New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Apple will 'set the world on fire' with iPhone 6 sales

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Apple will 'set the world on fire' with iPhone 6 sales - Computerworld

Last edited by bobtomay; 07-26-2014 at 08:01 PM.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I hope they get those "fires" going soon because the new Samsung "Galaxy S 5" with a 5.1" screen is selling like crazy around here. The large screen and sleek body makes my iPhone 5c look "left behind".
QUOTE Thanks
pm-r

pm-r is a jewel in the roughpm-r is a jewel in the roughpm-r is a jewel in the rough

I'm always a bit concerned when I read such articles that includes the "...analysts said this week..." part.

And especially concerned over at least part of the name "analysts"...
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I'm beginning to think we should keep a scorecard on these guys to see who has the best accuracy. You just can't please some of these guys. Let's not forget some of them have been behind some Apple predictions that were way out there. Apple TV set for example.

I stopped attenting to this when I realized there was no pleasing some of them. If the new iPhone arrived Monday and had phenomenal sales numbers there will be something to complain about.. The whining would follow one of three likely lines:

1. If sales were high but didn't reach analysts expectation gloom and doom will follow immediately. The "failure" will be blamed on some missing feature that its mot clear people actually want. This would be followed by a lengthy treatise on how Android is not only killing iPhone but the iPone will be obsolete within six months. The proposed replacement will be android based with a screen the size of the flight deck of the U S S Ronald Reagan.

2. If Apple doesn't produce enough phones to meet the initial demand they will be cast as idiots for not anticipating demand well enough.

3. If they have a surplus of phones available then it's gloom and doom because clearly they aren't selling what they expected to sell.

Apple has made numerous mistakes over the years. Some real others imagined by analysts. Some mistakes were bad management others were part of the cost of innovation. For now I;ll ignore the analysts.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
WolfsBane

WolfsBane will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.

I have news for those analysts... Customers don't care about their projections. The rumors these past two weeks of delays, unavailability of the sapphire glass in these models, plus now the news that the 5.5 inch phablet may be pushed back to 2015 are making a lot of people waiting to upgrade and new phone buyers pretty ticked off. Many of them feel that there isn't enough features and innovations in these phones to justify the hype. I'm seeing a ton of people walking in to the Verizon store or Best Buy to start to seriously research the LG G3, Samsung GS5, and the new HTC phones as their next purchase. And still more of them are waiting for Samsung to release the new Samsung Note 4.

Apple needs to "knock it out of the park" with the two versions of the iPhone 6, or they will be losing, not only potential new customers, but also current iPhone clients as well. Apple has waited too long, IMO, to advance features on its phone product lines, and the competition has been catching up, and in some sense, leaping forward. The only thing that has been stopping some customers from jumping at the competition has been the hesitancy of moving to Droid, and the promise of a larger and more feature ladden iPhone, and apparently, Apple is not all that ready to deliver the goods this year.

Hope Springs Eternal
Welcome... to the house of Rock and Jazz!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Lovely just what we shareholders like to hear!

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
pm-r

pm-r is a jewel in the roughpm-r is a jewel in the roughpm-r is a jewel in the rough

My youngest son, an avid Apple users would certainly agree with your comments I'm sure, and like so many others, he and his wife gave up on Apple and their top-end iPhones and became one of the many switchers to "the other side" and their cell phones many months ago.

And their decision was based on both hardware and available software, so I'd say Apple has a lot of catching up to do in their cell phone market for a lot of users.
QUOTE Thanks
ericpicc

ericpicc is on a distinguished road

Catching up is over I think, when you look at the other brands out there what could Apple really do to leap forward.
Not much really, add a few extra gadgets, and tweak the software and really thats about all.
It will only do well because its Apple by name.
The iPhone should have been what the Samsung and HTC is today with the release of the 4s.
I for one looked at the other brands and only went with the iPhone 5s because everything is in sync with our other Apple products, apart from that I felt let down by Apple with the lack of advancement.
But lets hope I'm wrong and the phone will be out of this world, or at least compete with the others, till then I'll keep on using my 5s.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

If the Galaxy S5 is selling like hotcakes, I wonder why Samsung doesn't seem to know that?

Samsung reports 15 percent revenue drop from previous quarter | Electronista

In particular: "IT and Mobile Communications (the latter being the smartphone division) underperformed as well when compared to the $34.6 billion (35.54 trillion won) in 2013. It represents a decline of $6.9 billion (7.09 trillion won), or about 20 percent."

