Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Apple Rumors and Reports (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-rumors-reports/)
-   -   (HOAX on EBAY) Selling a POWERBOOK - Box (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-rumors-reports/5137-hoax-ebay-selling-powerbook-box.html)

noirluispher 03-07-2004 08:47 AM

(HOAX on EBAY) Selling a POWERBOOK - Box

So yesterday I was trolling Ebay checking out the deals on Powerbooks. And low and behold, I see one for $550. Thats right the ad said this:

New Apple 17" G4 Powerbook Box, 1Ghz, 60GB, 512MB

Now keep in mind that 12 people have bid on this. So I continue to read the auction and he clearly states that you will be bidding on a Brand New Powerbook BOX.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2791126862

I just had to email him to be sure, This is how that went: (Start at the bottom)

My follow up statement: You are a genius!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Sat 3/6/2004 3:43 PM
To: noirluispher
Subject: Re: Question for seller -- Item #2791126862

His reply: It is just a box...

On 3/6/04 3:36 PM, "joel.rainey@us.army.mil" <joel.rainey@us.army.mil>
wrote:

> "You are bidding on a brand new 17" G4 Powerbook Box only "
>
My question: > Let me get this straight, are you SELLING an EMPTY box?
__________________________________________________ _________________________
Yesterday, when I emailed him the question the auction was at $550 but someone must have retracted their bid because it is only $455 now.

People need to read. It wasn't even in fine print!!!!

ApplejustWorks 03-07-2004 10:16 AM

Seems to me that it isn't a hoax, just someone who knows that people don't read much and applies it to make profit!

noirluispher 03-07-2004 10:31 AM

That is very true.

It is a hoax from the NON-READING Ebayers perspective.

That LUCKY-UNLUCKY winner sure won't have a leg to stand on when he tries to get his money back.

tonedogg 03-10-2004 09:22 PM

I keep looking for a feedback from either one but nothing has come up.

StarManta 03-11-2004 02:15 AM

I have a 15" TITANIUM POWERBOOK 1.0GHZ box in my garage.....

alejandrico 03-11-2004 01:25 PM

how much for it?

trenollet 03-16-2004 03:24 AM

I'll sell you my iBook G4 933 box for a bargian price of $300.00 with freel shipping!! :-) That's $260.00 savings :p

sKaD 03-16-2004 12:09 PM

LMFAO!!!

He even shows a picture of the box empty. That's crazy!!! I wonder if the winning bidder is actually going to pay for it.. or what he/she will do when they get an empty box.

lol, that's insane, makes me want to do that with my G5 box, yet, I don't think I could part with it. I love that box, it's so purrty, now I want to bid on the box he's selling :( hhmmm

kjellquist 03-17-2004 12:27 PM

cripes....I have my iBook, iPod, Airport Extreme boxes just collecting dust...I may try this

WilliS 03-17-2004 09:28 PM

wow.... pure genius... of course it is taking advantage of "less than intelligent" people out there on the internet... but oh well, their loss

a fool and his money is soon parted

witeshark 03-19-2004 12:34 AM

Well that is kinda funny, a bit like the other scams there are. BTW the buyer has not -continued- the buy part of it as of tonight... Imagine that... but I feel kinda bad for him... but reading!! :p kinda his own fault... I rarely bother to look at ebay, I know I can easily make a grand off my Amazon parrot if I wanted!

Violence 03-20-2004 05:53 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2995073481&category=47 103

lmfao

Root 03-21-2004 09:21 PM

to state my ebayer's opinion, it isnt a hoax. if they buyer gets what the description said, it is perfectly within ebay rules. In fact, i might even try it myself.

s3pt1k 03-22-2004 05:12 PM

BE WARNED:
I have a friend that was burned on a G5 purchase by a gent who is crating multiple accounts, fake acutions, and giving himself feedback. My friend lost $2000 on a "presale" of G5s from a "reputable seller". The seller is VERY slippery, appears legit, and is currently under investigation not only be eBay's Safe Harbor, but the FTC and the FBI.

Also note: I have talked with my local Apple store and a local authorized Apple agent. It has been estimated that over 50% of all Apple auctions on eBay are fraudulent or involve stolen equipment. IMVHO, the ONLY way to go when it comes to Apple's on eBay is using escrow.com.

noirluispher 03-30-2004 07:40 PM

50%!? That seems a little high. Do you really think, that Apple's security is so "SLACK" that it allows so many computers to be stolen? I don't. I believe that percentage is considerably lower, like maybe 10%. All you have to do is check out the sellers history - Feebacks, and then check out the peoples Feedbacks who left them. That should, along, tell you that it's nothing more than an authorized reseller. More than likely, a reseller that's connect to Apple.