New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Rumor of new Mac Mini coming end of Feb..

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Exodist

Exodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, dual 23" LED Displays

Seen this posted over on Mac Rumors about possible new MM. Here is the link.
http://www.macrumors.com/2014/01/22/...mini-february/

I however don't expect to see one till mid summer as that would coincide with their normal 18 month refresh. However depending on Ivy Core chip availability, there could be a CPU update in the current models. If that did happen, I wouldn't expect anything else in the system to be updated and I wouldn't see this impacting the 18 month refresh either.

Now if they would just remove the internal PSU and put in a real GPU.. LOL

NEW!! Exodist Photography Video Blog
***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***
QUOTE Thanks
Algus

Algus will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.5 ghz i5, 16 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD (5200 RPM)

Looks like Apple is helping me spend my tax refund. I'd really like to move from my Ivy Core i5 to a top-end Haswell. The i5 bottlenecks me on a few things :/

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

A real GPU and I might could be convinced to get one.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Roger and + 1 on that.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Roger and + 1 on that.
And space to add a second or even third HD.

EDIT: At this point I would just be glad to see a reconfiguration of the Mini's internal such that replacing the HD didn't entail pulling the Logic Board . . .

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Algus

There are two bays in there if you want to pull that logic board out lol. It isn't actually to difficult. OWC has some great videos on the procedure but yes I agree with you, I would vastly prefer it if the bays were more easily accessible.

I love Apple but I sure as heck ain't paying what they want for RAM and storage!

I'll be fine with Iris graphics (HD 4000 is pretty good IMO) but a dedicated GPU would be great. They've done it before. As long as it doesn't make my Mini blow up. I've definitely noticed a performance hit after a long session of The Old Republic on my Bootcamp partition

QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algus View Post
There are two bays in there if you want to pull that logic board out lol. It isn't actually to difficult. OWC has some great videos on the procedure but yes I agree with you, I would vastly prefer it if the bays were more easily accessible.

I love Apple but I sure as heck ain't paying what they want for RAM and storage!

I'll be fine with Iris graphics (HD 4000 is pretty good IMO) but a dedicated GPU would be great. They've done it before. As long as it doesn't make my Mini blow up. I've definitely noticed a performance hit after a long session of The Old Republic on my Bootcamp partition
iFixit also has a procedure on it.

Thought about it, but too many opportunities to break something for me. My fingers aren't as agile as they once were. So, to me, the operation becomes a "do it when the HD dies" affair, rather than a nice week-end project.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Exodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, dual 23" LED Displays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algus View Post
There are two bays in there if you want to pull that logic board out lol. ........

I'll be fine with Iris graphics ........

LOL yea been there done that.. I removed my 1TB Factory HDD and replaced it with a 256GB Samsung 830 series I had for a while now.. So much worth it. I am putting in the 1TB a long side it here in a few weeks, just waiting on my OWC kit to come in from the states.

Apple is sinister on their RAM prices, storage is little high but still within some reason.

HD4000 is OK, although its on the low low end of mobile graphics. Iris Pro is better but still is out performed by both ATI and nVidias mobile gpu offerings. I also don't see them ever putting a dedicated GPU back into the Minis, matter of fact I suspect they will remove it from the iMacs as well. Apple has invested a great deal of time and money with Intel to develop Iris Pro graphics. I even read a few resources on the internet (if you believe anything on the internet.. LOL) that there is huge speculation based on the development of the Iris Pro and basically intels integrated GPUs that within about 2 years they should be competing heavily with dedicated mid ranged graphics cards. Which would be nice to play WoW on a iGPU and still get 60FPS on mid to high settings. But we will see..

QUOTE Thanks
Algus

I could see them only offering an Enterprise class GPU in the iMac but I'd be awfully surprised if they completely removed dedicated GPUs from the iMacs. The high end iMac is definitely targeted as a work computer.

I tell myself that one day I will build a new gaming PC but I just don't care about maxing the visuals as long as the chip can run my games adequately with decent draw distance. HD 4000 does that for me though my i5 is definitely a bottleneck for the kinds of games I play

I'm still using a pedestrian 1080p display though. If I ever set the cash aside for a Thunderbolt display, I'll probably be hating on the HD 4000 lol

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
I suspect they will remove it from the iMacs as well.
They've already removed the dedicated GPU from the low end or entry level iMac 21.5" model. If you want dedicated graphics in that model, you need to go to the next level model which of course will cost your more $$.

But I do agree with you about Intel developing a robust integrated GPU that will be on par with or even out-perform some dedicated graphic chipsets. The only thing I have against any integrated graphics chipset is that is borrows (or should I say steal) real memory from the system. And right now, the user has no control over how much is borrowed.
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
....... The only thing I have against any integrated graphics chipset is that is borrows (or should I say steal) real memory from the system. And right now, the user has no control over how much is borrowed.
Yea this has always drived me nuts about onboard video and now iGPU video. Even a HD4000 would run much faster if it had 2GB or even 1GB of the faster dedicated VRAM. But that introduces higher cost and more heat. Which price / performance wise prob would not justify the cost. Plus the heat. One could assume (I hate to ASSume as it could make me look like a <---) that they are just putting off this measure till they can manage a smaller die and lower heat ratio in conjunction with more adequately performing iGPU. Its safe to say if they achieve this and take the next step to add on chip VRAM. Apple will for sure then drop the mobile GPU in favor of a all in one CPU/GPU option. Which I would be perfectly happy with.

But then again that speculation and they could just as well start pumping nvidia 780s in all the systems tomorrow.. Cant never tell.. LOL

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

April is here - still waiting - now at 18 months since last upgrade to the mini.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Rumors + Apple = ??????

When it happens...it happens.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

You mean you refuse toy engage in rampant speculation and hand wringing? Keep that up and we won't be accused of being fan boys.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Nighthawk4

Nighthawk4 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad 32GB 3G, iPhone 16GB 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
+1

Ever better if they made the HD accessible without complete disassembly.

Best of all if they put the DVD drive back in, which is not likely
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple notifies winners in the WWDC ticket lottery . . Did you get a Notification ?? | New Blog: Learning the Command Line - Bash Prompts (1) »