This is not to say Samsung's on the rocks or anything, but the Galaxy S5 is pretty widely acknowledged as, well, a product that failed to meet sales expectations, like the Galaxy S4 before it. Samsung, in point of fact, makes most of its money on low-end phones, not its high-end products. This is their major advantage over Apple, IMO -- they compete in lots of markets Apple doesn't even bother with (and I'm not referring to just phones here).

I also read with interest a survey that indicated that approximately 35 percent of Android users would switch to an iPhone if they made one with a larger display. I'm dubious about that being perfectly accurate, but it has been my experience that every single person -- without exception -- whom I have ever asked "why did you buy this Android phone" has answered in one of two ways:

a. "Bigger screen" (the vast majority)
b. "Free on contract or cheap with no contract"
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Accidentally drop a S5 into water then a IP5. Which will work afterwords. That alone impressed me. Sorry. And accidents happen with cell phones.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Accidentally drop a S5 into water then a IP5. Which will work afterwords. That alone impressed me. Sorry. And accidents happen with cell phones.
That is the single best quality of the S5 in my opinion. Definitely something worth considering, if they haven't already duplicated it with the iPhone 6. Too many people lose phones this way. I was thinking about this just the other day while we were in an amusement park. How easy would it be to get splashed or caught in rain.... and what would I do with my phone if I did?

I like the Lifeproof and similar cases, but they are bulky and expensive. Truly, all Apple would need to do is add a few O-rings / gaskets in the right places and the iPhone would survive just as well.

The sad thing about it is that there is zero short-term financial incentive for Apple to do this, so the likelihood is that they won't.

It won't stop me from buying an iPhone 6 (sorry, but Android's apps still suck), but definitely something that costs them some customers for sure.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
TomServo

TomServo will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 27" iMAC 3.20GHZ INTEL CORE I3, 1TB SERIAL ATA DRIVE, ATI RADEON HD 5750 1GB GDDR5, 12GB DDR3 RAM

I would agree with that analysis, I'll part with my 2 year RAZR HD w/a iPhone with at least a similar size screen.

Apple is late to the game and finally discovered folks really want BIGGER screens.
QUOTE Thanks
jt1968

jt1968 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" Retina, 8GB RAM, 250GB SSD, Intel i7 2.3GHz.

My middle-aged eyeballs have been struggling with the iPhone 5s 4" screen, so I'm eagerly awaiting the iPhone 6! I'll have to wait until both models (4.7" and 5.5') are available, to compare the two side by side, to see which one I can see better and which one is more practical, size-wise, to carry daily.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
iPhone 6 Plus 64GB / MacBook Pro 15" w/ Retina Display (2012)
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

That's a good point. I put a drop proof case that I purchased from OWC on my 5c but took it off after 5 days. It just made the phone too bulky to carry around in my pocket. If the iPhone 6 likewise winds up being too bulky even with the larger screen, I'll pass. Phones with larger screens and bulk seem not to be a problem for the ladies because they carry them mostly in their purse. My wife's purse is as large as a business person's briefcase.
QUOTE Thanks
WolfsBane

WolfsBane will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.

Samsung's failing to meet sales expectations can be attributed to the specific market that they heavily target. Couple that with the Chinese dumping cheap duplicates in the market. And both LG and HTC have stepped up their products. In the higher end, Apple has stayed ahead due to their marketing plan, software and hardware integration, and the fact that their phones are still reachable from a cost standpoint. I was reading a business oriented site the other day stating that Apple was planning to increase the price of their phones, 'allegedly' in order to recover some of the cost of new innovation such as their sapphire glass. And though I understand some of the rationale, IMO, the results would be disastrous. Apple can absolutely not price themselves out of competition,and that including the US higher and mid level markets. Not when you have comparable products from Samsung, LG, and HTC hot on their heals. They may not be as polished as the iPhone, but they are excellent products in their own right and each one has at one point or another, (Samsung Galaxy S5, LG G3, and the HTC One M8), receive strong reviews from owners and technical sites as being the best mobile devices in the market today. Apple absolutely does not want to paint their products as being unaffordable in today's market.

Hope Springs Eternal
Welcome... to the house of Rock and Jazz!

Last edited by WolfsBane; 08-17-2014 at 11:20 PM.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 12.9" iPad Pro | New 5K 27" iMac teardown by iFixit »