New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Best Buy deal could add $400M to Apple's top line

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

coltssaturday

coltssaturday is just really nicecoltssaturday is just really nicecoltssaturday is just really nicecoltssaturday is just really nice

Quote:
If Apple Computer's pilot program at Best Buy retail stores proves to be a success, a full expansion could generate as much as $400 million in additional Mac sales for the company each year, says one Wall Street analyst.

In a research note released to clients on Thursday, Morgan Stanley analyst Rebecca Runkle compared the Cupertino, Calif.-based company's US retail store coverage to that of Best Buy's. She found that at a bare minimum, a full distribution partnership with the electronics retailer would add 100,000 new Mac sales and $160 million in annual revenue for Apple.
Link to full story.
QUOTE Thanks
alucard

alucard is a jewel in the roughalucard is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Quad 2.66GHz Intel Xeon W/3GB Ram & 250GB HDD

It would be interesting to see how that would work out. About a year ago our Best buy sold Mac minis but it was short lived.
QUOTE Thanks
Mattlike

Mattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really nice
Mac Specs: Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac

They have been pimpin Mac/Bestbuy (performed by one of the disc jockeys)commercials on the local radio station I listen to here in LA.
QUOTE Thanks
coltssaturday

coltssaturday is just really nicecoltssaturday is just really nicecoltssaturday is just really nicecoltssaturday is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard
It would be interesting to see how that would work out. About a year ago our Best buy sold Mac minis but it was short lived.
I am glad that Jobs came up with the idea to open up Apple stores.
QUOTE Thanks
alucard

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltssaturday
I am glad that Jobs came up with the idea to open up Apple stores.
Yes. I think that is one reason why more people are switching to Macs. You have everything in one place. the one in ouor mall is always packed. I never see it slow. I bought my wife an iMac about 5 year ago (the one with the round base). She liked it but it was very hard for her to learn the new interface and not many programs were out for it that she wanted. Fast forward to now and when we bought her macbook at the Apple Store they emailed us a little getting started guide, we got the Pro Care and got some one on one training. I wish they had all this 5 years ago. We would have been experts by now
QUOTE Thanks
coltssaturday

Quote:
.......I wish they had all this 5 years ago. We would have been experts by now
You will be in the next 5 years. LOL! :yinyang:
QUOTE Thanks
alucard

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltssaturday
You will be in the next 5 years. LOL! :yinyang:
HAHA! True

I keep trying to think of ways to make the company I work for switch to Macs. It'll never happen, but here's to dreamin'.

Although since I have switched, two other co workers have switched their home computers to Mac's. So you never know.
QUOTE Thanks
coltssaturday

Quote:
HAHA! True

I keep trying to think of ways to make the company I work for switch to Macs. It'll never happen, but here's to dreamin'.

Although since I have switched, two other co workers have switched their home computers to Mac's. So you never know.
Thats ok that you haven't convinced the whole company but for a good start 2 is good. :spook:
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Note that CompUSA sells Macs in store as well. Certainly the local CompUSA closest to me seems to staff their Mac area (a very well defined, Mac dedicated corner of the store) with real Mac people - they seem VERY knowledgable to a switcher like myself, not the usual generalist sales person.

So, if Best Buy can do the same thing, and impress people with the quality of the showroom floor for Macs and the quality of the sales people, they could do quite well. I think they need to try to recreate something of the Apple Store experience in a small "store-let" within the store. This is what CompUSA seems to strive for, and I have been very happy with it.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Beemer

Beemer will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Intel 20" Mac

I think Mac's in Best Buy would be a great thing. Defintely would increase mac users and let them all know the greatness behind them. Gives the customer and best buy more variety also.
QUOTE Thanks
to_tough_to_die

to_tough_to_die will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac57
Note that CompUSA sells Macs in store as well. Certainly the local CompUSA closest to me seems to staff their Mac area (a very well defined, Mac dedicated corner of the store) with real Mac people - they seem VERY knowledgable to a switcher like myself, not the usual generalist sales person.

So, if Best Buy can do the same thing, and impress people with the quality of the showroom floor for Macs and the quality of the sales people, they could do quite well. I think they need to try to recreate something of the Apple Store experience in a small "store-let" within the store. This is what CompUSA seems to strive for, and I have been very happy with it.
*Rolls on floor laughing*

You've gotta be kidding me... CompUSA has the worst-staffed Mac sections in all of retail.

I'd use Windows... but I like the Mac OS more.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Its probably a store-by-store thing, but our local CompUSA has a fellow there every weekend who is a Mac zealot. He gives Mac lectures at the store, is a tireless proponent of Macs, and will talk your ear off about how wonderful they are, with real facts to back it up, even if there is clearly no hope of a sale today. No, some CompUSAs are doing this VERY well.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
alucard

Quote:
Originally Posted by to_tough_to_die
*Rolls on floor laughing*

You've gotta be kidding me... CompUSA has the worst-staffed Mac sections in all of retail.

I hate CompUSA. Bad experience as a kid with them. I wouldn't mind if they went out of business. I dont have experience with them in regards to Mac's but with PC stuff NONE of the people in ours seems to know anything. You ask them a question and they give you the "dear in the headlights look." I only go if i absolutely need something. And thats after i try Best Buy, Circuit City, Office Depot and Office Max.
QUOTE Thanks
MacMania55

MacMania55 is a jewel in the roughMacMania55 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb

I dont know about selling macs at bestbuy. With all the apple stores opening up around the US I think they have been exposed enough. Bestbuy may not sell very well because they may not be able to offer free printers ipods or educational discounts. I dont think it is a good idea. Plus when my local bestbuy started to sell mac minis they were soon outdated, they were not even running tiger. Nobody was buying them

MacMania55
QUOTE Thanks
coltssaturday

mac57 i agree with you about compusa but i think wouldn't you also like it if there were all macs in a store if you wanted to buy so you would have choices.

I don't know about compusa's customer service but i like Apple's stores.

I would prefer Apple's store over any store like bestbuy or compusa because it is Apple's store where you buy Apple stuff.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Remember the iMac G5? | Apple Pulls Plug on Original iMac »