New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

(HOAX on EBAY) Selling a POWERBOOK - Box

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

noirluispher

So yesterday I was trolling Ebay checking out the deals on Powerbooks. And low and behold, I see one for $550. Thats right the ad said this:

New Apple 17" G4 Powerbook Box, 1Ghz, 60GB, 512MB

Now keep in mind that 12 people have bid on this. So I continue to read the auction and he clearly states that you will be bidding on a Brand New Powerbook BOX.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2791126862

I just had to email him to be sure, This is how that went: (Start at the bottom)

My follow up statement: You are a genius!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Sat 3/6/2004 3:43 PM
To: noirluispher
Subject: Re: Question for seller -- Item #2791126862

His reply: It is just a box...

On 3/6/04 3:36 PM, "joel.rainey@us.army.mil" <joel.rainey@us.army.mil>
wrote:

> "You are bidding on a brand new 17" G4 Powerbook Box only "
>
My question: > Let me get this straight, are you SELLING an EMPTY box?
__________________________________________________ _________________________
Yesterday, when I emailed him the question the auction was at $550 but someone must have retracted their bid because it is only $455 now.

People need to read. It wasn't even in fine print!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
ApplejustWorks

ApplejustWorks is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD

Seems to me that it isn't a hoax, just someone who knows that people don't read much and applies it to make profit!
QUOTE Thanks
noirluispher

That is very true.

It is a hoax from the NON-READING Ebayers perspective.

That LUCKY-UNLUCKY winner sure won't have a leg to stand on when he tries to get his money back.
QUOTE Thanks
tonedogg

I keep looking for a feedback from either one but nothing has come up.
QUOTE Thanks
StarManta

I have a 15" TITANIUM POWERBOOK 1.0GHZ box in my garage.....
QUOTE Thanks
alejandrico

alejandrico is on a distinguished road

how much for it?
QUOTE Thanks
trenollet

I'll sell you my iBook G4 933 box for a bargian price of $300.00 with freel shipping!! :-) That's $260.00 savings :p
QUOTE Thanks
sKaD

sKaD is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram

LMFAO!!!

He even shows a picture of the box empty. That's crazy!!! I wonder if the winning bidder is actually going to pay for it.. or what he/she will do when they get an empty box.

lol, that's insane, makes me want to do that with my G5 box, yet, I don't think I could part with it. I love that box, it's so purrty, now I want to bid on the box he's selling hhmmm
QUOTE Thanks
kjellquist

cripes....I have my iBook, iPod, Airport Extreme boxes just collecting dust...I may try this
QUOTE Thanks
WilliS

wow.... pure genius... of course it is taking advantage of "less than intelligent" people out there on the internet... but oh well, their loss

a fool and his money is soon parted
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Well that is kinda funny, a bit like the other scams there are. BTW the buyer has not -continued- the buy part of it as of tonight... Imagine that... but I feel kinda bad for him... but reading!! :p kinda his own fault... I rarely bother to look at ebay, I know I can easily make a grand off my Amazon parrot if I wanted!
QUOTE Thanks
Violence

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2995073481&category=47 103

lmfao
QUOTE Thanks
Root

to state my ebayer's opinion, it isnt a hoax. if they buyer gets what the description said, it is perfectly within ebay rules. In fact, i might even try it myself.
QUOTE Thanks
s3pt1k

BE WARNED:
I have a friend that was burned on a G5 purchase by a gent who is crating multiple accounts, fake acutions, and giving himself feedback. My friend lost $2000 on a "presale" of G5s from a "reputable seller". The seller is VERY slippery, appears legit, and is currently under investigation not only be eBay's Safe Harbor, but the FTC and the FBI.

Also note: I have talked with my local Apple store and a local authorized Apple agent. It has been estimated that over 50% of all Apple auctions on eBay are fraudulent or involve stolen equipment. IMVHO, the ONLY way to go when it comes to Apple's on eBay is using escrow.com.
QUOTE Thanks
noirluispher

50%!? That seems a little high. Do you really think, that Apple's security is so "SLACK" that it allows so many computers to be stolen? I don't. I believe that percentage is considerably lower, like maybe 10%. All you have to do is check out the sellers history - Feebacks, and then check out the peoples Feedbacks who left them. That should, along, tell you that it's nothing more than an authorized reseller. More than likely, a reseller that's connect to Apple.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iTunes Music Store In Canada, When? | Canon is bollie »