The new "Glossy" displays for Apple Laptops
    With the release of the Macbooks today, they include what Apple call a "glossy" display. The MacBook Pro range has also been upgraded (processor bumps) and also now sport these new displays too.

About time I think. I've seen a lot of people complain how PC laptops tend to have better displays and they are normally of this glossy variety.

**EDIT**

Hmm the plot thickens, it seems they aren't replacing the displays with glossy ones, you get to choose whether you want the normal one or the glossy one, at no extra cost.

From the Apple Store they have a "Learn More" link where you can choose the glossy display, it reads:

Display

Choose the glossy widescreen display to make your graphics, photos, and videos appear with richer color and deeper blacks - great for watching DVD movies. If you prefer a display with anti-glare coating for a matte rather than glossy viewing experience, choose the standard widescreen display.

Both widescreen displays are significantly brighter than previous Apple notebooks. The 15-inch MacBook Pro is 67% brighter than the 15-inch PowerBook G4, and the 17-inch model is 36% brighter than the 17-inch PowerBook G4.

Specs:
    i dont have no mac's
    still nice to see better displays, and also a choice of two better displays... A+!
    MoTM honor roll...
    when?
    i dont remember

lil
    Blimey new MacBooks...

*rubs eyes*

This has to be a joke

This is what happens when I go to work I suppose

Vicky

Quote Originally Posted by lil
    Blimey new MacBooks...

*rubs eyes*

This has to be a joke

This is what happens when I go to work I suppose

Vicky
    Vicky- you sound dissapointed. I hated to see that they put shared video in the MacBook...
    New MacBookPro | 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo |2 GB RAMMac OS X Leopard Version 10.5.5 | iPod Touch 8 GB | iPod Classic 80 GB

Specs:
    12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
    Glossy really doesn't have anything to do with the quality of the display, just the coating on the surface. It's the backlight, and to some degree the quality of the panel itself, that determines the quality.

The MacBook Pro, according to what I've heard, already had a more powerful backlight than the PowerBooks.

Glossy screens mean more glare. Glossy does make a nice impression in stores, though.

lil
    Not disappointed, more tongue in cheek :flower: I just had this small part of me that knew the professional ultramobile Mac notebook would not pass the Intel transition without being axed. Especially as the 12" PowerBook was such a refined piece of kit. If you ask me, the 'low end' models should be in black or white, and the top end a MacBook Pro in aluminium.

I suspect Apple's issue was distringuishing it from the MacBook however, a continual issue so long as the iBookG4 and PowerBook G4 12" were around...

That all said however, I find the MacBook actually exceeds most of my expectations. The XBrite (Sony's TM for the glossy screen Apple now uses) alike display is unexpected, and hopefully the screen is quite bright, as the 12" PB vs. my Dell 2001Fp looks rather dull, but that is to be expected—and I expect I have aged the little monkey by using it practically every day since I bought it.

What makes me grin a little is my meeting with the boss last week where I asked if I could have my own laptop, ie: an Apple since I am still using my own laptop from home, the PowerBook. He's pretty happy to oblige considering it was Apple that in a twisted weird sense that brought me to my current job.

Vicky

MJGUK
    Well I opted for the Glossy Display when I ordered my new MacBook Pro today, hopefully it will be a nice touch

I'm going to be ordering me one sometime this summer/fall--I'll be going for the white one though...I can not seem to justify that price just for a black paint job.
    New MacBookPro | 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo |2 GB RAMMac OS X Leopard Version 10.5.5 | iPod Touch 8 GB | iPod Classic 80 GB

Specs:
    Mac Mini, iPad Air 2, iPhone 7+, Apple TV 4th Gen, Apple Watch (38mm Link Bracelet)
    Shared video is one thing that shocked me. That they put core duos in there was the other whopper. Finally being a "Pro" just means having a bigger screen and a silver case.

The black one looks nice, but I'd stick with white for the "Apple Effect" when sitting at the Airport lounge.
    If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System by hitting the icon on the left.

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
    I had a "glossy" display on my HP L2000 and I really liked it. The only issue that arose was once in a while was if the light hit it just right there was a bad reflection, sort of like a T.V. reflecting outside light, or a lamp.
    My Avatar is in memory of my beloved K-9,
    Dillinger who was killed in the line of duty.

Specs:
    Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillinger-63
    I had a "glossy" display on my HP L2000 and I really liked it. The only issue that arose was once in a while was if the light hit it just right there was a bad reflection, sort of like a T.V. reflecting outside light, or a lamp.
    They seem easier to clean though. My Dad's HP is so much more dust-resistant and easily cleanable than that of my PowerBook...
    I'd use Windows... but I like the Mac OS more.

Thread Information