New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Apple's share of U.S. PC market jumps to 6.1 percent

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

From Apple Insider:

First on AI: Sales of Apple's Macintosh computers over the past twelve month's have grown faster than any other major PC manufacturer, boosting the company's share of the U.S. PC market to 6.1 percent, according to data released by Gartner on Wednesday.

Between the third calendar quarter of 2005 and the third quarter of 2006, Apple's U.S. Mac unit shipments grew 31 percent from 744,000 units to 975,000 units, preliminary data from the firm shows.

Apple's 6.1 percent share puts it right behind Gateway, whose 6.4 percent share allowed it to maintain its No. 3 position for U.S. PC shipments.

Dell held onto the No. 1 position in the U.S. PC market with a 32.1 percent share despite a 7.1 percent decline in shipments year-over-year. It was followed by HP, which grew its share of the market from 21.2 percent to 23 percent.

Behind Apple in fifth place was Toshiba, which shipped 813,000 units during the third quarter -- good enough for 5.1 percent share.

On the other hand, Apple did not place within the top five PC manufacturers worldwide, and therefore data on its worldwide market share and PC shipments was not included in Gartner's preliminary third quarter results.

"Since these are preliminary figures, we only have the top 5 vendors worldwide at this time and Apple was not in the top 5," a spokesperson for the firm told AppleInsider.

Gartner said Hewlett-Packard regained the No. 1 position for worldwide PC shipments in third quarter for the first time since the fourth quarter of 2003.

HP's 16.3 percent share was followed by Dell with 16.1 percent. Lenovo's 7.5 percent share, Acer's 5.9 percent and Toshiba's 4.3 percent rounded out the top five.

In total, Gartner said worldwide PC shipments totaled 59.1 million units in the third quarter of 2006, a 6.7 percent increase from the same period last year.

At the same time, the U.S. PC market experienced a year-over-year shipment decline of 2 percent. The last time the U.S. PC market suffered a decline in PC shipments was the second quarter of 2002, the firm said.

QUOTE Thanks
PapaNoHair

PapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nice

What great news! May the rise continue!
QUOTE Thanks
digital john

digital john has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook

Wow great news, although some people might not see it that way.

QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

It is good news. More Macs means more software development companies investing and more choice for Mac users. Ultimately it should lead to lower prices too.

I can't believe Dell's market share in this country... over priced, ugly and under powered. Ugh.
QUOTE Thanks
kman445

kman445 is just really nicekman445 is just really nicekman445 is just really nicekman445 is just really nice
Mac Specs: 27" 5k imac i7, 295x

i can see it as a benifit and a disadvantage, we will get more notice, and more 3rd party programs,, but the possibility for more viruses

"I asked who i am to her, and she yelled god"
QUOTE Thanks
Jabjabs

Jabjabs is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB

Quote:
Wow great news, although some people might not see it that way.
True, but it's all good until it goes bad which may be never but then who knows.

Other wise this is great news.

Mac Life - Apple Mac computers news, forums and more...

http://www.finiteloops.com
QUOTE Thanks
Sherman Homan

Sherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the rough

There has been more interest from Windows users looking for a new computer in the MacBook Pro's than I have heard in years.
QUOTE Thanks
CSA

CSA is an unknown at this point

Sorry guys I don't believe Apple hype or marketing figures.
Im sure mac is going well but i think PC's and Windows are selling more to.
A lot of these new Mac owners are getting windows as well.

I dont know anyone who has purchased a Mac.( I know 3 guys in the last 2 months that got new PC's( I Tried to make them switch))
Appart from work and Uni I dont even know anyone with a Mac.
I heard Mac Osx market share is falling
Here
HERE
MARKET SHARE
I just wont believe stuff from Apple or Apple insider.
lets hope its true
QUOTE Thanks
Bonzaisushi

Bonzaisushi is on a distinguished road

funny, ive seen more pc's go out the window inthe past 2 months and macs coming into replace these puppies.

:yinyang:
Mac Book Pro 17" 2 Gig Ram, 120 gig

Canon 1dMarkII // Canon 20D// Some Lenses
Bonzai Photography!Click me!
QUOTE Thanks
CSA

Ha. Wish I could say the same here.

Guess people with Macs are more likely to know other people with Macs.

I just find it strange that the US is the biggest market in the world and that Mac sales are supposed to be increasing in the US, yet Macs world wide market share is going down.

I cant understand why people would still buy PC's unless they are hardcore gamers or 3D designers??
QUOTE Thanks
InlineFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
I can't believe Dell's market share in this country... over priced, ugly and under powered. Ugh.
Actually that's not quite true, now that Apple uses Intel chips they are both very close to equal performers. And I find the new Optiplexs very svelte. :headphone
QUOTE Thanks
D.A.R.Y.L.

D.A.R.Y.L. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by InlineFive View Post
Actually that's not quite true, now that Apple uses Intel chips they are both very close to equal performers. And I find the new Optiplexs very svelte. :headphone
I agree, now I am thinking about getting a dell xps 700 instead of a new imac
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Sorry guys I don't believe Apple hype or marketing figures.
Im sure mac is going well but i think PC's and Windows are selling more to.
A lot of these new Mac owners are getting windows as well.
Talk about anecdotal evidence!

Quote:
according to data released by Gartner on Wednesday
And the source is quoted.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSA View Post
I just find it strange that the US is the biggest market in the world and that Mac sales are supposed to be increasing in the US, yet Macs world wide market share is going down.
You shouldn't be surprised by that at all. As cheap PCs flood the 3rd world, of course their worldwide marketshare is going to rise. Apple is not about budget computing, most 3rd world people can't afford a Mac.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
CSA

That has not thing to do with it.
3rd world counties are not a significant market if they can be called a market at all with so many millions of donations, (a lot from Bill himself) they have be flooded for a while.

To say Apples decline in world market share is because of these 3rd world countries sounds desperate and hopeful to say the least.

Actually sounds like Steve Jobs G5 bench marks or propaganda. I know Steve would claim these figures as market share if they were Apples but i hardly think Microsoft or any PC vendor is claiming any donations as market share. Even if they were plus any sales in 3rd world counries it would be drop in the bucket.

If you just had the market share for the G20 nations, Apple would still be losing market share.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« nasty NASTY Leopord rumor? | Apple ranks lowest according to Greenpeace »