Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Apple Rumors and Reports (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-rumors-reports/)
-   -   Snow Leopard updates (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-rumors-reports/309080-snow-leopard-updates.html)

cradom 02-28-2014 04:39 AM

Snow Leopard updates
 
From Slashdot this morning:

"As Apple issued an update for Mavericks, Mountain Lion, and Lion yesterday, Snow Leopard users have not seen a security update since September, 2013. This would not be noteworthy if Apple, like a host of other major software vendors, would clearly spell out its OS support policies and warn users of such changes, but they have not. Thus, the approximately 20% of Mac users still running Snow Leopard now find themselves in a very vulnerable state without the latest security updates."

Apple Drops Snow Leopard Security Updates, Doesn't Tell Anyone - Slashdot

chscag 02-28-2014 12:13 PM

You need to read further on down in this article, specifically the input from users like you and I. Lots of varying opinions. Also keep in mind that Apple is still offering Snow Leopard for $19.99 from their on line store - since it's required for access to the Mac App Store. Doesn't make sense in my opinion that they would abandon it. At least not at this point in time.

pigoo3 02-28-2014 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chscag (Post 1569963)
Also keep in mind that Apple is still offering Snow Leopard for $19.99 from their on line store - since it's required for access to the Mac App Store. Doesn't make sense in my opinion that they would abandon it. At least not at this point in time.

Just think if Apple stopped selling the Snow Leopard disks...since Snow Leopard is the "gateway" to the Mac App Store...and newer OS versions.

Snow Leopard install disks could get as expensive/valuable as 10.5 install disks used to be...and still are to a degree.

- Nick

MYmacROX 02-28-2014 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pigoo3 (Post 1569981)
Just think if Apple stopped selling the Snow Leopard disks...since Snow Leopard is the "gateway" to the Mac App Store...and newer OS versions.

Snow Leopard install disks could get as expensive/valuable as 10.5 install disks used to be...and still are to a degree.

- Nick

Hmm... buy a few and make a return on investment on CL or eBay a year from now? :$

pigoo3 02-28-2014 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MYmacROX (Post 1569989)
Hmm... buy a few and make a return on investment on CL or eBay a year from now? :$

Never know...always possible.;)

- Nick

dtravis7 02-28-2014 04:00 PM

One quick point, many feel that ALL OSX versions had that issue with the Goto. 10.6.8 does not have it so does not need to be updated due to that issue. running it here on older iMac and that test comes up green.

Agree on the rest.

toMACsh 03-01-2014 10:52 AM

All the big cats will be on the endangered species list sooner or later. I kept Leopard running until this January, and never had a security issue. So this "lack of support" is a yawner for me.

chas_m 03-02-2014 07:53 AM

As Snow Leopard is now five years old, it is coming to EOL for updates. Crucial security updates would likely still be issued for a little while yet, and the company just updated iTunes for Snow Leopard and later the other day (Feb 26, to be precise) for compatibility reasons.

There's no "mystery" here -- Apple has a very long tradition of active support of OSes for three "generations" back or five years, whichever is longer. Looks to me as though that guideline is still in force, which means the OS will stop receiving updates of any kind (from Apple, anyway) by the end of the summer.

toMACsh 03-02-2014 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chas_m (Post 1570335)
As Snow Leopard is now five years old, it is coming to EOL for updates. Crucial security updates would likely still be issued for a little while yet, and the company just updated iTunes for Snow Leopard and later the other day (Feb 26, to be precise) for compatibility reasons.

Thanks for the tip. Just looked for it ahead of my scheduled run of Software Update. This is what it says about iTunes 11.1.5:

Quote:

This update fixes a problem that may cause iTunes to quit unexpectedly when a device is connected and improves compatibility with iBooks for Mac on OS X Mavericks.
I assume it is compatible with Snow Leopard, or it wouldn't have shown up for me. SO doesn't find much, of course with SL as my OS.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.