New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Apple ranks lowest according to Greenpeace

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jdgti

jdgti will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/macworld/200...npeace20061206

Is this reliable article? Does anyone know anything about this?
QUOTE Thanks
dan828

dan828 is a jewel in the roughdan828 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iPad 32 GB 3G

I started a thread about this a while back when it first came out. It is valid, but some of their criteria have to do with potential environmental impacts-- meaning it includes some things that may or may not be bad for the environment, but further study is needed.

You'd think that Apple would have tried to get a better score after the time that has passed since the initial rating, particularly with Dell at the top, but it looks like they haven't.

Quote:
Must do better

Apple has made no improvements in its policies and is now at the bottom of the ranking. While its competition continues to improve, the world leader in innovation and design is falling further and further behind.

We'd expect an innovative company who takes pride in 'thinking different' to be at the top of the ranking - so we've launched the Green my Apple campaign where Mac fans can send a clear message to Apple - we love our Mac, but we wish it came in green.
http://www.greenpeace.org/usa/news/e...nics-companies

and here is there campaign website:

http://www.greenmyapple.com/
QUOTE Thanks
jdgti

I think this is unacceptable. I mean, really? I feel like something must be wrong, maybe greenpeace has a different kind of measurement, and the other companies have adjusted to it. I read an article that was linked from these websites where Steve Jobs disagreed. I think that if the face of a company that bases everything on being different and idealistic can successfully say that greenpeace is bull**** has to say something. But on the other hand, if Dell and Sony can work around these measurements and still be successful why can't apple?

Bottom line, I need some figures. How did they actually measured everything and what apple lacks and what dell and sony have changed? I really don't like how if you follow all the links you still only get this stupid little pie charts ( that i think look like they were made by a 4 year old ) showing apple at 2.7 out of 10 while other companies score 6's and 7's. Where is the criterion/criteria for accessment? Not to mention the original article says that in order to pass a company must get a 7.0 out of 10, and only 3 or 4 companies actually passed. Maybe they should do an article on that...
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

http://www.apple.com/environment/

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
digital john

digital john has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook

To Branson, Missouri with those tree hugging hippies. If anyone takes themselves too serious its them.

QUOTE Thanks
Kar98

Kar98 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2

Greenpeace can kiss my shiny metal...computer case.

Wattage rating of my mini: max 110W, avg 50W (less than a lightbulb)
Wattage rating of the average PC: 500W (~convector oven)

I has a signijer.
QUOTE Thanks
PapaNoHair

PapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital john View Post
To Branson, Missouri with those tree hugging hippies. If anyone takes themselves too serious its them.
I agree with you - I just read an article where 60% of earth scientists say all this hoop-de-doo about global warming is junk science. Unfortunately all the tree huggers get the publicity. It seems only their opinion matters.
QUOTE Thanks
jonutarr

jonutarr is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: ibook super

greenpeace can flip off

so can all the other similar animal groups

buncha liars and hypocrites
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post

my last desktop pc was a sony vaio with a 1.5 G Pentium IV, 1M memory, 80G 5400 HD, and 256M video card (sold about a year and a half ago). it only had a 150W power supply. where are you getting these "average" numbers from?
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Quote:
greenpeace can flip off

so can all the other similar animal groups
Let's not tar everyone with the same brush.
QUOTE Thanks
jdgti

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post
my last desktop pc was a sony vaio with a 1.5 G Pentium IV, 1M memory, 80G 5400 HD, and 256M video card (sold about a year and a half ago). it only had a 150W power supply. where are you getting these "average" numbers from?
Most PC's are between 350-550. You probably know this. You are a special case I believe.

Just my 2 cents.
QUOTE Thanks
scooter

scooter has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post

dell usually puts in a 375 watt power supply or less in it's desktop models. not sure what others use, but it would probably be around the same.

From a G4 400MHz to an Intel Mac Mini to iMac Core Duo to a Macbook Pro 2.6GHz.............gotta love Apple!
QUOTE Thanks
Kar98

Kar98 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post
From the last batch of P4 PCs I've build and sold.

I has a signijer.
QUOTE Thanks
jdgti

The absolute bottom of the barrel Dell Laptop is 130 watt power supply, no core duo, small screen, pretty much nothing... 130 watt supply. The bottom of the barrel dell PC is 275 watt. Just to give you an idea.

And the top of the line laptop and desktop are ridiculous. Try 750 watt power supply for the dell xps 700. I don't even know if that is their highest end home pc. It was just the first one that came up wen I hit desktosp.

750??? Give me a break. Greenpeace should be all over them like stink on ... rice ;-)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple's share of U.S. PC market jumps to 6.1 percent | Winstall.exe - helpp!! »