New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Apple Product Names

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vbr2

vbr2 will become famous soon enough

In the past keynote, it was mentioned that that the word "mac" was going to be in the entire line of computers and laptops and that they wanted to remove "power" from their products cause "we're through with power"...

right now we can all agree that the ibook will become just the macbook...that's a given...

but what about the power mac?? The G 3,4,5,6... will no longer be used.
what's to distinguish this model from the next?
Power Mac...
Power Mac what?
Intel Mac?? - no
God Mac Pro
GodthisisasickMac
any creative thoughts?
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs

According to MacRumors.com it is going to be:

MacPro

It's already been registered.

Oh and as far as generations go, I think they'll use the nickname of the processor. I.e. "MacPro Woodcrest"

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
dimagex20

dimagex20 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven

Well, weather it is a good name or not, the computer will still sell.

It's all good.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimagex20
Well, weather it is a good name or not, the computer will still sell.
The 15" MacBook Pro certainly proved that. :mac:
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Mac Tower

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs

SuperMac

IndustrialStrengthMac

MacDeskPro

FastSpeedMacProcessHard

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfwax95
Oh and as far as generations go, I think they'll use the nickname of the processor. I.e. "MacPro Woodcrest"
If we base this on Apples prior history, it would be the code name for the Motherboard or some part of the computer itself, not the chip. Apple had the G4, Sawtooth and Yikes!, Mirrored Disc Door (MDD) and others, but was never big on using chip nicknames in the product. For the G5 towers, they even seem to have done away with the nicknames and just used the machine stats (I.E G5 Quad or G5 Dual 2.7 etc). Don't forget, the G3, G4 and G5 have all gone through individual chip generations, with names, yet this never reflected in the product names

Then again, they could change that.

QUOTE Thanks
DCraver

DCraver is a jewel in the roughDCraver is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac G5

Quote:
That sounds really bad.

I can just see it now...

"Oh yeah I picked up my new MacPro Woodcrest today"
"You did what with who?"
QUOTE Thanks
dimagex20

dimagex20 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven

Haha.

It's all good.
QUOTE Thanks
macEfan

macEfan is a jewel in the roughmacEfan is a jewel in the roughmacEfan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9

Quote:
SuperMac

IndustrialStrengthMac

MacDeskPro

FastSpeedMacProcessHard
It would be nice if they used SuperMac, but Umax has it (c) already... They used that name back when there were mac clones...

Report offensive posts
Don't forget to use the rep system!
QUOTE Thanks
iWonder

iWonder is a jewel in the roughiWonder is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.

BigMac

CoMac (co-mac; comic.)

SupremeMac

Macncheese
-------------------------------
you asked for creativeness
QUOTE Thanks
lil

According to my own ramblings in my book, the MacBook Pro revision shall be named...

"Apple Super “The Jobs-ulator” Bling Book XL-500"

Oh... Just read the next line:

"Ah, no hang on, it does not exist. The MacBook Pro is Apple’s present top of the line notebook."

Who knows to be honest. What is true is that the G3/G4 (especially the G4!!) monicker wasn't that accurate as the G4 was essentially changed completely with the PowerPC 7450 and onwards line (Jan 2001 onwards) compared to the older PowerPC 7400—so Apple has not had an issue in the past with the monicker being rather vague. The iBook G3 for example, the first ones have a PowerPC 750, the last ones a PowerPC 750FX not from Motorola but IBM! And they are again almost very different chips.

Bottom line is, Apple will find a way to market it, no doubt they will....

Oh news just in...

"Apple's PR department has announced that all future Macs will be named after a Chipmunk, and after the third iteration will return to the first chipmunk's name. The first new Mac will be called the 'Mac Simon', followed in February 2007 with the 'Mac Alvin', finally in October 2007 with the 'Mac Theodore'. The Racoons at this stage are presently unable to comment on the story but voiced their displeasure at the agreement by ravaging Steve Jobs' trashcans."

:flower:

Vicky
QUOTE Thanks
mr g5

mr g5 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM

when is the new power mac going to be released, I was they would keep the smae names then it would be "intel powermac" i like that better than macpro
QUOTE Thanks
macAttack

macAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook

macbox
machome
QUOTE Thanks
gh11

gh11 is on a distinguished road

i liked powermac
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Pro strange pricing | Apple announces 17" Macbook Pro »