Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Apple Rumors and Reports (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-rumors-reports/)
-   -   New Slim 12" MacBook and MacBook Air Updates Soon (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-rumors-reports/309692-new-slim-12-macbook-macbook-air-updates-soon.html)

Exodist 03-21-2014 09:44 PM

New Slim 12" MacBook and MacBook Air Updates Soon

Just seen this post come across my feed over on Mac Rumors..
New Slim 12" MacBook and MacBook Air Updates Soon - Mac Rumors

Seems that new 12 inch Mac Book Air will support Retina display..

I just hope it comes with reading glasses, the smaller screens Apple keeps sticking us with is driving me crazy. I honestly shed a tear when they dropped the 17" MBP line..

TattooedMac 03-21-2014 09:59 PM

Beat me too it :P

Not sure if I'm keen on this. Wonder what the cooling system is ??

pigoo3 03-21-2014 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exodist (Post 1573599)
I just hope it comes with reading glasses, the smaller screens Apple keeps sticking us with is driving me crazy. I honestly shed a tear when they dropped the 17" MBP line..

Don't shed too many tears. 1920 x 1080 on a 17" display is pretty tiny too (last 17" MBP's).;) 1680 x 1050 was better (earlier 17" MBP's).:)

- Nick

chscag 03-21-2014 11:02 PM

LOL, you can tell who the "middle age" folks are when you see complaints about the high resolutions Apple is using. My 27" iMac is 2560 x 1440 which is pretty high for an old fella like me, but sure is nice when I can display 3 pages of a Word document on the screen at the same time to edit. :)

chscag 03-21-2014 11:07 PM

Quote:

Not sure if I'm keen on this. Wonder what the cooling system is ??
Probably a massive heat sink if the rumor is true. However, I doubt that it would have no fan since you couldn't move the warm air out and draw in cool air. Unless of course the case is made like swiss cheese! :P

pigoo3 03-21-2014 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chscag (Post 1573608)
LOL, you can tell who the "middle age" folks are when you see complaints about the high resolutions Apple is using. My 27" iMac is 2560 x 1440 which is pretty high for an old fella like me, but sure is nice when I can display 3 pages of a Word document on the screen at the same time to edit. :)

Very true Charlie…very true!;)

I'm not exactly sure of the actual physical size of the text (pixels)…but I find the text size easier to read on my 27" iMac (2560 x 1440) than the text on my 17" MBP (1920 x 1080). Both computers at their native resolutions of course.:)

Either way…the reading glasses are necessary!:(

- Nick

chas_m 03-22-2014 02:16 AM

A few things:

1. This is a rumor, not a report. It may not be true. In fact, there's a good chance its not -- rumors sites I've been tracking for two decades now have around a 50 percent accuracy rate. It would make a certain amount of sense for Apple to make only one MBA model, but the "11-inch" model is actually 11.6 inches, so this would be an unnoticeable change (apart from the Retina quality) for most MBA owners. Under this scenario I guess they'd drop the 13-inch model and leave that to the MBP line. Still more of an educated guess than a real insight IMO.

2. A Retina Display does not change the size of ANYTHING compared to a non-Retina display, it just doubles the pixels so that what is displayed is CLEARER and SHARPER. Don't take my word for it, go to a dealer and compare them side-by-side.

Yog 04-06-2014 12:24 AM

MBA 17 inch

MBA 17 inch is what I need desperately...! (Obviously retina display and as much powerful hardware as Apple could offer)

MBP17•David 04-06-2014 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yog (Post 1576496)
MBA 17 inch is what I need desperately...! (Obviously retina display and as much powerful hardware as Apple could offer)

Hear-hear!

I do hope Apple brings back MBP17 with Retina display, even though mine doesn't feel dated at all ... yet. All that space inside wasted by SATA could house 32GB of RAM and 4TB of flash storage ... mmmm :$

chscag 04-06-2014 12:38 PM

You have to think that a fully loaded MBP 17" machine with a retina display would easily cost over $3000. Are you ready to pay that much for a notebook computer even if it's a Mac? However, I don't believe Apple will bring back the 17" model. The trend in notebook computers for all manufacturers is to keep them small and light weight.

Slydude 04-06-2014 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chscag (Post 1576542)
You have to think that a fully loaded MBP 17" machine with a retina display would easily cost over $3000. Are you ready to pay that much for a notebook computer even if it's a Mac? However, I don't believe Apple will bring back the 17" model. The trend in notebook computers for all manufacturers is to keep them small and light weight.

Have to agree there. Other than the increased horsepower of a new machine I wouldn't jump at a new machine based on screen size. I use my MP Pro primarily as a desktop machine with a second monitor attached so the extra size doesn't really help there.

MBP17•David 04-06-2014 03:52 PM

Quote:

You have to think that a fully loaded MBP 17" machine with a retina display would easily cost over $3000. Are you ready to pay that much for a notebook computer even if it's a Mac?

Actually, yes I am. I've been using 17" laptops for over 12 years now, and really don't want to change - it suits me perfectly. I haven't had a desktop for almost as long... If I can have an option to buy a built to order, state-of the-art 17" MBP every three years or so, I'd pay $5,000 for it, never mind $3,000: my current one wasn't much cheaper than that in September 2010, plus all the upgrades - it's most likely well over 5 grand by now anyway ...

Quote:

However, I don't believe Apple will bring back the 17" model.

I'm afraid, you're right - and that means I have to re-think my setup, most likely 27" iMac and 15" MBP ... I don't like changes :Oops:

pigoo3 04-06-2014 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBP17•David (Post 1576588)
I'm afraid, you're right - and that means I have to re-think my setup, most likely 27" iMac and 15" MBP ... I don't like changes :Oops:

Probably the closest setup to what you have now...is a 15" MBP & a large (24"-27") external monitor (for when you are at home at a desktop).:) This would be MUCH less expensive than a new 15" MBP AND a 27" iMac.

- Nick

Yog 04-16-2014 09:49 PM

I love the screen size of my MBP 17 but I hate the weight it carries. Therefore would love to have 17 inch Macbook Air. Though I love my MBA 11-inch for ultra portability but it lacks screen size I want.

....you can't always get what you want....

pigoo3 04-16-2014 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yog (Post 1578388)
I love the screen size of my MBP 17 but I hate the weight it carries. Therefore would love to have 17 inch Macbook Air. Though I love my MBA 11-inch for ultra portability but it lacks screen size I want.

....you can't always get what you want....

Sounds like you want a 17" display…with the weight of an 11" MBA!:)

At least you don't want the near impossible…a 17" display with the footprint of an 11" MBA.;) I say "near impossible"…since if they ever came out with a foldable display…this would be possible.:)

- Nick