PC using iTunes.

"Anecdotal thinking comes naturally, science requires training." - Michael Shermer
QUOTE Thanks
Obtruse

Obtruse will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Currently shopping for my first Mac.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the point of having an HDDVD or blu-ray player in any computer.

I personally don't own one yet, but if I did I would want to view the high definition quality on as big of a screen as I could. Why not just buy the video game console and you get a lot more for your money?
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Its not just about movies. Blu-ray and HD-DVD can also be used as back-up media.

QUOTE Thanks
Obtruse

Ok, let's be generous and say you can buy a blu-ray burner for $600. Then we have to buy the media, so each 50GB disc costs maybe $5. That's 50GB of back-up storage for $605. Granted it might be worth it in the long run, but that's still a lot of money and you'd have to be downloading a **** of a lot of stuff to take full advantage of it.

Compare that to 400GB of storage for $107 (reference newegg item #N82E16822145133).

I'm not sure what the future holds for the IT industry, and no one can deny that it is constantly changing, but unless blu-ray and HD-DVD burners are incredibly cheap, I don't think they're worth the cost for a pc add-on.
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

You have to remember that Blu-Ray and HD-DVD technology is new. All new technology is expensive. When CDs first came out, Sony's CD player was around $1400. Compared to the Blu-Ray and HD-DVD, CD players were about the same price. So saying that its not worth it, your right, right now. Give it a few years, and it will be more consumer friendly, and hopefully one will be adopted over the other.

QUOTE Thanks
Obtruse

I knew I was forgetting something.

A $200 HD-DVD burner? I could do that.

Only time will tell...
QUOTE Thanks
hairlesswookiee

hairlesswookiee is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Black Macbook 1GB 120GB HD...soon to upgrade to 2GB of Ram

[QUOTE=StretchR;337529]You have to remember that Blu-Ray and HD-DVD technology is new. All new technology is expensive. When CDs first came out, Sony's CD player was around $1400. Compared to the Blu-Ray and HD-DVD, CD players were about the same price. So saying that its not worth it, your right, right now. Give it a few years, and it will be more consumer friendly, and hopefully one will be adopted over the other.[/QUOTE
correct and i agree. heck when CD-R started becoming mainstream about 10 years ago i remember them costing an arm and a leg. to be honest i don't see either format completely "winning" this war. blu ray has HDDVD on the storage capacity, but HDDVD beats blu ray by being a cheaper alternative when it comes to production. i see HD DVD making a home in our living rooms for our entertainment purposes, and i see Blu Ray being a computer storage medium. either way they both are great formats, but have their own downfalls and positives. i have the 360 drive and when i hooked it up to my neighbor's 1080p television Kong looked just as good as any Blu Ray movie i've seen on a HD television.

So let me get this straight...we Park in Driveways , Drive on Parkways , and pay tolls on Freeways?!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« US carriers agree to national stolen phone database | Apple to Provide Flashback Removal Tool »