New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Apple outsourcing techsupport to india

Thread Closed

dan828

dan828 is a jewel in the roughdan828 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iPad 32 GB 3G

http://www.tuaw.com/2006/03/09/apple...port-to-india/

I don't get why companies continue to do this. Sure it's cheaper, but most customers absolutely hate it. Sad to see Apple going this route.

I have at times had perfectly fine tech support by someone located in India, but have at other times gotten people that I couldn't understand at all or who obviously did not understand what I was saying and were just attempting to read a script. It's very hit or miss and can be extremely frustrating, and that Apple has had a US tech support staff has been a plus on their side. Not anymore I guess. New tech support is supposed to begin in a couple of months.
Beemer

Beemer will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Intel 20" Mac

Not another company....

Doing this does not look good for the company...
kaidomac

kaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nice
Mac Specs: G4 Cube

$799 20" Apple widescreen LCD vs. $397 20" Dell widescreen LCD...integrated graphics in the new Intel Mini...outsourcing tech support to India...when will it stop??

Oh well, at least my hardware looks cool.
to_tough_to_die

to_tough_to_die will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM

*sigh*

I'd use Windows... but I like the Mac OS more.
lil

When I rang Apple Care last August, I must gave got through to a chap in India. He was very helpful if a bit difficult to understand at times but then I am quite used to the telephone. At least I presume it was in India, he had far too much of an accent as it were to be based in Uxbridge :flower:

That said, Apple is a company in it for the money at the end of the day, so economically it makes sense for them. The company is no saint.

Just as well I don't really need to phone them I guess!

Vicky
sbatson

sbatson is on a distinguished road

I have to agree with companies doing what makes good business sense and increases profits. What I don't agree with, is when it affects quality of product or service. Barriers caused by hard to understand accents, behavior/cultural differences can make it very difficult for the customer needing support. Enough bad experiences from customers and the word starts to get out and doesn't look good for the company.

While I'm not keen on the idea of tech support being outsourced to India for the reasons mentioned above, I've had just as bad expereinces with US Based tech support from people that speak perfect english. Personally, I noticed tech support with many companies going down the tubes long before the foriegn outsourcing trend began.

Companies can't afford to have their skilled technicians and engineers on the phones so they pay hourly employees the lowest wage that they can to sit on the phone and read scripts from whatever support system them have. With the appropriate training, I do beleive that they could improve the experience, but until enough customers complain or it starts to hurt their image and pocket book, I'd be surprised to see anything change. It's too bad really.

Steve
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

yes, this practice annoys us all and we hate it.

But what will any of us do in order to stop it?

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan828
http://www.tuaw.com/2006/03/09/apple...port-to-india/

I don't get why companies continue to do this. Sure it's cheaper, but most customers absolutely hate it. Sad to see Apple going this route.

I have at times had perfectly fine tech support by someone located in India, but have at other times gotten people that I couldn't understand at all or who obviously did not understand what I was saying and were just attempting to read a script. It's very hit or miss and can be extremely frustrating, and that Apple has had a US tech support staff has been a plus on their side. Not anymore I guess. New tech support is supposed to begin in a couple of months.
Generally speaking, I like to actually... you know... have a bad experience with something before calling it bad. I'll wait to see how good/bad Apple's support team in India actually will be before concluding Apple's phone support is going to drop to the level of AOL's or Dell's. Then again, that could just be me with my crazy method of trusting what I see for myself more than conjectures based on irrelevant material.
Fallooza

Fallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil
When I rang Apple Care last August... Just as well I don't really need to phone them I guess!

Vicky
*Fallooza stares at screen confused*
tom_hoyle

tom_hoyle is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 27" i7, iBook G4, iPod 5th Gen 30Gb

As yet I haven't had to call tech support.

Although I tend to attempt to fix the problem myself if something goes wrong.

I don't mind if a call centre is in India, I understand why a company does it, there's various reasons but to put it simply and quickly it's more economical for a company.

I especially don't mind if the call centre is in India if I haven't got a problem to report.

I love my iBook, it works perfectly!
dan828

dan828 is a jewel in the roughdan828 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iPad 32 GB 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discerptor
Generally speaking, I like to actually... you know... have a bad experience with something before calling it bad. I'll wait to see how good/bad Apple's support team in India actually will be before concluding Apple's phone support is going to drop to the level of AOL's or Dell's. Then again, that could just be me with my crazy method of trusting what I see for myself more than conjectures based on irrelevant material.
For me tech support is usually "Did that already" and "already tried that" or "no that wouldn't be the case because..." for a bit before I either give in a let them complete their script or convince them that the thing really is broke and I need to send it in. If they can't effectively communicate in English this usually takes longer. As I said, many times the people are great. Once or twice I've ended up with someone that could only read the script, didn't understand what I was saying, and seemed to randomly throw in various phrases that didn't seem to fit the situation. In that case I've had to just hang up and try again. Overall, I don't think anyone disagrees that switching to non-native English speaking tech support degrades the level of service provided.
teenagemom

indian labor is very much cheaper although if apple is considering a good costumer service maybe they sshould go to other asian country that has better accent and its easier to understand...maybe we can give apple suggestion on what country they can put their costumer support... :doctor:
to_tough_to_die

to_tough_to_die will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM

I'm just really angry; you shell out, what $250 for AppleCare and they give you some random guy you can't even understand? My grandfather owns a Dell... I've been on the phone with their tech support staff...

One of the reasons I wanted a Mac was because I knew that the guys at the tech support center in Austin (Texas) were a few hundred miles away. Now granted, that's not like getting tech support from my next-door neighbor, but you get my point.

I'd use Windows... but I like the Mac OS more.
smeshy123

smeshy123 is on a distinguished road

an article I can agree with:

check it out. Apple seems to be entering the game kind of late, with already bad results from others

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/busin...0580/index.htm

Smeshy

15.4" Macbook Pro 1.83Ghz 2GB RAM 80GB HD Mac OS x 10.4.4
1.8Ghz P4 1024mb RAM 2x80GB, 1x160GB, 1x250GB HD's Windows XP and SuSe Linux 9
IPOD 6gb Lime Green Mini
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

I feel that's a bit harsh. Being an Indian, and having a cousin who works in tech support for Oracle USA she needed perfect qualifications in English, including a CAE certificate.

She also had to pose as "Nancy" on the phone.

I don't feel the quality of the support itself would be any worse than any supprot guy elsewhere. If the accents a problem, Apple should see to outsource to a company that makes sure their employees know to speak good clean english, even if it has a slight accent, but understanding slight accents is part of any normal persons knowledge (you shouldn't try seeling the idea that american english is "accent free" - it took me quite a bit of practice to understand spoken word in hollywood movies, being brought up in british indian english) .

Besides, let's take 3 guesses on where in the world the most advanced IT professionals come from? Hmm? Competence is important...

Someone stated non-native english speakers? Hello? India's national languages are Hindi and well... duh, english, and the latter is more widespread than the former.
Please, people, who do you think are at the phones there? Farmers?

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.

Thread Closed

« Black Friday Sale | Circuit City Has Mac »