New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

French lawmakers OK bill to force open iTunes

Thread Closed

scooter

scooter has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid

anybody else watching this in the news?

Quote:
"PARIS - France’s lower house of parliament passed a law Tuesday that could challenge Apple Computer Inc.’s dominance of the online digital music market by making it open its iTunes store to portable music players other than Apple iPods.

French officials said the law is aimed at preventing any single media-playing operating system, such as Apple’s iTunes or Microsoft Corp.’s Windows Media Player, from building a grip on the digital online music retail market.

“These clauses, which we hope will be taken up by other countries, notably at the European level, should prevent the emergence of a monopoly in the supply of online culture,” Richard Cazenave and Bernard Carayon, National Assembly deputies from the ruling UMP party, said in a statement on Tuesday."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11943799/

From a G4 400MHz to an Intel Mac Mini to iMac Core Duo to a Macbook Pro 2.6GHz.............gotta love Apple!
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs

I hope it goes through and they do the same here in America. Having the iPod be the ONLY Mp3 player that works with iTunes is so Micro$oft of Apple.

Yea, yea, they're out to make money, blah blah... :mac:

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

iTunes does work with other mp3 players.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
Kokopelli

Far more likely Apple will pull iTunes out of the French market.
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman
iTunes does work with other mp3 players.
Well then what's the fuss about?

*Reads further down in the article*

Oh, sorry.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
inflexion

inflexion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli
Far more likely Apple will pull iTunes out of the French market.
Id second that why would they effectively allow piracy?

Apple, think different
dan828

dan828 is a jewel in the roughdan828 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iPad 32 GB 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflexion
Id second that why would they effectively allow piracy?
Piracy is rampant already. The people that don't pirate music are either *gasp* honest or just to stupid and lazy to spend the minimal effort it takes to find and illegally download the music that they want. (** edit, as some seem unable to understand this, this isn't advocation piracy, it's saying piracy is easy and you'd have to be stupid or lazy not to be able to figure out how to do it if you wanted to. Nor is it saying that anyone that doesn't pirate music is stupid or lazy.)

In my experience, just about the only thing that DRM does is make it difficult for legitimate music purchasers to use the product they purchased in the way that they want to. The French law recognizes that.
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan828
In my experience, just about the only thing that DRM does is make it difficult for legitimate music purchasers to use the product they purchased in the way that they want to. The French law recognizes that.
How is that?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
to_tough_to_die

to_tough_to_die will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan828
Piracy is rampant already. The people that don't pirate music are either *gasp* honest or just to stupid and lazy to spend the minimal effort it takes to find and illegally download the music that they want.
I'm not lazy, or stupid. But A) if you want really support an artist, buying their CD is a much better way, and B) the *legal* stuff I've downloaded off of Bittorrent doesn't have the sound quality I get off of a CD (granted I also have my entire collection encoded in Apple Lossless and run my iPod through an amp with PocketDock).

I'd use Windows... but I like the Mac OS more.
mblphnlvr

mblphnlvr is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: G4 15" PowerBook 1.3Ghz, 1gb, 120gb hd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman
How is that?
Well, how about apple not letting you burn your downloaded music onto an mp3 cd. My aunt is trying to do this to play in her car, but the only way to do it is by a big conversion process. This is stupid, she paid for it!
evolve

evolve will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" iMac G5- 1.8Ghz - 1GB of Ram - AND - 17" Intel Core 2 Duo iMac - 2Ghz - 1GB of Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblphnlvr
Well, how about apple not letting you burn your downloaded music onto an mp3 cd. My aunt is trying to do this to play in her car, but the only way to do it is by a big conversion process. This is stupid, she paid for it!
I can burn my Downloaded stuff to a CD...

dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolve
I can burn my Downloaded stuff to a CD...
So can I.
Tiranis

When you buy music from iTunes you don't buy the music itself, you buy the file that contains the music together with DRM. That's the agreement you make with Apple when purchasing a song. Nobody forces you to shop at iTMS, but if you do, you have no right to complain since you agreed with Apple's terms.

Apple never promised you a full rights to the song with all the priveleges, they promised you a AAC file with DRM. That's what you got. If you're not happy with that, don't buy it—simple as that.

If I buy a car that runs on gas, I won't expect it to start running on water (oxygen, diesel, etc.) all of a sudden.
chuckalicious

chuckalicious is on a distinguished road

Dan828. [Snip] You claim people who don't pirate music are stupid or lazy. How about being, *gasp* as you say, honest. I have the money, so I can buy the CDs, or the tracks off iTunes. If I don't have the money, I won't buy the CDs, but I certainly won't go out and pirate the music just because I'm either too tight to spend my money on legit purchases or because I don't mind stealing.

Copying music is exactly the same as shoplifting or any other theft, it's just easier. By not buying an artists music, the company that owns the copyright, and who pays the artist, don't get the money. In turn that will reflect on said artists popularity via sales and chart positions, and, as is seen quite often, may affect how they are treated in the future by their record company, lowering the chance of the artist releasing more quality work.

I buy tracks off of iTunes and I haven't found the DRM restrictive in the slightest, I play it on multiple machines, my iPod and the CD player in my car. That's all I want to do with it.

So if the French gov decide that Apple have to make their DRM open to other players, as will MS and anyone else, then I don't blame them for pulling out of France. The French complain about almost everything anyway
Kokopelli

chuckalicious there is no need for insulting other members. I happen to disagree with Dan828 on this as well but I don't feel it reflects upon his intelligence.

Dan828 what rampant piracy shows is that given the opportunity a large number of people will do something that they know is illegal. Another significant part of the populace believe it is not even illegal. (Yes copyright law varies from county to country, I am discussing U.S. and French law since the stance seems clear in those two countries.) Finally quite a few do not find it morally incorrect though I do. What DRM as Apple does is makes the user aware that unfettered sharing is not the intent of the seller (ITMS) nor the right of the buyer. It does not restrict you very much for legitmite uses.

mblphnlvr, yes an MP3 CD does require some hoops to go through to make from music purchased at ITMS. Why not simply burn a music CD instead? You can fit less tracks on each CD, but is that a big deal? Further you are converting from lossy to lossy format, which is not a good thing to do regardless of DRM. If your aunt really has her heart set on making a MP3 CD that is lower quality, but with more songs, create a new thread.

Thread Closed

« Amazons Online Movie Service. | Os 11 »