Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Specs:
    iMacG4 1ghz. 17 inch.
    Blu Ray disk in a Mac - When?
    When do you think we will see Blu Ray disk in a Mac?
    Considering the drives cost around 700 to 1000, would this make a new MacBook Pro with Blu Ray cost around 3,500?

Specs:
    Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
    I heard that some companies are already making hybrid drives, so its possible that HDDVD and Blu-Ray will both be around. But then again this was some random guy at Game Crazy.

Specs:
    15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
    Someone put a blue-ray drive in a Mac Pro and it worked fine with normal dvds and cds, but since there isn't a blueray driver, nothing on the mac can read them yet.
    Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10

Quote Originally Posted by StretchR View Post
    Someone put a blue-ray drive in a Mac Pro and it worked fine with normal dvds and cds, but since there isn't a blueray driver, nothing on the mac can read them yet.
    Actually, there is a company offering a Blu-Ray drive for Macs.

http://www.mcetech.com/blu-ray/

Specs:
    But there still isn't software to watch blue-ray movies. The only thing Mac's can do with blue-ray now, is with Toast 8, which came out after that guy stuck a PC blue-ray drive in his Mac.

Same with HD-DVD. Macs recognized the xBox 360 HD-DVD drive right out of the box, but there isn't software to completely use them yet.

concidering its a format war right now, basicly sony is blue-ray and everyone else is hddvd there isnt going to be a drive with both, i think hd will come before blueray in macs
    ~Martin.

Specs:
    There already are a few hybrid players that are coming to the market soon, so computer drives will follow soon afterward.

Specs:
    MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin. View Post
    concidering its a format war right now, basicly sony is blue-ray and everyone else is hddvd there isnt going to be a drive with both, i think hd will come before blueray in macs
    I dont think that is really the case, there are a number of people supporting either blu-ray or HDDVD and there are some supporting both.

Apple are firmly behind Blu-ray as I understand, hence they will be more likely to support this over the HDDVD.

http://www.engadget.com/2005/09/19/b...on-s-division/

Anyway, im no expert but I do expect to see blu-ray in macs before HDDVD.
    Just the road and my MBP.. wohoo.. No wireless networks - DOH! Oh well, wheres my ipod! :headphone

Specs:
    Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
    Who knows anymore. First I hear Apple is on the Blu-Ray side then I find out they supported the people who now support HDDVD before they ever supported Blu-Ray, and now I hear they've gone format neutral. It is way too confusing and I don't think standard DVDs are ready to die out just yet. But I do hope HDDVD wins because I own a Toshiba HD-A1 and I cannot stand Sony. The spyware they put in a CD that I tried to rip onto my Dell destroyed the burner to the point that I can only burn discs on my PC using iTunes.
    "Anecdotal thinking comes naturally, science requires training." - Michael Shermer

Specs:
    Currently shopping for my first Mac.
    Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the point of having an HDDVD or blu-ray player in any computer.

I personally don't own one yet, but if I did I would want to view the high definition quality on as big of a screen as I could. Why not just buy the video game console and you get a lot more for your money?

Specs:
    Its not just about movies. Blu-ray and HD-DVD can also be used as back-up media.

Specs:
    Ok, let's be generous and say you can buy a blu-ray burner for $600. Then we have to buy the media, so each 50GB disc costs maybe $5. That's 50GB of back-up storage for $605. Granted it might be worth it in the long run, but that's still a lot of money and you'd have to be downloading a **** of a lot of stuff to take full advantage of it.

Compare that to 400GB of storage for $107 (reference newegg item #N82E16822145133).

I'm not sure what the future holds for the IT industry, and no one can deny that it is constantly changing, but unless blu-ray and HD-DVD burners are incredibly cheap, I don't think they're worth the cost for a pc add-on.

Specs:
    You have to remember that Blu-Ray and HD-DVD technology is new. All new technology is expensive. When CDs first came out, Sony's CD player was around $1400. Compared to the Blu-Ray and HD-DVD, CD players were about the same price. So saying that its not worth it, your right, right now. Give it a few years, and it will be more consumer friendly, and hopefully one will be adopted over the other.

Specs:
    I knew I was forgetting something.

A $200 HD-DVD burner? I could do that.

Only time will tell...

Specs:
    Black Macbook 1GB 120GB HD...soon to upgrade to 2GB of Ram
    [QUOTE=StretchR;337529]You have to remember that Blu-Ray and HD-DVD technology is new. All new technology is expensive. When CDs first came out, Sony's CD player was around $1400. Compared to the Blu-Ray and HD-DVD, CD players were about the same price. So saying that its not worth it, your right, right now. Give it a few years, and it will be more consumer friendly, and hopefully one will be adopted over the other.[/QUOTE
    correct and i agree. heck when CD-R started becoming mainstream about 10 years ago i remember them costing an arm and a leg. to be honest i don't see either format completely "winning" this war. blu ray has HDDVD on the storage capacity, but HDDVD beats blu ray by being a cheaper alternative when it comes to production. i see HD DVD making a home in our living rooms for our entertainment purposes, and i see Blu Ray being a computer storage medium. either way they both are great formats, but have their own downfalls and positives. i have the 360 drive and when i hooked it up to my neighbor's 1080p television Kong looked just as good as any Blu Ray movie i've seen on a HD television.
    So let me get this straight...we Park in Driveways , Drive on Parkways , and pay tolls on Freeways?!

Thread Information