Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Specs:
    2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
    nasty NASTY Leopord rumor?
    I was at my local computer store today in the Mac section talking to one of the employees and he told me that he "heard" that Leopord will NOT work on G4 and earlier Macs. Has anyone else heard anything like this? I REALLY hope this is not true..

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007

i did a quick google search, and it wouldn't seem likely.

this article summed up some of the basic information pretty well.
    http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1990335,00.asp

seems g4 is still a pretty recently viable technology. i'd guess an individuals success with leopard will depend more on actual clock speed and available ram.

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Whoever was saying that is wrong. G3's from what I have heard will not be supported by Leopard but G4's will.

Was that CompUSA by any chance? At the one here in my city the so called salespeople are very very stupid. One did not even know if they had a Mac on the shelves that was right there hooked up working! :spook:

From all I have heard the G4 will be supported by Leopard. Just no G3's which I can understand.

I guess we will find out soon enough though, but I doubt that person knows what he is talking about.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    i did a quick google search, and it wouldn't seem likely.

this article summed up some of the basic information pretty well.
    http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1990335,00.asp

seems g4 is still a pretty recently viable technology. i'd guess an individuals success with leopard will depend more on actual clock speed and available ram.
    good link. reputation left.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    Whoever was saying that is wrong. G3's from what I have heard will not be supported by Leopard but G4's will.

Was that CompUSA by any chance? At the one here in my city the so called salespeople are very very stupid. One did not even know if they had a Mac on the shelves that was right there hooked up working! :spook:

From all I have heard the G4 will be supported by G4's. Just no G3's which I can understand.

I guess we will find out soon enough though, but I doubt that person knows what he is talking about.
    It was not compusa but I hear you. your comment reminds me of when a friend of mine went to bestbuy and they told him that once his first gen shuffles battery died he had to trash it because the battery could not be replaced.

I hope he is wrong too!

Thanks for the info. reputation left.

Specs:
    Mac Mini, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, Apple TV 4th Gen, Apple Watch (38mm Link Bracelet)
    That just wouldn't make sense. Apple has a HUGE user base of G4's with their overly successful PowerBooks. These Laptops are still swarming the place until they die and get replaced by C2D MacBook Pros, but if Apple did that to their portables, they might as well stop supporting their desktop iMac G5.

See the point?
    If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System by hitting the icon on the left.

I think apple would be making a huge mistake if Leopord didn't support the G4's. I would be very upset if this was true, becasue I bought one of the last of the ibooks earlier this year.

Specs:
    MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
    I know the mac revolution has seen an upsurge with the Intel macs, but I wonder what percentage of mac notebooks are PPC and what percentage are Intel. Whatever the numbers, I would wager that Apple can't afford to cut out the PPC percentage of the notebook market by dropping G4 support. G3 I can imagine, but not G4.

Specs:
    MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
    Consider developers are using Leopard on G4 systems, that rumor would be false.
    schweb | community leader
    flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

Specs:
    Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    Yeah, we have a few test emacs at work that use G4's and run leopard just fine ...

Possibly he was trying to convince you to buy a new machine?

Quruli
    I knew this was bullocks. Apple wouldnt just abandon PPC that quickly, those I think everyone will understand that the G3s are gone. Maybe 10.6 or .7 at the very earliest IMO.

Specs:
    1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB
    Yeah about a month ago they used to list Leopard as supporting G3 even saying it was "G3 to Xeon", now that has disappeared but G4 just doesn't seam like;y just yet, they only stopped selling G4 laptops less than 12 months ago.
    Mac Life - Apple Mac computers news, forums and more...

http://www.finiteloops.com

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabjabs View Post
    Yeah about a month ago they used to list Leopard as supporting G3 even saying it was "G3 to Xeon", now that has disappeared but G4 just doesn't seam like;y just yet, they only stopped selling G4 laptops less than 12 months ago.
    I hope you all are right and it supports G4's. It should. you make a great point about the powerbook. I bought mine 12.5 months ago and it would be crazy to think leopard would not support it.

Specs:
    Mac Pro 2.66 - 4 Gig Ram, iMac G5 2 Gig ram 20"
    Ya gotta remember one thing. If Apple writes a new version of OS X and supports every computer they have ever built and supports every printer ever made, and supports every graphics card ever made, what do you have?

An Apple version of Windows...

I can see full support for machines say back 5 years, but expecting them to support from day one just leaves you with a bloated, buggy operating system that really doesn't take advantage of todays machinery. Be like trying to run Vista on a 286 machine with 256 ram... Even Microsoft finally saw the folly in trying to do that.

Just ask yourself this question, do i really expect OSX version 22.13.8 to run on my now new Mac Pro 10 years from now? I certainly don't, and if you want to see advances neither should you.
    Mac Pro Intel 2.66 - Quad Core - 16 Gigs Ram - 10.11.2 - 30" Apple Monitor
    iMac 24" 2 gigs ram - MacBook Pro

Specs:
    MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Just ask yourself this question, do i really expect OSX version 22.13.8 to run on my now new Mac Pro 10 years from now? I certainly don't, and if you want to see advances neither should you.
    I think that's pretty much accepted the world over. This particular thread is about the mistaken assertion that Apple will drop G4 support as soon as OS X 10.5. I'm sure PPC will go the way of the dodo, but it won't be in Leopard.

Thread Information